Is this a good buy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

generally, the fewer the leafs in a spring pack the harsher the ride will be.
there are lots of options out there
your intended use of the rig should be the most important factor.

I helped a friend install this kit and it is very stiff. Rough Country springs do not give you a smooth ride on or off road.

Anyone who has a4 inch lift, what did you buy? I am trying to figure it out, and I am not to familiar I'm this field.

You won’t get a smooth on road experience in an Fj40. OME would be smooth-er
How high would I need to lift it to run 33's?
Because all I'm looking for is a more aggressive stance, and to be able to run bigger tires.

2.5" is enough for most 33" tires. Some 'real' 33s don't measure to more than 32" in reality. A 255/85/16 is a real 33 and works with an OME 2.5". Start with that and if you want more height, you can add shackles to get a little more.

I have also heard good things about dobinson springs.

Last edited:
i’ve had bds (thick leafs and small number) which rode very harsh and OME which made a world of difference. they are really nice (remembering that it is still an fj40) comparatively…. and i run 33x12.5 with no troubles.

2.5" is enough for most 33" tires. Some 'real' 33s don't measure to more than 32" in reality. A 255/85/16 is a real 33 and works with an OME 2.5". Start with that and if you want more height, you can add shackles tonight a little more.

I have also heard good things about dobinson springs.
2.5 is what you want IMO! OME is nice or a set up like I have below which is Pro Comp springs with Bilstein shocks with BFG 33x10.5. Great ride on and off road!

IMG_8954.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't verified this but I've been told and heard around that the OME 2.5" is more like 3". I've got it on my '76 with 33x10.5 BFG M/T and haven't yet put it to the test but looks like plenty of room.

Hey, I was looking at some lifts for my fj40, I have some shackles, and other things...

But has anyone bought this, and is it any good.

Thanks, again.
I’ve researched this, and I will probably go with a skyjacker 4 inch lift down the road. What I’ve found in my research is OME 2.5 inch lift is good for 33x10.5 tires while the skyjacker is good for 33x12.5 lift. Each one of those looks really cool IMO. OME is generally softer from what I’ve read, but skyjacker is pretty soft too apparently. I leaned rough country as well just because of the price, but I was informed that suspension is something you will keep for years or even decades, so best not to cheap out on it

4 inch is more tippy, especially if you add a roof rack but you can fit the wider tires. 35s will need fender cutting in both lifts

I’ve researched this, and I will probably go with a skyjacker 4 inch lift down the road. What I’ve found in my research is OME 2.5 inch lift is good for 33x10.5 tires while the skyjacker is good for 33x12.5 lift. Each one of those looks really cool IMO. OME is generally softer from what I’ve read, but skyjacker is pretty soft too apparently. I leaned rough country as well just because of the price, but I was informed that suspension is something you will keep for years or even decades, so best not to cheap out on it

4 inch is more tippy, especially if you add a roof rack but you can fit the wider tires. 35s will need fender cutting in both lifts
Is this a good kit as well?
I am already putting on new shackles, therefore I don think I need it that high.
So I will probable just go with this.

Is this a good kit as well?
I am already putting on new shackles, therefore I don think I need it that high.
So I will probable just go with this.
Those are jeep springs by the way

Do you have a build thread? I’d like to see your truck

These springs will fit. They are more expensive but you definitely do not want to cheap out on springs. You will be thankful later. I know we are young and we can take some abuse from a harsh ride but these will help not only with road manners but also articulation and off road manners over the rough country. Worth spending the extra cash

Last edited:

you're putting on new shackles? what are you putting on?
longer shackles aren't great for springs
you need to slow down and figure out what you are doing

you're putting on new shackles? what are you putting on?
longer shackles aren't great for springs
you need to slow down and figure out what you are doing
Alright, all I have so far is 1.5 inch shackles. Are you saying I should not suspension lift it too?

Alright, all I have so far is 1.5 inch shackles. Are you saying I should not suspension lift it too?
Extended shackles raise the truck half the added length, but don't fix worn out springs. It's a temporary fix to lift. If the springs are flat or near flat, get new springs. If the shackle angle is greater than 45*, get longer shackles.

If you want a lift, get new springs. Shackles are a band-aid and usually give you subpar shackle angles unless correcting for longer length springs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom