Dual battery in a 1991 FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone out there installed a dual battery system in a 1991 80? Seems like all the guides cater to the 93-97s. If anyone has suggestions for placement and battery trays that would be much appreciated.

The 93-97 battery tray/box is a direct bolt in on the 91-92 driver's side. The batteries are on opposite sides.

The 93-97 battery tray/box is a direct bolt in on the 91-92 driver's side. The batteries are on opposite sides.
Thanks for the reply - I saw that it was the case but because the configuration of the engine bay is different seems like that won’t work. The washer fluid bottle is in a totally different location. Looks almost like either up back near the horn or on the other side of the air intake would be the best place for a second tray

A1652BA3-E198-4500-9E0D-96DEB827FD22.jpeg

Thanks for the reply - I saw that it was the case but because the configuration of the engine bay is different seems like that won’t work. The washer fluid bottle is in a totally different location. Looks almost like either up back near the horn or on the other aowould be the best place for a second tray

Thanks for the reply - I saw that it was the case but because the configuration of the engine bay is different seems like that won’t work. The washer fluid bottle is in a totally different location. Looks almost like either up back near the horn or on the other aowould be the best place for a second tray
Should work no problem, you only have to remove the fan setup on the right side. The "injector cooler" apparatus or whatever the heck it is (believe "engine cooler" is correct term) is basically a hair dryer pointed in the intake manifold's general direction. Might have to "relocate" the EGR as well, can't remember though.

IMG_0285.jpeg
IMG_0286.jpeg

Should work no problem, you only have to remove the fan setup on the right side. The "injector cooler" apparatus or whatever the heck it is (believe "engine cooler" is correct term) is basically a hair dryer pointed in the intake manifold's general direction. Might have to "relocate" the EGR as well, can't remember though.

View attachment 2846488View attachment 2846489
This is great intel. Thanks so much. I had not previously seen a pic of a 91 done this way. Time to get to work!

Managed to get this all sorted out this weekend. Using a battery tray from the FZJ80 was a great suggestion - we did the “hair dryer” delete and there was plenty of room to fit it in. Happy to field more questions in the future if people have questions about the kit we used etc.
7B91A3A6-FF65-4613-8BB8-47537D3120B1.jpeg

345939FD-F25D-4C88-A88A-8296D17F3C28.jpeg

4B417574-FC7C-4B5C-8DB3-128A3ACD7720.jpeg

75F6BC8B-1040-42A2-96CF-9ABE493C7E9C.jpeg

Managed to get this all sorted out this weekend. Using a battery tray from the FZJ80 was a great suggestion - we did the “hair dryer” delete and there was plenty of room to fit it in. Happy to field more questions in the future if people have questions about the kit we used etc. View attachment 2972708

View attachment 2972709

View attachment 2972710

View attachment 2972711
Was the hair dryer delete all that you needed to do? How does this effect the vehicle?

It’s fully broken - I just got this home and it has a lot of issues that need addressing. I have new terminal on order.

Second battery is for the fridge and the winch!
Just seeing this now, but I did some research when recently re-wiring my terminals on my dual battery '94. At least with the IBS dual battery controller on mine, they specifically note to wire the winch to the primary battery with all other "extras" pulling from the secondary...fridge, secondary lighting, extra outlets, etc. Hope this helps and that your project is coming along ok!

Managed to get this all sorted out this weekend. Using a battery tray from the FZJ80 was a great suggestion - we did the “hair dryer” delete and there was plenty of room to fit it in. Happy to field more questions in the future if people have questions about the kit we used etc.
How’s the setup working are you stilling running it aside from the fzj tray what kit did you use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom