Land Cruiser Winterization and Rust Prevention Treatments (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NookShneer

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
instagram.com
They say “Rust never sleeps”. “They” probably owned a Landcruiser. Get schooled by the “Headmaster of Rust Prevention” @Kleatus in our recent blog post. Pros and Cons on two of his favorite rust prevention treatments. Use as a two part system that will help preserve your pride and joy and keep it rolling longer. Special thanks to @Kleatus as a guest author. 🙏 Link bellow.

https://cruisercult.com/blog/f/prepar...

Anyone contemplating using Fluid Film anywhere in their vehicle should verify they aren’t allergic or sensitive to it.
I sprayed some of that crap inside my doors and I could never breathe properly inside the car EVER again. It ruined my cruiser. No way could I ever sleep in it again.

Most people say that the persistent foul odor of Fluid Film doesn’t bother them, but for me - it permanently contaminated my cruiser. Biggest mistake I ever made spraying that stuff inside the frame.
The stink NEVER goes away.
Yes it stops and prevents rust- but for some sensitive individuals .. you’ll pay the ultimate price.

I tried a few of them including fluid film. I ended up with Transtar Amber. It sticks to everything and adds a waxy coating. It smells for a few weeks depending on your climate. But once it fully cures it has zero smell Did all the doors and hidden areas in my Troopy. Odd thing is that it looks like rusty water when its applied. So when its it drips out the door drains, it scares you at first.

Wish it was another color...

Anyone contemplating using Fluid Film anywhere in their vehicle should verify they aren’t allergic or sensitive to it.
I sprayed some of that crap inside my doors and I could never breathe properly inside the car EVER again. It ruined my cruiser. No way could I ever sleep in it again.

Most people say that the persistent foul odor of Fluid Film doesn’t bother them, but for me - it permanently contaminated my cruiser. Biggest mistake I ever made spraying that stuff inside the frame.
The stink NEVER goes away.
Yes it stops and prevents rust- but for some sensitive individuals .. you’ll pay the ultimate price.
Interesting. I don't notice the smell after a day or two, but areas I sprayed in on a few months ago look like they dried out. Maybe dust absorbed it all and fell off?

I can't get the gun to suck up the Fluid Film, it is too thick

I've just starting to replenish the Fluid Film treatment on my truck, I like it.
It is constantly on the move which is a great thing but it doesn't last forever for that reason too. You have to live with the fact that it moves out of holes....fo example I do have a slight barely visible ring around the 4wd sign on the tailgate, It really only appears after driving down a dusty road. I weigh the rustproofing way higher than that.
I believe that its properties are quite good and it very activly slowed down the rust. Did the complete inner lower roof with it - took the headlining off to gain access. Tried to find every cavity in the bodywork. I have a small part of the roof / gutter where the FF found a way and weeped out on to the upper front door seal. I noticed that the seal had swollen and softend up after a while. Closed the pinhole with a bit of RTV and the door seal went back to its original shape.
Just yesterday when I did the rear inner body/quarter panels that I noticed that the FF had soften up the factory sealing which is applied at the joint between outer skin and inner wheelarch. Quite happy about this as I had some rust in this area before - and the factory seal effectively prevented the FF penetrating that area from the inside. I have "cleaned" a bit at the top of the inner wheelarch and filled it up again with FF, that way I hope that it will be sucked into that laminated area.
I had the "sheep" odour for a bit after applying it into every cavity but it never worried me too much, thought at least it's natural (sort of) Haven't noticed it after a while. Slept often in the cruiser on camping trips too.
Its so easy to apply with a quality pressurized spray gun - I have a handheld nozzle and a probably 1.5 metre long sonde / probe which is handy in the A / B / C D pillars and right around the upper windscreen.
When I was still working in Germany we applied a grease product (Mike Sanders) which has earned immense reputation in Europe for rustprofing - but you had to heat it up before applying and it was a true mess in the process. Wearing full PPE was a must. But the results outperformed every other product available - both in protection and longevity. Being greasy it stayed much longer than the relativly soft FF. It's not available in NZ and probably not in the US either. Maybe you have a similar product. Quite happy with the FF though as for ease of applying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom