Top cap question(s) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

projectTuRD

SILVER Star
Threads
So I attempted to bolt my cap down to the sides a little better this weekend.
I know it’s the wrong year cap based on the windshield rail.
However, everything else lines up, hole wise, down the side(s).
The problems arise when I try to get both sides bolted together, along with the door spreader bars.
It’s like the cap is too narrow.
The L brackets at the windshield are way to the inside, and I can only get ~4 bolts from the sides to the cap in.
I stored it on its side over summer, could the outer rails bend in enough to make that much difference?
4261F766-2DEA-4FE1-8FE2-A79C80F4FFB4.jpeg

47917188-7A55-470F-8018-B3635D0ED5FB.jpeg

EDED25B0-3178-4770-B7A7-92F69281CE19.jpeg

All bolts everywhere loose? That’s how I usually have to get them lined up. And a helper to push and pull while you try to get the bolts in.

All bolts everywhere loose? That’s how I usually have to get them lined up. And a helper to push and pull while you try to get the bolts in.
Yes, the only bolts that were tight are (2) each side trapped in the door bars, everything else was a fight just to get more than one in.
There’s only (4) holding the cap to the sides and the windshield brackets are way off. 🤷🏼‍♂️

It looks about likely mine usually does. I usually use an awl or screwdriver to help align the parts together.

In my hardtop thread below I’ve got a comparison of the difference between header bars on the windshield.

It looks about likely mine usually does. I usually use an awl or screwdriver to help align the parts together.

In my hardtop thread below I’ve got a comparison of the difference between header bars on the windshield.

Good to know about the offset of the header bar. Not only are the holes wrong on mine (they’re butchered around the wipers) but I won’t even worry about drilling the rest of them out.
I keep threatening to get the right bar from CCOT, but I’d love to find the correct top cap instead.

I
Good to know about the offset of the header bar. Not only are the holes wrong on mine (they’re butchered around the wipers) but I won’t even worry about drilling the rest of them out.
I keep threatening to get the right bar from CCOT, but I’d love to find the correct top cap instead.
I’ve had both caps and they’re exactly the same. I’ve swapped the gutter from a newer top onto my ‘74. Later I swapped the ‘74 header bar onto an ‘81. The dimensions, shape, contours, and even the holes were the same.

Unless there’s something majorly wrong with your cap, I’d simply swap your header bar and move on.

No weatherstrip?

I wouldn't assume that the top of the windshield frame is in the right spot. I had a '73 and the windshield frame dash screws were pulled out of the dash, low rust vehicle. I'm just saying that the hinge kinda makes the windshield frame top move around a bit, maybe at times, too much. Maybe that is causing the drip rail to bow out a bit if the brim of the fiberglass cap is bowed too much or too little one way or the other?

Consider part assembly sequence as possible margins for wiggle.

Do the hard top sides sit good on the tub? Is the tub /body mounts solid?

Last edited:
I

I’ve had both caps and they’re exactly the same. I’ve swapped the gutter from a newer top onto my ‘74. Later I swapped the ‘74 header bar onto an ‘81. The dimensions, shape, contours, and even the holes were the same.

Unless there’s something majorly wrong with your cap, I’d simply swap your header bar and move on.
How did you attach the header bar?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom