Trunnion Bearings - Opinion needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am setting up to replace the inner axel seals on my front end. When I rebuilt the axel 30k miles ago I did not realize I needed to offset the seal to get out of the grove on the axel so I have a leak.

All of the seal kits I see also come with new trunnion bearings. I replaced all the bearings and races on my front end when I rebuilt it. Should I go ahead and replace the trunnion bearings again while I am in there or just skip that part? Seems like they'd still be ok with that few of miles. It's not a ton of time saved but it will make the job faster not pounding the races out and new ones in.

Did you use OEM bearings the last time?

OEM part number 90366-20003?

If you didn't use these, replace them with these.

Screenshot 2021-11-19 at 21-40-55 OEM 1991-1997 Toyota Land Cruiser Steering Knuckle Bearing P...png

I would repack them if they look ok, but that may be my wallet speaking

This is new to me. Im the type that usually replaces most stuff with OEM. Are the OEM trunnion bearings that much better? Im not arguing either.

I believe they are. I admit I'm biased.

The Koyo bearings came with the Marlin Crawler front axel rebuild kit, so not OEM. I was looking at the kit from Cruiser Outfitters. Appears from the pictures they also supply Koyo bearings with their kit.

Koyo is an OEM manufacturer. I would regard then as equivalent to anything that came out of a red and white box. In many cases, what comes out of the red and white box will be stamped Koyo

Koyo is an OEM manufacturer. I would regard then as equivalent to anything that came out of a red and white box. In many cases, what comes out of the red and white box will be stamped Koyo
That's what I had heard as well.

Can anyone tell me what the replacement schedule is for the grease/seals in the knuckle? Seems like all the seal kits (except the toyota factory one which is double the price) come with trunnion bearings. I assume that is because you should be replacing the trunnion bearings whenever you do seals?

Trunnion bearings come in knuckle kits, because by the time you have the knuckle apart, it doesn't make sense to not replace them.

I've replaced trunnion bearings at about 160k miles that were toast! Total failure, severe wear, and clunky operation due to wear.

Kurt at cruiseroutfitters has everything you need

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom