Everyone talking about rebuilds and swaps….am I throwing money into a pit building up a 240k mile rig? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hell, if you have the Ferrari & a great guy willing to do labor as long as you want to own an 80 well,

-ride that horse.

Enough said.

Good talk I’ll take it!!!

My friends make jokes with their escrapalades and pseudo “trucks” that I bought a 97 Toyota and I’m more excited about it than I’ve ever been excited about any vehicle, constantly telling them about my plans for it. They can’t grasp the concept that this is the truck I want to drive and it has absolutely nothing to do with anything superficial….

Good talk I’ll take it!!!

My friends make jokes with their escrapalades and pseudo “trucks” that I bought a 97 Toyota and I’m more excited about it than I’ve ever been excited about any vehicle, constantly telling them about my plans for it. They can’t grasp the concept that this is the truck I want to drive and it has absolutely nothing to do with anything superficial….
Yea most people view vehicles as disposable and can’t imagine why you would want something without heated seats, wireless charging and a payment

Yea most people view vehicles as disposable and can’t imagine why you would want something without heated seats, wireless charging and a payment

Beyond even that most people see a vehicle as a show of your worth, totally silly.

Don’t get me wrong my 2020 GX drives like a cloud and it’s definitely a REAL truck with all the bells and whistles, even if it is dated compared to most “luxury” SUV’s….but for me I never saw that as a bad thing I don’t equate luxury with dumb gadgets. But an 80 will always have a soft spot in my heart and it is the ultimate truck in my eyes, coupled with the state of new car prices right now I don’t want a crazy payment plus new car insurance when I can avoid it….the 80 just makes more sense to me in multiple ways. Also it’s nice that when my lease is up next month I’m probably going to make 15k off of selling it to one of the online sites….probably more now I haven’t checked in a couple months. Add to it just recently splurging on a Ferrari, something I never thought I would ever be irresponsible enough to do…..yea the 80 is right for me!

Props for treating yourself to a ‘Rari :clap:

If you got a Daytona, you gotta show (mega-whore for those)

:cool: - what’d you choose / what lines grab you?

Beyond even that most people see a vehicle as a show of your worth, totally silly.

Don’t get me wrong my 2020 GX drives like a cloud and it’s definitely a REAL truck with all the bells and whistles, even if it is dated compared to most “luxury” SUV’s….but for me I never saw that as a bad thing I don’t equate luxury with dumb gadgets. But an 80 will always have a soft spot in my heart and it is the ultimate truck in my eyes, coupled with the state of new car prices right now I don’t want a crazy payment plus new car insurance when I can avoid it….the 80 just makes more sense to me in multiple ways. Also it’s nice that when my lease is up next month I’m probably going to make 15k off of selling it to one of the online sites….probably more now I haven’t checked in a couple months. Add to it just recently splurging on a Ferrari, something I never thought I would ever be irresponsible enough to do…..yea the 80 is right for me!
Yea used prices are insane right now even carmax is paying good money they gave my wife within $2k of what we were going to ask privately for her Dodge work truck. What model Ferrari do you have we have always been fond of the older MT variants

Props for treating yourself to a ‘Rari :clap:

If you got a Daytona, you gotta show (mega-whore for those)

:cool: - what’d you choose / what lines grab you?

Yea I wish I would have loved a classic one I actually love the 348 and 308 but living in Michigan with our destroyed roads and trash weather if you actually want to drive your Ferrari you have to choose carefully. I didn’t want a garage trophy I want to actually drive her. I came really close to pulling the trigger on a 458 in Chicago but I just had this feeling that my first drive down my local chopped up road would rip the front bumper off and destroy the rims. I ended up with a California, the hardtop convertible works well in Michigan and the fact that it’s actually made to be driven instead of just being a street legal track car was the biggest selling point. Add to that it was local, priced really low even with today’s prices and it had a two year Ferrari extended warranty….sold. I was actually offered 20k more than what I paid for it the same day I bought it, I was tempted but after driving it I couldn’t sell it.

As much as buying a Ferrari is incredibly irresponsible I’m such a jackass I still tried to do it responsibly I guess. Really happy with it, 14k miles and completely mint, it looks more pretty and feminine rather than aggressive and that has grown on me and it’s one hell of a driving expierence…unlike anything else I’m still surprised by how much I love driving it. One thing though, the attention isn’t such a good thing especially here in the motor city I have some bad stories already….

BFA5C93E-B782-4265-B32E-3E3F3C840262.jpeg

CA76325E-79D9-4A91-B8C7-CDA9C08DB558.jpeg

But here’s my real baby 😘

She’s had some work done already, I’ll get new pics when she comes back from the welder…

ACC9975D-F69D-4572-B5A8-46211FE4B6FB.jpeg

79975793-75D1-44DB-A802-83922D53A204.jpeg

Yea I wish I would have loved a classic one I actually love the 348 and 308 but living in Michigan with our…”
That’s probably the most reasonable Ferrari you could have picked up, the Italian corvette. Awesome color combo and it’s still possible to be a 4 season car.

LC looks to be in relatively great shape love the color

That’s probably the most reasonable Ferrari you could have picked up, the Italian corvette. Awesome color combo and it’s still possible to be a 4 season car.

LC looks to be in relatively great shape love the color

Yea that’s exactly it, I can actually drive it somewhat regularly here in Michigan. But one day I’ll have that 458…I’m not rich it took all my nerve just to get the California though and with everything going electric including Ferrari I feel like the prices are just going to keep going up…..those late model ferraris might be unobtainable soon. Who knows

Don’t believe the pictures the clear coat is trashed on her, I’m thinking dark grey satin with the black front and rear aftermarket bumpers, sliders and fender flares….

Yea that’s exactly it, I can actually drive it somewhat regularly here in Michigan. But one day I’ll have that 458…I’m not rich it took all my nerve just to get the California though and with everything going electric including Ferrari I feel like the prices are just going to keep going up…..those late model ferraris might be unobtainable soon. Who knows

Don’t believe the pictures the clear coat is trashed on her, I’m thinking dark grey satin with the black front and rear aftermarket bumpers, sliders and fender flares….
Nothing a good body shop couldn’t fix, name a 90s JDM that doesn’t have some clear coat burns 😂

Yea with all of the major companies declaring EV only by 2030 I too feel that anything nice and ICE should hold its value well.

Yea I wish I would have loved a classic one I actually love the 348 and 308 but living in Michigan with our destroyed roads and trash weather if you actually want to drive your Ferrari you have to choose carefully. I didn’t want a garage trophy I want to actually drive her. I came really close to pulling the trigger on a 458 in Chicago but I just had this feeling that my first drive down my local chopped up road would rip the front bumper off and destroy the rims. I ended up with a California, the hardtop convertible works well in Michigan and the fact that it’s actually made to be driven instead of just being a street legal track car was the biggest selling point. Add to that it was local, priced really low even with today’s prices and it had a two year Ferrari extended warranty….sold. I was actually offered 20k more than what I paid for it the same day I bought it, I was tempted but after driving it I couldn’t sell it.

As much as buying a Ferrari is incredibly irresponsible I’m such a jackass I still tried to do it responsibly I guess. Really happy with it, 14k miles and completely mint, it looks more pretty and feminine rather than aggressive and that has grown on me and it’s one hell of a driving expierence…unlike anything else I’m still surprised by how much I love driving it. One thing though, the attention isn’t such a good thing especially here in the motor city I have some bad stories already….

View attachment 2840420

View attachment 2840421
….As realistic as any of Enzos’ you can really take out save a well-loved & driven older anything from 308-328 to Dino to even Daytonas.

Perfect balance of drivable / wash-n-wax to keep it snappy.

And you’re spot on / similar climate swings - they did the hardtop as design, not afterthought (Ahem, BMW <cough>).

I like the practicality of a good looking hardtop.

And you aren’t stuck in 512TR nightmare world :rofl:

The guys who are early Microsoft $$ have some impressive models in storage, but just that - unless you know them, those cars are nothing but stored F40’s thru Enzo’s (full linage in red :oops: ) - and a few orig Ford GT40’s in 1 guys collection.

Only guy of that set who really enjoys his stuff went w/ 3) E30M3’s & a Porsche GT3 in orange - he drives the P-car & 1 of the M3’s as pure DD’s.

———————

Can’t wait to see what you do w/ a 450, I’ve had 2 others beside the 1st & now prob last I want since it’s dialed to my flavor of perfection.

I only hope it’s still viable as a ‘fun run/DD’ when I mentally sunset or check-out, whichever happens in decades to come.

Nothing a good body shop couldn’t fix, name a 90s JDM that doesn’t have some clear coat burns 😂

Yea with all of the major companies declaring EV only by 2030 I too feel that anything nice and ICE should hold its value well.

As long as all these EV companies remember nonene (C9) - is where they get their plastic, we can only hope they keep distilling gas.

Recycle is great, but virgin plastic > all recycle blends.

As long as all these EV companies remember nonene (C9) - is where they get their plastic, we can only hope they keep distilling gas.

Recycle is great, but virgin plastic > all recycle blends.
Yea the main worry is probably actually the state of our power grid rather than plastics manufacturing… but we could do a whole thread on that

Other than basic bulls*** I don’t wrench at all and that’s probably the biggest issue, I have a great local mechanic that knows 80’s inside out and works out of his garage and work cheap but still probably not best to own a 25 year old truck if you’re not working on it yourself.

Also my second car is a Ferrari 🤦🏻‍♂️
Used Priuses are cheap, reliable and get 50 MPG even if you drive like an a******. I own one in addition to several old high mileage 4x4s and it saves me a ton of gas and stress. 65k miles, got it for $12k.

I’d guess that between an old LC and even a brand new Ferarri, there will be times you wish you had a third vehicle. Just a thought.

Seems like half the threads lately are about blown engines, I picked up a 97 LC with around 240k on the odo that I’m pumping a lot of money into with aspirations of it being an everyday driver to replace my 2020 GX lease, with my sports car on the side during the warmer months. She runs strong she actually feels better than my old 97 LX where i was the original owner that i sold at around 150k miles but still Is this an exercise in futility?

I’m half way into with parts coming in every day, mostly all that is left is slapping them on and paint. What do you guys think?
I have a stock 1997 that I picked up 5 years ago...family has been Cruiser heads since dad bought a new FJ40 in 1977. There's an '83 FJ60 sitting in the driveway with 188K miles on it (All stock)...1994 80 series behind it...my brother has a '97 80-series that he's building (374k Miles), and I have the all stock (except stereo) 1997 also (and NOT triple locked)...she's got 220K miles on her.

I'm working on getting mine back to a baseline status as the previous owners didn't take care of her.

As someone already said, there are worse holes to go down.

Think of it this way...the 80 series is THE MOST capable 4x4 ever made (in mine and others opinions)...there's a reason people want them. With an engine that's (from what I've read) designed for 600K miles before absolutely NEEDING an overhaul (and THREE full rebuilds before calling it a day)...if you want something that's JUST AS capable, you're going to drop probably north of $85K just to get KINDA-ALMOST THERE-close.

These things are worth it, despite being a gas loving pig ;)

Then again, as it's been mentioned, we didn't buy them for the easy fuel use.

;)

And more badass when you're done...
My cousin bought a brand new 4Runner in 2017 with ALL the bells and whistles and all the packages...spent better than $60k, I think...

...he's mentioned that he wished he would have bought an older 80 instead ;)

My cousin bought a brand new 4Runner in 2017 with ALL the bells and whistles and all the packages...spent better than $60k, I think...

...he's mentioned that he wished he would have bought an older 80 instead ;)
I wasn't downing 4Runners. I had a 3rd gen and that vehicle would go places in 2wd that it should never have been. Love 4runners. But they're different and so accomplish different things. I'd love to have a 5th gen as a daily.

I have a stock 1997 that I picked up 5 years ago...family has been Cruiser heads since dad bought a new FJ40 in 1977. There's an '83 FJ60 sitting in the driveway with 188K miles on it (All stock)...1994 80 series behind it...my brother has a '97 80-series that he's building (374k Miles), and I have the all stock (except stereo) 1997 also (and NOT triple locked)...she's got 220K miles on her.

I'm working on getting mine back to a baseline status as the previous owners didn't take care of her.

As someone already said, there are worse holes to go down.

Think of it this way...the 80 series is THE MOST capable 4x4 ever made (in mine and others opinions)...there's a reason people want them. With an engine that's (from what I've read) designed for 600K miles before absolutely NEEDING an overhaul (and THREE full rebuilds before calling it a day)...if you want something that's JUST AS capable, you're going to drop probably north of $85K just to get KINDA-ALMOST THERE-close.

These things are worth it, despite being a gas loving pig ;)

Then again, as it's been mentioned, we didn't buy them for the easy fuel use.

;)
Agree with most of that but pretty sure it's 600km's not 600k miles. Still ridiculous, but yeah...

Edit: and I was referring to the designed engine life, not saying a 1FZ COULDN'T go 600k...but that would be a specimen indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom