THANK YOU Mudders - The LS Swap is Done! (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not sure there is much to worry about it since gm stuff has so much aftermarket support. Lots of options.

There has be some value put on this. If my tranny died today, I can go pull one out of a junk yard the same day for $155 (+$30 core). If my engine died, I can get parts easy, quickly and affordable. I'm wrapping a toyota engine rebuild, it's nearing the cost of a new ls crate motor. If I need parts, I have to go to the 'yota yard or see the russian guy here in Denver.

There has be some value put on this. If my tranny died today, I can go pull one out of a junk yard the same day for $155 (+$30 core). If my engine died, I can get parts easy, quickly and affordable. I'm wrapping a toyota engine rebuild, it's nearing the cost of a new ls crate motor. If I need parts, I have to go to the 'yota yard or see the russian guy here in Denver.
That was my biggest reason for the swap - parts availability and price. And of course the power and MPG improvements.

And the LS is so easy to work on, a auto zone parking lot works for most stuff.
I'm planning on swapping in a 5.3l vortec (LMG) with a 6L80E + AdvAdapter brkt + upgraded Orion T-case...
My 427 bbc + TH400 (3 speed tranny) is a real sucker on any kind of road trip.
Any recommendations?

I'm planning on swapping in a 5.3l vortec (LMG) with a 6L80E + AdvAdapter brkt + upgraded Orion T-case...
My 427 bbc + TH400 (3 speed tranny) is a real sucker on any kind of road trip.
Any recommendations?
I would go with a bigger engine, you will be disappointed in my opinion going from a 427 to a 327. I would also not do the Orion. I would do a split case with 4:1 gears. It's quieter.

offroadvegan I have a low mileage drivetrain identical to yours available, 2010 I think.
How do you like the 4L80E? If you could do it over again, would you go 6 or 8?
What kind of mileage are you now getting since the swap? How are you geared? (i'm running 4.88's with 3FE currently)
Any insights into where I can pinpoint doing my research on how to do this specific swap? I hate studying lol

offroadvegan I have a low mileage drivetrain identical to yours available, 2010 I think.
How do you like the 4L80E? If you could do it over again, would you go 6 or 8?
What kind of mileage are you now getting since the swap? How are you geared? (i'm running 4.88's with 3FE currently)
Any insights into where I can pinpoint doing my research on how to do this specific swap? I hate studying lol
Hey! I am getting about 13 average now. And I misspoke - I have the 4l60e. I don't mind it - I didn't do this swap to burn 1/4 miles. I do think I need to dial up the line pressure on the trans.

Thats a super clean looking truck

You should post ALOT more pictures

Hey! I am getting about 13 average now. And I misspoke - I have the 4l60e. I don't mind it - I didn't do this swap to burn 1/4 miles. I do think I need to dial up the line pressure on the trans.
Awesome work! Glad you finished it. Can you give more info in clearance between transmission pan and front driveshaft? Thank you!

Awesome build! Are you planning on getting a tune done to get the mpgs up?

Haha! Yeah I’m with you on the 1/4 miles! But this 3FE is so underpowered it’s a pita dealing with traffic and highway runs, and right now I’m averaging 9-10 mpg at best. I just want to be able to get into traffic without getting rear-ended, and to improve mpg. Thanks for the feedback!

Haha! Yeah I’m with you on the 1/4 miles! But this 3FE is so underpowered it’s a pita dealing with traffic and highway runs, and right now I’m averaging 9-10 mpg at best. I just want to be able to get into traffic without getting rear-ended, and to improve mpg. Thanks for the feedback!
I’m dealing with an tired 1fz 312k on the dash, same issues as you

I’m dealing with an tired 1fz 312k on the dash, same issues as you
I just turned 253k yesterday. I can only do about 72 on the interstate, on a good day, without it constantly surging and losing power. Some days I can only do 60-65. And supposedly it’s been rebuilt twice by 2 PO’s. It’s just time for a better power plant, especially with how hard it’s become to get parts for this thing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom