80 series steering box into a 60 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
I have read on here that the 80 series steering box is a good replacement for the 60 series one to tighten up the steering with less wandering in the road.
I am hoping someone can confirm that the 80 series power steering box would be a direct replacement for my 1988 HJ61?
Are there any modifications that need to be made, or is is a direct bolt-on job?
Are all 80 series power steering boxes the same (early or late years and petrol / diesel)?
Thanks heaps!
Drew

Hi all,
I have read on here that the 80 series steering box is a good replacement for the 60 series one to tighten up the steering with less wandering in the road.
I am hoping someone can confirm that the 80 series power steering box would be a direct replacement for my 1988 HJ61?
Are there any modifications that need to be made, or is is a direct bolt-on job?
Are all 80 series power steering boxes the same (early or late years and petrol / diesel)?
Thanks heaps!
Drew
Hey there! All 80 boxes are the same. Only modification I had to do to my 62 was cut some metal off that splash shield thing that goes around the steering shaft. Original power steering lines threaded right in!
I believe the HJ61 steering box would be the same as the FJ62 box and would thus be a straight swap. I reused my 62 pitman arm as well.
Here is a video I did on the swap:

Worked as a drop on for me on a 1/87. It’s a great upgrade.

My original box had 310k miles on it, it was done for.

Thanks heaps everyone (especially red66toy for the video) for all the replies!

I just now need to source one - and will go from there! Hopefully soon there will be no more boat steering!

Extended length front shackles or usually higher arched lifted front leaf springs will change the caster angle of the axle housing for the worse which makes tracking worse. To get it back to normal, caster shims under the front spring packs help

Can I get a clarification?
The 80 series box works on 85+ 60 series right?
Would it work on an 83 60?

Can I get a clarification?
The 80 series box works on 85+ 60 series right?
Would it work on an 83 60?

Yes to first question. The steering box mounting pattern for later FJ60s, FJ62s = that of 80 series. Bolt pattern for an 83 differs and the 80 series will not fully bolt up. IIRC only 3 of the 4 bolt holes will align.

I
Extended length front shackles or usually higher arched lifted front leaf springs will change the caster angle of the axle housing for the worse which makes tracking worse. To get it back to normal, caster shims under the front spring packs help
second this. I had the 2* and now 4*.

4* got be back to stock range for caster. It drives really straight.

Hi all,
Thanks heaps!
Drew
yes, the 80 box will replace your 60 box. many also replace THAT sector shaft with one from a LC 105 series. IF your truck is RHD, you better get a RHD replacement box too.

Well I am pretty happy as over the weekend I managed to buy a rebuilt 80 series power steering box, that had already been rebuilt with the 105 series shaft - for $300 (AUD).
Any tips for swapping the pitman arms (getting each of them off without wrecking anything???)

Well I am pretty happy as over the weekend I managed to buy a rebuilt 80 series power steering box, that had already been rebuilt with the 105 series shaft - for $300 (AUD).
Any tips for swapping the pitman arms (getting each of them off without wrecking anything???)
for a RHD truck correct? You have a link for that item (80 box, 105 sector shaft)? That price seems very agreeable. I wonder if they'll ship to the USA?

Has anyone done the 80 series box on a pre85 with the trapezoid bolt pattern? Interested to know what would be involved

Has anyone done the 80 series box on a pre85 with the trapezoid bolt pattern? Interested to know what would be involved

You would have to move the sleeved bolt holes in the frame. Nothing that a little grinder/drill/welding action can't fix.

The 80 box has a larger power piston, meaning it will provide slightly more steering assist. It is the same design overall as the 60 boxes, so it wouldn't be tighter or less prone to wander AFAIK, but it is more powerful.

You would have to move the sleeved bolt holes in the frame. Nothing that a little grinder/drill/welding action can't fix.

The 80 box has a larger power piston, meaning it will provide slightly more steering assist. It is the same design overall as the 60 boxes, so it wouldn't be tighter or less prone to wander AFAIK, but it is more powerful.
I really like the 80 assist in my 60. Feels really good.

That’s what I thought. Two holes would need to move ?

I like the idea of the 80 box for availability mainly

That’s what I thought. Two holes would need to move ?

I like the idea of the 80 box for availability mainly
Can't remember if it's one or two, but yeah.

Before I get stuck into ripping everything apart - does the 60 series pitman arm fit the 105 series sector shaft, or do I also need a new pitman arm?
If I need a new pitman arm - which one do I need to buy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom