1976 FJ40 OEM New Fuel Tank 77100-60042 Part Number Available From Toyota. Has Anyone Purchased? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ackcruisers

SILVER Star
Threads
My local dealer can get 77100-60042 which appears to fit FJ40 1/75-1/79. Has anyone purchased one? Here is link on TPD.

MB4969F.png

Last edited:
Thanks @OGBeno appreciate the verification and images of the tank. I do not trust TPD.

Yeah, it's in my build thread as well - fairly reasonable if you shop around, different dealers had different shipping rates. Nice tank, but expected as it's OEM. I didn't expect a hand-lettered part number, but neat in an old-school sort of way.

Came *surprisingly* fast - I figured it would come by boat as an uncommon item, but I had it in a few days.

Can anyone please share what the cost of this OEM tank was.

Yes. it's $390 via Toyota Parts Deal. Your local dealer will sell it for about $450 includes shipping if you ask for their best pricing.

Thank you Sir!

Yeah, it's in my build thread as well - fairly reasonable if you shop around, different dealers had different shipping rates. Nice tank, but expected as it's OEM. I didn't expect a hand-lettered part number, but neat in an old-school sort of way.

Came *surprisingly* fast - I figured it would come by boat as an uncommon item, but I had it in a few days.

Just received my factory Toyota fuel tank 77100-60042 yesterday. Noticed the paint is matte finish…it may even just be primer. Did you (or anyone) top coat your tank prior to install?

056E59C8-53AB-4D24-AD67-B8BF9FF58B02.jpeg

E5D4AE40-D6F9-4A81-B74B-255504470139.jpeg

I painted both of mine with 2 thick brushed coats of rustoleum.

I didn't but think I probably should have. I was in a rush to get it installed so we could fire her up for the first time. I rinsed it out really good with water and let it dry in the warm garage. Granted my rig is only driven when the weather is nice and doesn't see the elements.

I didn't bother, but as long as it's coated it's ok to me. Topcoats are more for being able to clean easily, sunlight/UV protection, and impact/scratch resistance...none of which matter too much for the tank.

Definitely doesn't hurt, though, and OEM was definitely shiny. I'd wager it was more about plant economies at the time...probably the same paint they used on the rollbars. :p

Has anyone used the Cool Cruisers replica tanks (LINK)? Similar price to OEM, but the CCOT tanks are galvanized. I'm on the fence about which one to buy and wanted to get some input from the group....

I recently bought a CCOT tank for my '77 FJ40. Found that the stock fuel tank cover didn't fit over it, the rear of the tank was wider than my stock tank (for some reason)...

I recently bought a CCOT tank for my '77 FJ40. Found that the stock fuel tank cover didn't fit over it, the rear of the tank was wider than my stock tank (for some reason)...
I had the exact same experience with the CCOT tank I just put in my 40 this past weekend. It was tight, but I was able to get it on with only some minor swear words being used. I'll keep it as it until I'm ready to pull everything apart to blast and paint the tub, then I'll likely take a grinder and massage the flanges in a bit at the rear to get some more room for the cover.

The bigger fitment issue I ran into was where the rear of the cover attaches to the floor behind the seat. That flange was way bigger than the stock tank, and the holes didn't even come close the matching. Hindsight being 20/20, I would 100% buy the OEM tank instead. Lesson learned....

The stock OEM tank fit perfectly. I only had to paint it and fabricate the top cushions 77815-90300 and bottom 77651-60030 prior to install.
EA2CAE94-05B6-4923-9780-6E9B0F7CB7DA.jpeg

A69E18DE-DDFA-440D-95FA-594B2811A30B.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom