1996 Land Cruiser EV Conversion - EVJ80 Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is a really fascinating read, thanks for posting.

Hypothetically, if one was to convert a manual transmission vehicle, could the functionality of the gearbox be retained somehow?
Realize, he is NOT using the transmission, only the transfer case.

You would technically remove the manual transmission altogether. However, it would give you incredible amounts of low end torque to twist off things.

Very cool. I briefly considered putting an EV in another project I have going but looking at the crate options out there they were either way too small or way too costly. Don't know why I never considered getting a wrecked EV to salvage from. Too late now, since I picked up an LS for it but I am very interested to see how your project comes out.

I believe there was an article a ways back in 4 Wheel Drive Toyota Owner magazine that showed a company in Africa (I think) that did an EV swap in a land cruiser. It was a totally custom set up and big dollars if I recall correctly. Still the idea was cool. If I get some time I'll have to go dig through my magazines and see if I can find it again.

Why did you choose 3/16" steel for the battery cage? Are you trying to make something that will protect the battery in a collision?

I understand that many people doing the quick conversions on smaller vehicles like Fiats and VW, they attach the electric motor to the manual trans, however they just Leave it in a gear and that's it. There are issues of extra weight and some transmissions may not like being spun backwards for reverse when you aren't putting it in reverse. I think having a transfer case allows you to not have the transmission and gives you gearing options to set it the way you need it for the electric motor. I have considered getting a hydrogen Toyota wrecked for a future option on my pickup, but they are crazy expensive even wrecked and i don't know enough about those safety measures to know i can get them back up and working after accidents etc. I don't care about the hydrogen fuel stations right now as i could figure out how to make my own on a hobby vehicle until availability increases. Just fun to have the projects and see what people are building.

Stay tuned! Of course it can charge by solar, it will just take friggin forever. I've got some plans along these lines that are going to be awesome :cool:

I'm just a hobbyist into cars of all types and interested in EVs.

The same reason I don't have a G-Wagen. I'm on a budget. I also want to finish this project and actually drive it. If I had a dollar for every time someone said "you should use Tesla" to me I'd have enough to buy a Tesla. I got my wrecked LEAF for less than $4000 including the fuel to pick it up. I'd have to spend 4-5x that amount to get a wrecked Tesla. Also a Tesla is basically a driving battery. The engineering and packaging in those cars is insane. Trying to package that into a DIY build would be an exercise in futility. I've seen others try and fail or stall out or end up with 1/3rd the anticipated battery capacity etc etc.

My 100 will satisfy my long range cruisering and it will tow my EV 80 to the trailhead.

Lastly, as just trail rig and around town driver the range and performance will be fine. And let's not kid ourselves, the 1FZ ain't winning any races. Also the upgrade path is clear, I can install batteries in so many locations on the truck, gas tank, exhaust, spare tire, along frame rails, etc. Also I can just do an inverter swap and double my current horsepower. I did think about this for a few minutes before I started ;)
I’m green- really admirable build. Would love to see it on the trails when you get there.

Just for information- Some have succeeded swapping a Tesla package into a different chassis-

Last edited:
I’m green- really admirable build. Would love to see it on the trails when you get there.

Just for informatio- Some have succeeded swapping a Tesla package into a different chassis-

"The jaaaaag." - Jeremy Clarkson

Yes also they are just generally lower quality because they are a cheaper car. The early ones are worse than the later ones. I would like to have active water cooling and use it as cabin heat but I'm not sure if it's even worth it. I used to have a LEAF and really the battery didn't get above 100F that often if ever. Lithium batteries are actually in their happy place at 94-98F and produce the most power/can charge the fastest at that temp. In AZ and hot climates LEAFs suffer badly but not as much otherwise. It also helps that LEAFs are only 80kw (100hp). The least powerful Tesla has almost 3 times that power.
I think the cold affects the batteries more than heat. You're right they are happier when warmer.

This is by far the coolest build I have seen here on mud!

Just curious about your thoughts on AC. May have been included here somewhere but didn't see it. I know that may be an electrical draw but have you thought about how you'd spin the compressor? Separate electric motor and pulley with belt?

Last edited:
Wow thanks for all the positive comments, guys. Been busy working on this battery box. It's a huge chore, spent a few hours grinding yesterday. I didn't know Jurassic Park was supposed to have 80s. That's fricken cool.

This is a really fascinating read, thanks for posting.

Hypothetically, if one was to convert a manual transmission vehicle, could the functionality of the gearbox be retained somehow?
Yep lots of people do that but find they only use 2nd and 4th usually. 2nd for low speeds and 4th on the highway. It really comes down to the purpose of the vehicle, budget, etc. It's quite popular and a lot of companies sell bolt on adapter plates to popular trannies like 22R 5-speeds, Miata, Ranger, and the like. IMO it's a lot of bulk and mass and takes up valuable space for just 2 speeds being used.
Very cool. I briefly considered putting an EV in another project I have going but looking at the crate options out there they were either way too small or way too costly. Don't know why I never considered getting a wrecked EV to salvage from. Too late now, since I picked up an LS for it but I am very interested to see how your project comes out.

I believe there was an article a ways back in 4 Wheel Drive Toyota Owner magazine that showed a company in Africa (I think) that did an EV swap in a land cruiser. It was a totally custom set up and big dollars if I recall correctly. Still the idea was cool. If I get some time I'll have to go dig through my magazines and see if I can find it again.

Why did you choose 3/16" steel for the battery cage? Are you trying to make something that will protect the battery in a collision?
Yes EV stuff is crazy expensive right now. I could easily spend $20k to get a similar battery brand new for instance. There is an official production 70-series EV for mining in SA and Australia. Those things are seriously awesome. I believe they also direct-drive the motor into the factory 2-speed transfer case like I'm doing.

I didn't choose it so much as I had a bunch of scrap in that size and it seemed to work out. I do want the battery to be very well protected. I'm planning on 35s and hitting some really gnarly trails so it needs to hold up to bouncing around up and over rocks and mud holes and everything. Plus the possibility of a rollover is not out of the question. Production EVs have their batteries seriously encased in steel and lithium battery fires are definitely no joke.

I understand that many people doing the quick conversions on smaller vehicles like Fiats and VW, they attach the electric motor to the manual trans, however they just Leave it in a gear and that's it. There are issues of extra weight and some transmissions may not like being spun backwards for reverse when you aren't putting it in reverse. I think having a transfer case allows you to not have the transmission and gives you gearing options to set it the way you need it for the electric motor. I have considered getting a hydrogen Toyota wrecked for a future option on my pickup, but they are crazy expensive even wrecked and i don't know enough about those safety measures to know i can get them back up and working after accidents etc. I don't care about the hydrogen fuel stations right now as i could figure out how to make my own on a hobby vehicle until availability increases. Just fun to have the projects and see what people are building.
Like you say batteries are just one source of energy for the EV. Personally, I'm going to skip hydrogen fuel cells and go straight for a radioisotope thermoelectric generator :alien:

Just for information- Some have succeeded swapping a Tesla package into a different chassis-

Super cool Jaaaaag. This type of classic car to EV conversion is going to be massively popular in the next few years and for good reason. I really want to do an early 90s BMW 7 or Merc S-Class. Ditch the engines that just cause so many problems and keep the rest of the beautiful exterior and interior and ride quality etc.

I think the cold affects the batteries more than heat. You're right they are happier when warmer.
Cold limits their output but doesn't cause damage. Heat on the other hand accelerates the build-up of dendrites within the cells that cause degradation and in extreme cases short-circuits inside the cell itself.

This is by far the coolest build I have seen here on mud!

Just curious about you thoughts on AC. May have been included here somewhere but didn't see it. I know that may be an electrical draw but have you thought about how you'd spin the compressor? Separate electric motor and pulley with belt?
Either was going to spin the compressor with a small DC electric motor caveman style or was going to plumb in the LEAF AC compressor to the lines. AC takes 2000-3000 watts or something like that. Maybe on a really hot day 5000 watts.

It’s been a long long time since I’ve seen a thread on here that I couldn’t scroll past without clicking on. Very cool to see this being done, and as far as I know, this is the first 80 series EV swap going on

Still working on the battery box. It's coming together slowly but surely. I made the top bolt-on and off for assembly and finished up the mounts. It uses 4x FZJ80 engine mounts so it should be very secure. I estimate the battery box total weight will be 500lbs or so.

A46SHTV.jpg

LMO4yY3.jpg

IZGxqLD.jpg

713iOk4.jpg

K5xirHR.jpg

eC5edU2.jpg

hITxAdG.jpg

BYTpoLB.jpg

I also scored a winch for $400! I am planning on building all the armor on this truck from scratch myself. I need a tow-bar on the front of this truck so it can be flat-towed and also for rescuing it from the trail if it breaks down. I'm thinking of building a "stinger" that can unbolt and rotate down to become a tow-bar. Has anyone seen anything like that before?

aJ6SIEH.jpg

I've not seen anything like that with a stinger. You might be able to fab a rigid bar that attached to some d-ring tabs (which you should have anyway). It could fold up against the bumper and lock into place somehow that it could double as a stinger. You could even put stops for it out from the bumper face that would give it some angle. Now I have ideas floating around in my head...

Another option is I just put d-ring tabs in the front and use a short strap and 3 shackles to make a triangle that connects to a longer tow strap.

You could also incorporate a receiver hitch into the bumper and have a tow bar that could insert into that.

Does the battery actually connect to the box? Also given the height you might consider a couple angled cross bars from top (or below the bolt on portion) to bottom to add some rigidity. Looking good though, I assume 500lb includes the battery pack?

The few results below from a quick google search that I did makes it seem like the pivoting stinger/towbar is very doable. I bet there are more and better ideas out there if you dig a little more but you should be able to just design, fab and build something on your own from the skills you are showing in this thread.

Thanks for the links, that's exactly the type of thing I'm thinking of. And yes I have been posting photos on Instagram @electric_land_cruiser Login • Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/electric_land_cruiser/ so feel free to follow me there. I tend to post more detailed photos there.

I've not seen anything like that with a stinger. You might be able to fab a rigid bar that attached to some d-ring tabs (which you should have anyway). It could fold up against the bumper and lock into place somehow that it could double as a stinger. You could even put stops for it out from the bumper face that would give it some angle. Now I have ideas floating around in my head...

Another option is I just put d-ring tabs in the front and use a short strap and 3 shackles to make a triangle that connects to a longer tow strap.

You could also incorporate a receiver hitch into the bumper and have a tow bar that could insert into that.

Does the battery actually connect to the box? Also given the height you might consider a couple angled cross bars from top (or below the bolt on portion) to bottom to add some rigidity. Looking good though, I assume 500lb includes the battery pack?

The battery stacks will be bolted to the box with big angle brackets that are welded in. Yes ~500lbs with the batteries and ready to install in the truck.

Great build my friend . I am very excited to see the end results . I have a lot of vehicle testing experience and building heavy equipment from the ground up in my career as an engineer . If you ever need another mind to walk through any issues feel free to reach out .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom