100 series brakes (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OEM is the way to go. So many benefits with the OEM. Themy braking power has improved (had non oem, parts when I bought it) OEM brake parts help to get a good gas mileage as the materials are properly engineered by toyota to minimize drag and imperfections. My LC is giving me 16.5 to 17.7 MPG at 70- 85 MPH range with cruise on.

Not sure I’ve ever heard of pads contributing to gas mileage gains, but I suppose anything is possible.

A good reason to get OEM pads is they have great friction ratings — FG in the front and EE in the rear.

I installed the Powerstop Z36 brakes, and I have no complaints.

PXL_20210922_1641191972.jpg

Almost 3 yrs now with good stopping power but a ton of brake dust with the EBC Green Stuff HD pads and EBC dimpled + slotted rotors.
4C4B4A39-8842-42C1-BFA7-C2094D28562A.jpeg

While at it I highly recommend going to DOT4 or even DOT5.1 brake fluid THEN you will significantly see the difference.

Not sure I’ve ever heard of pads contributing to gas mileage gains, but I suppose anything is possible.

A good reason to get OEM pads is they have great friction ratings — FG in the front and EE in the rear.
If the pad materials are sticky, it will drag the rotors.

Are you saying the rotors or pads cause the drag?
Could be both. I am very pleased that I use OEM pads and rotors. My 97 4runner has non-oem rotors and drums and I am having horrible gas mileage in it. Worst than the LC. I am saying all these small factors contribute to the overall performance of a vehicle. It is not just a good engine.

Toyota doesn't make brake pads or rotors. They provide a specification to a supplier, and the supplier then either makes them themselves, or gets them from yet another supplier. Whether that's higher quality than what that supplier sells themselves is hard to say. Generally OEM parts are AT LEAST as good as what you can get in the aftermarket, for a significant increase in price.

If your brakes are dragging enough to impact your mileage, something is wrong with your brake system (sticky caliper or master cylinder), or you have the most insanely warped rotors I've ever heard of.

What pad and rotors are you guys using on your 100 series?

These aren't super-high-performance trucks. Plain rotors and some nice ceramic pads from Akebono, EBC, or Centric will work fine. I've had centrics on my LX for the last 40k miles. If you need cross-drilled or slotted rotors for anything other than looks, you're probably driving the wrong vehicle (not knocking it, they look really nice!). Most of the cross-drilled and slotted rotors out there start out as blanks from centric or other brake manufacturers, then are re-worked by the next vendor.

Side note....you really don't want cross drilled rotors if you're building up a lot of heat in your brakes. These were brand new before we started Daytona in our 165hp racecar:
signal-2021-05-21-170254.jpg

Last edited:
OEM front pads have a FG friction coefficient. I'm still running OEM front "turned" rotors. OEM front pads are some of if not the best pads available for our trucks with low dust.

1637161444519.png

I did kick the rear up to a FF Bosch pad. Too early to tell how long they will last. Low dust and good stopping power.

I wanted to step up a bit from the OEM EE rear pad that I'm sure have a long life.

1637158668091.png

Brembo Rotors front and rear. OEM pads front, whatever ceramic pads I can find for a decent price on the rears.

OEM rotors. To many aftermarket rotors made in China, have run-out issue. They also seem to rust fast. Excessive rust and the disk may separate.

OEM pads with OEM anti squeal shim kits. Or save on shim kits with premium ceramic Akebono pads. It's been suggest OEM are made by Akebono. Akebono come with attached anti squeal shims. Edited: The Akebono attached shim, is only the inner shim. We still need the outer shim.

Note:
Replace those rear slide pin boots, if any concern as to condition.
OEM and most front pads, come with attached wear indicators. Rears do not. Make sure to install a set.

Last edited:
OEM rotors. To many aftermarket rotors made in China, have run-out issue. They also seem to rust fast. Excessive rust and the disk may separate.

OEM pads with OEM anti squeal shim kits. Or save on shim kits with premium ceramic Akebono pads. It's been suggest OEM are made by Akebono. Akebono come with attached anti squeal shims.

Note:
Replace those rear slide pin boots, if any concern as to condition.
OEM and most front pads, come with attached wear indicators. Rears do not. Make sure to install a set.
OEM front brake pads are made by either NBK or Sumitomo (depending on which part number you use). Rears are made by Akebono.

And +1 on the slide pin boots! Good idea to regrease them every once in a while too.

This is NOT true "Toyota doesn't make brake pads or rotors. They provide a specification to a supplier, and the supplier then either makes them themselves, or gets them from yet another supplier. Whether that's higher quality than what that supplier sells themselves is hard to say."

Toyota makes their own parts and their specification and tolarance is 100%. They make their rotors, and pads are made by Sumitomo. No part maker in the world can make a part to match or exceed the quality of a part made by toyota.

All my toy's still have factory alternators (new brushkit installed), factory starters (with new contacts), factory AC compressors (no freon leaks!) all wheel bearings (except hilux and 4R rears). So much to list. All are above 220K miles. find anyother car maker that has this same quality and consistancy.

Last edited:
OEM front brake pads are made by either NBK or Sumitomo (depending on which part number you use). Rears are made by Akebono.

And +1 on the slide pin boots! Good idea to regrease them every once in a while too.

Yep. The manufacturer code should be the first set of characters on the edge codes. Mine are NBK.

1637238302476.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom