KZJ78 Hard Start when Hot (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any ideas why my KZJ78 would take ~5 seconds to turn over when it's already warm? When cold it fires up immediately. I replaced the fuel filter thinking that could cause it.

Just to clarify, the engine turns over (cranks) for 5 seconds before it starts? Or it doesn't even crank for 5 seconds?

If it's turning over but not starting when hot, it could be related to the injection pump being worn. I had this problem and it went away when I put a brand new injection pump on the motor.

If it's not even cranking, I'd look at replacing the starter solenoid contacts.

Just to clarify, the engine turns over (cranks) for 5 seconds before it starts? Or it doesn't even crank for 5 seconds?

If it's turning over but not starting when hot, it could be related to the injection pump being worn. I had this problem and it went away when I put a brand new injection pump on the motor.

If it's not even cranking, I'd look at replacing the starter solenoid contacts.
Much appreciated. Yes, the engine turns fine and starter is strong but doesn't fire right up. I'll look into the injection pump. Appreciated.

Much appreciated. Yes, the engine turns fine and starter is strong but doesn't fire right up. I'll look into the injection pump. Appreciated.

Does it smoke when it does finally start?

If you put the throttle down all the way until it starts, does it start faster (when hot of course)?

Does it smoke when it does finally start?

If you put the throttle down all the way until it starts, does it start faster (when hot of course)?
Yes it does. It billows out a small cloud that dissipates quickly and it does seem to start faster with the gas pedal all the way down.

Yes it does. It billows out a small cloud that dissipates quickly and it does seem to start faster with the gas pedal all the way down.

That's pretty much how mine used to be before I put the new pump on. New pumps are NOT cheap; but I lucked out and found old stock new on shelf from Australia for $400. Usually they're about 10 times that much.

You could look at having yours tested/rebuilt, but not sure who can do that for the electronic pumps in north america. It's hard to say what actual part of the pump is wearing out. I assume its the plunger or pump head, but could be spill valve or something too I guess.

How many kms on the motor? Has it every had the injectors rebuilt? Pump serviced in any way?

That's pretty much how mine used to be before I put the new pump on. New pumps are NOT cheap; but I lucked out and found old stock new on shelf from Australia for $400. Usually they're about 10 times that much.

You could look at having yours tested/rebuilt, but not sure who can do that for the electronic pumps in north america. It's hard to say what actual part of the pump is wearing out. I assume its the plunger or pump head, but could be spill valve or something too I guess.

How many kms on the motor? Has it every had the injectors rebuilt? Pump serviced in any way?
I looked on megazip, and yes they're very expensive. I'll have my local mechanic check it out and go from there. They work a lot on the 1KZ-TE. I also reached out to RADD cruisers and they recommended someone who can rebuild it. From what website did you buy your replacement pump from?

I looked on megazip, and yes they're very expensive. I'll have my local mechanic check it out and go from there. They work a lot on the 1KZ-TE. I also reached out to RADD cruisers and they recommended someone who can rebuild it. From what website did you buy your replacement pump from?

Gumtree oz. Someone had bought the pump new as a spare when Toyota was clearing them out about 10 years ago. I bought it from that person. Brand spanking new in box. Was a thing of beauty!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom