Crater Lake, Oregon vacation property build thread - BASE CAMP ⛺️ (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice work! Your line of work seems very well suited to someone who enjoys the outdoors, Very cool.

The area near Elk Lake and Gold Butte Lookout is my favorite area. When I went to check it out early last summer Brietenbush road was closed from the fire. I stopped into Detroit Ranger station and asked if anyone could tell me how bad it was in the areas I like to go and one ranger was able to tell me the area was mostly unaffected up there. I hope he's right.
Elk Lake is awesome. I have yet to check out Gold Butte Lookout but have stayed overnight at Bull of the Woods Lookout several times. The trip for the eclipse was one I’ll never forget! This was the morning sunrise before the solar eclipse 2017
A7FFBFC8-E200-4697-A287-389105168470.jpeg

@Hojack Jason, have you done any solar powered well pumps? I've been on a solar kick lately looking at a bunch of different stuff and noticed there are kits now for solar powered well pumps.

@Hojack Jason, have you done any solar powered well pumps? I've been on a solar kick lately looking at a bunch of different stuff and noticed there are kits now for solar powered well pumps.
We’ve done several solar pumps. This one my dad and I installed in Tygh Valley on east side of Mt. Hood. This pump is a Grundfos SQE-FLEX.
DE087B2E-B30A-4A4E-AE1B-630BF0B1C809.jpeg
06EB4B9E-7922-42B1-84F8-0DBE80BD5E72.jpeg

Now all you need is a shaper to turn those into T&G planks!

@Big Ed

When you are planning the house layout keep a place in the middle for a wood stove. As you know it's cold much of the year and wood is abundant.

You want the chimney to be inside as much as possible and exit near the peak of the roof so that there's a strong draft and minimal creosote. Avoid any 90 degree bends, send that chimney straight up and out.

I've been really happy with my Jotul F45 and F55 stoves. It's a long drive but check with Dan at a Kleen sweep in Redmond, he's the best wood stove guy out here.

Went up on the east side of Mt. Hood to cut load of firewood. Due to COVID the $25 permit is free but takes about a week or two to get.
EFE8E279-3947-4F59-A8AF-2234BDD3D4C6.jpeg

Headed over forest road 44 where the tamarack grow. Got a nice load of tamarack firewood. The Tamarack, aka- Western Larch are the bright golden trees in the picture below.
0EB99E59-DD67-44BB-A473-1423590A1B88.jpeg

Also had a free permit to dig plants, so dug some Mtn. Hemlock, Engelmann Spruce, Tamarack, Mtn. Huckleberry and Beargrass to plant at the property in the next couple weeks.
72B92C37-B0B8-4564-BC52-8046F92A3F09.jpeg

US Forest Service
Interesting , pretty sure that’s a hard no up here.

Nice to get some native plants on your property though.

Due to COVID the $25 permit is free but takes about a week or two to get.

Here because of Covid all you need is the map showing off limits areas. No permit, no fee. We already had free or reduced cost permit before Covid, because of bark beetles.

535165C7-2E3D-4D6F-9B5D-BD8C18D3FDA6.jpeg

071D2945-2109-4738-ADB5-E40DCA622F18.jpeg

Headed to property after Thanksgiving to burn 🔥 my slash pile and get some peace & solitude. Hope ya’ll have a great one with the ones you love. This world is so crazy and only getting crazier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom