The Old GOAT - 1988 FJ62 preservation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all-

I recently became the new custodian for an original 1988 FJ62 with 142K miles. Pretty much everything works as it should, drives and stops fine, but with 33 years as a ranch truck and fly fishing guides rig, it needs just about everything inside and out.

Bumps and bruises all over, but I love and plan to preserve the patina.
Glamor shot.jpg

Original dash and the cleanest part of the carpets
Dash and carpet.jpg

Fly hooks in headliner are staying.
Fly hooks in headliner.jpg

Nothing says "Don't steal this POS" like some rust
Rear.jpg

The goal of this truck is to have a comfortable and reliable rig for the family to take skiing, hiking with dogs, SUPing and fishing around town and the back roads of Central OR.

Mechanicals, brakes, suspension, new tires, etc will be addressed first. The truck goes to Fit Garage here in Bend in a couple of weeks.

After mechanicals are sorted, I'll completely update the interior. Making plans for that now, although with supply chains what they are, the interior will be a Spring or Summer project...

Cheers,

Ron

Thought this looked familiar and just verified I reached out to seller on this one from FB Marketplace. Congrats!

Best of luck with it! Speaking of bumps and bruises...I'm sure that trailer hitch has claimed a few chunks of leg flesh in it's lifetime! Take caution when walking around your truck at night.

Best of luck with it! Speaking of bumps and bruises...I'm sure that trailer hitch has claimed a few chunks of leg flesh in it's lifetime! Take caution when walking around your truck at night.
No joke there thats gotta hurt hope you don't have a swear jar will fill up off one hit of that thing

That was my exact thought when looking at the truck, and the first thing I ordered.

Arrived today...
Hitch.jpg

Hey now, I named mine first! She’s the Wandering Goat, but often goes by “Old Goat.” Copyright infringement aside, she looks like a great start to a great friendship. I’m jealous of her history, I’d love to do more fly fishing but that’s not something one does in the evening in central AZ.

Clark

Took advantage of the time off this weekend to start working on the interior. Ripped out the carpet and jute in preparation of a new set from on order from @dnp. Installed new seats as well.

Before:
8AAEFA05-CE95-41CB-94D8-273F7F9FEE80.jpeg

Mid install. Drivers in
F9E8C4F3-5781-48FB-93B4-DEF94FC5A81C.jpeg

Installed Scheel-Mann Vario F XXL with heat…

Are your front seat belt receivers a replacement? They look perfect.

Took advantage of the time off this weekend to start working on the interior. Ripped out the carpet and jute in preparation of a new set from on order from @dnp. Installed new seats as well.

Before:
View attachment 2849871

Mid install. Drivers in
View attachment 2849875
Installed Scheel-Mann Vario F XXL with heat…
Wow! Those are nice, but expensive, seats. I never heard of them, thanks for posting. Looking for replacements for my Taco.

Been enjoying the truck in all this snow!

Had a bunch of work done since I got:
- New brakes, knuckles and hubs done
- New Blizzaks on the stock chrome wheels
- New muffler and exhaust
- New Dobinson suspension keeping stock springs
- Changed all fluids and tune up
- Wired up the seat heaters. So nice when it’s 24 outside!

Drives great, and no longer sounds like a Harley with that old rusted out muffler!

DF629AA0-2407-40BE-90F4-295EAFBE121D.jpeg

Phase I, carpet and seats, of interior refresh complete. Pulled old, ratty interior, leaving stock deadener in place. I added deadener, some butyl/foil material, where there was none, and then layered on top MLV from Second Skin over the entire floor. On top, the jute material and carpet from @dnp

Hardest part for me was pulling the cotter pin on the TC shifter in 7 degrees lying in the snow…
A2EB1552-7C13-4354-A156-9B6DE688500C.jpeg
377ECF36-CF65-48FA-9A6E-15D627A720B2.jpeg

Next up is new door cards. Are the cast iron cargo bay speaker grills original to a ‘88 FJ62?
99AAF5A5-C2BB-4055-9575-42DC6BC4013C.jpeg

Before you go and bolt on more stuff I highly suggest that you install a kill switch, alarm or some kind of locking gadget to stop the Meth heads from stealing your ride and since those seats cost a lot of money I would find a way to make it hard for someone to unbolt it with basic tools. Keep us posted on your build and Good luck.;)

Before you go and bolt on more stuff I highly suggest that you install a kill switch, alarm or some kind of locking gadget to stop the Meth heads from stealing your ride and since those seats cost a lot of money I would find a way to make it hard for someone to unbolt it with basic tools. Keep us posted on your build and Good luck.;)
Thx! That is unfortunately a concern nowadays and has been addressed but not documented.

Thx! That is unfortunately a concern nowadays and has been addressed but not documented.
Good, no need to post what you did or use to keep it safe coz even the Meth heads could read.:rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom