extended brake lines fzj80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OGBeno the Moderator way to pipe in with nothing usefull. your right all of those are obvious options. You must have solved this long ago congrats but I don't see any pictures for reference or part nubers that you have used.
This stuff is readily available through any Toyota dealer.
90947-A2015
96940-34705

Jon is that for front and rear? What size lift will those accommodate?
I don't mean to be rude, but @OGBeno is right. This stuff has been hashed out over and over again for at least the last 15 years.
Absolute Wits End has both aftermarket and OEM lines on the website. He even gives you the OEM part numbers and descriptions. All one needs to do is look.

The Slee steel braided lines have worked great on a 3” Slinky lift. I have a Toyota 96940-34705 line in my trail spares box, which is long enough to replace any of the Slee lines.

Here’s some pics of my front right Slee line.

E0C29DF5-284B-4898-83CB-7ED56A733AC6.jpeg

7445D21F-7446-4127-AF0D-E2E3410E9577.jpeg

448AA94F-3D14-440D-BAD7-15C57DC6D1A7.jpeg

I don't mean to be rude, but @OGBeno is right. This stuff has been hashed out over and over again for at least the last 15 years.
Absolute Wits End has both aftermarket and OEM lines on the website. He even gives you the OEM part numbers and descriptions. All one needs to do is look.
I agree, how long can one car be talked about? Let’s abandoned Mud because it’s all been hashed out and every mindset on the planet should be satiated by the information currently existing in the Mud library.

I’m so tired of mud. I think it’s time to change my handle or maybe instead I’ll buy a new purse.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for trying to help.
Most all the after market kits everyone has said just use these are not in stock.
Other then stock lines or ones like I got with the short female ends or some others that look the same.. maybe the picture is not the actaul part but for conversation lets say they are. Witts end would be my go to kit if avalible or if anyone can show me a kit they have installed with the longer female ends I would grab them. look at the photos and hopefully you will see what I am refering to as the female end.

THE PROBLEM
look at the last picture comparing the length of the female ends on OEM and the aftermarket I got. Those ends should be as close to the same length as posible when installed in the factory hard mounts, to allow the hard line to align, thread and fit correctly. That female end length could be different from the kits you memebers have suggested, or the brake line pictures I see on the sites, some sites even say picture might not be actual part. Solution get a hold of the mfg and ask right..

With the shorter female end brake line, the hard lines do not reach the female fitting on the new brake lines. see the pictures. so if one was to use the shorter style female end brake line, the hard line or the bracket has to be modified shorting the distacne between the hard line and brake line. The frame rail hard line would need to be streched to reach. I dont have that tool in my box! I saw a part shown for the upper mount that connects the line comming from engine compartment then couples to the hardline thru the mount shown in prevouse thread.. now if that mount #1 in the picture is lower, shortening the distance between the lower hard line and the brakeline bracket great the short female end brake line will reach.

AXLE end. same problem the shorter female end brake line does not reach the hardline.. I am betting that a lot of guys dont mind just tweaking and bending the stock hard line to make it reach the female fitting.. look how short that line is I dont think its a good idea to be tweaking that line.. now if I was stuck in baja and thats what I had to do I would in a hart beat to get back..

All this hasle to make a simple set of brake lines fit! Witts end wins hands down for ease of install based solely for me on the longer female ends.. Now I dont have a set of them to install so who knows maybe their females are to long cuasing another problem but if I could find set I would have already bought them lol.. Toyota of course they got it right they are OEM..

GOING OEM . look at the picture compare the length of the female ends on OEM and aftermarket I got. those ends should be as close to the same length as posible to allow the hard line to align and fit correctly. So OEM is going to be the correct female end length I am betting. The OEM brake line part numbers are sourced from other models is what I gather.. thanks for showing me the part numbers and I did see them on witts end, in stock and at my Toyota parts supplier.

Again the right side is in question.
Is the 2 1/8" extra length going to be enough for my lift shock combo? easy answer order the part put it on and cycle the suspension to see if it works..
Thanks To Landtank for piping in aboout his solution for the axle mount needing to be changed on the 93-94 models. I also saw that in the original thread in 2020 made note of it in my origanl post. by the way checked out your web site and saw some more money I need to spend.. Big beefy stuff fitting the name.

Last night I was hoping someone was going to save me all the work, being lazy maybe.. I have herd that a hammer and cresent wrench is all you need for the 80's but I am just not that good yet and still need my big tool box.. AND YOUTUBE!! This rig goes places I dont want to have to walk out of and like many of you my family is with me. All systems need to be up to factory spec. Being able to stop when you want to is kind of up there on my list of things a rig has to do well. Big Brake kit looks cool Land tank!! I undrstand most of these 80's need everything gone thru with the age and millage they have and thats part of the fun for me.. Not sure how old most of you are but if your in my generation and took any shop Classes in high school you must have seen the safety movies starring Primitive Pete.. He fixed things with a dull hamer and broken cresent wrench not my style. I want as close to a factory restore on everything I touch on this rig mechanically as posible. Dont care so much about making it a show truck needs to be dirty more time then clean!! Under powered, bad econnomy, heavy, hard to get parts for but there is something about a land cruiser you got to love..

These pictures are just what I ran into on my simple brake line swap to go along with the lift. I already posted the pictures of the different length female ends. When finished I will post similar pictures to show fittament, hopefully it might help someone..

frame side mount.jpg

frame line short female.jpg

axle mount.jpg

hard line.png

stock to short female end .jpg

great pictures of the slee brake lines, another mfg I cant find any in stock been on his list for them. did you do the install or mech? curioius if the hard lines linned up better then mine? I must be being to gentle just need to push the lines in line..
The Slee steel braided lines have worked great on a 3” Slinky lift. I have a Toyota 96940-34705 line in my trail spares box, which is long enough to replace any of the Slee lines.

Here’s some pics of my front right Slee line.

View attachment 2840096

View attachment 2840097

View attachment 2840098

Most all the after market kits everyone has said just use these are not in stock.
Other then stock lines or ones like I got with the short female ends or some others that look the same.. maybe the picture is not the actaul part but for conversation lets say they are. Witts end would be my go to kit if avalible or if anyone can show me a kit they have installed with the longer female ends I would grab them. look at the photos and hopefully you will see what I am refering to as the female end.

THE PROBLEM
look at the last picture comparing the length of the female ends on OEM and the aftermarket I got. Those ends should be as close to the same length as posible when installed in the factory hard mounts, to allow the hard line to align, thread and fit correctly. That female end length could be different from the kits you memebers have suggested, or the brake line pictures I see on the sites, some sites even say picture might not be actual part. Solution get a hold of the mfg and ask right..

With the shorter female end brake line, the hard lines do not reach the female fitting on the new brake lines. see the pictures. so if one was to use the shorter style female end brake line, the hard line or the bracket has to be modified shorting the distacne between the hard line and brake line. The frame rail hard line would need to be streched to reach. I dont have that tool in my box! I saw a part shown for the upper mount that connects the line comming from engine compartment then couples to the hardline thru the mount shown in prevouse thread.. now if that mount #1 in the picture is lower, shortening the distance between the lower hard line and the brakeline bracket great the short female end brake line will reach.

AXLE end. same problem the shorter female end brake line does not reach the hardline.. I am betting that a lot of guys dont mind just tweaking and bending the stock hard line to make it reach the female fitting.. look how short that line is I dont think its a good idea to be tweaking that line.. now if I was stuck in baja and thats what I had to do I would in a hart beat to get back..

All this hasle to make a simple set of brake lines fit! Witts end wins hands down for ease of install based solely for me on the longer female ends.. Now I dont have a set of them to install so who knows maybe their females are to long cuasing another problem but if I could find set I would have already bought them lol.. Toyota of course they got it right they are OEM..

GOING OEM . look at the picture compare the length of the female ends on OEM and aftermarket I got. those ends should be as close to the same length as posible to allow the hard line to align and fit correctly. So OEM is going to be the correct female end length I am betting. The OEM brake line part numbers are sourced from other models is what I gather.. thanks for showing me the part numbers and I did see them on witts end, in stock and at my Toyota parts supplier.

Again the right side is in question.
Is the 2 1/8" extra length going to be enough for my lift shock combo? easy answer order the part put it on and cycle the suspension to see if it works..
Thanks To Landtank for piping in aboout his solution for the axle mount needing to be changed on the 93-94 models. I also saw that in the original thread in 2020 made note of it in my origanl post. by the way checked out your web site and saw some more money I need to spend.. Big beefy stuff fitting the name.

Last night I was hoping someone was going to save me all the work, being lazy maybe.. I have herd that a hammer and cresent wrench is all you need for the 80's but I am just not that good yet and still need my big tool box.. AND YOUTUBE!! This rig goes places I dont want to have to walk out of and like many of you my family is with me. All systems need to be up to factory spec. Being able to stop when you want to is kind of up there on my list of things a rig has to do well. Big Brake kit looks cool Land tank!! I undrstand most of these 80's need everything gone thru with the age and millage they have and thats part of the fun for me.. Not sure how old most of you are but if your in my generation and took any shop Classes in high school you must have seen the safety movies starring Primitive Pete.. He fixed things with a dull hamer and broken cresent wrench not my style. I want as close to a factory restore on everything I touch on this rig mechanically as posible. Dont care so much about making it a show truck needs to be dirty more time then clean!! Under powered, bad econnomy, heavy, hard to get parts for but there is something about a land cruiser you got to love..

These pictures are just what I ran into on my simple brake line swap to go along with the lift. I already posted the pictures of the different length female ends. When finished I will post similar pictures to show fittament, hopefully it might help someone..

View attachment 2840159

View attachment 2840161

View attachment 2840162

View attachment 2840165

View attachment 2840166
Im normally the one over thinking things. But I think you may be over thinking things. Oem, aftermarket, and slee lines have worked for decades. For my aftermarket ones, I didn’t have to bend any hard lines and if you have to tweak it a little bit, it’s not the end of the world as long as they’re in good shape.

Also, the line length for all the options works great. I have a 2” lift and use the dobinsons 4” shocks, the lines have plenty of room at full droop.

Bottom line: if you reference the links/threads you say you’ve read, then you already have the info you need. Just order it and be done with it. The line you speak of being 3/16 longer or whatever is insignificant and unworthy of further discussion. Lots of good posts above mine giving you EXACTLY what you need and more. What else is there? Just order the lines from your local dealer or elsewhere.

I legitimately hope you find what you need but let’s be honest here, the info is here and very easily found and proven to be reliable; you just need to take action.

your right for I am over thinking it. just going to make the lines fit if they break they needed to be changed anyway,, Thanks
Im normally the one over thinking things. But I think you may be over thinking things. Oem, aftermarket, and slee lines have worked for decades. For my aftermarket ones, I didn’t have to bend any hard lines and if you have to tweak it a little bit, it’s not the end of the world as long as they’re in good shape.

Also, the line length for all the options works great. I have a 2” lift and use the dobinsons 4” shocks, the lines have plenty of room at full droop.

No problem! Sometimes this stuff puts me in a whirlwind too
No problem! Sometimes this stuff puts me in a whirlwind too
over think / over build haha.. not the 1st time I have herd that.. sometimes you just need to hear it.. do you think the toyota excutives said that to the original engineers working on the land cruisers!! haha

This stuff is readily available through any Toyota dealer.
90947-A2015
96940-34705
Bottom line: if you reference the links/threads you say you’ve read, then you already have the info you need. Just order it and be done with it. The line you speak of being 3/16 longer or whatever is insignificant and unworthy of further discussion. Lots of good posts above mine giving you EXACTLY what you need and more. What else is there? Just order the lines from your local dealer or elsewhere.

I legitimately hope you find what you need but let’s be honest here, the info is here and very easily found and proven to be reliable; you just need to take action.
With all do respect ( and a do mean that) to all the long timers and lifers Here:
This is crap, and I've been on Mud for over 10 years, and I thought Beno's response was cranky too... I have a lot of respect for Beno and understand what he's given to the LC world, but The purpose of Mud is to learn and interact. The OP HAD searched, read the threads, and still had questions... The new stuff did not look like the old stuff and he was worried about making a bad decision. If all that is learned and interacted upon has been exhausted - then close all the threads, cut off new posts, and archive the site... After all, the vehicles are now 23 years old and all that could possibly be discussed must have been, right? And everybody knows a much as you and Beno, right? And everyone uses the same search terms, which are standardized, Right?

Cut the guy some friggin slack, He has been on Mud for a year and is learning. If you're annoyed that he has the audacity to ask a redundant question, you might consider exercising the right to remain silent. This arrogant "you should know this" BS is why people hated Pirate when I first got on Mud.

1993 FZJ80 WITH ABS new 2.5" dobinsons lift : I know this topic has a thread a mile long and I tried sifting thru countless post. Just hoping someone can give me the short version. I have all the oem stock lines from the axle to caliper and of course they fit perfect. The ones that I need help with are the frame to axle lines. I purchaced the trail gear kit and none of these lines will fit in the stock brackets correctly. The factory hard lines are not long enough to meet up with the trail gear lines using the stock brackets with clips. The female end on the trail gear lines is much shorter then the stock brake lines. I would love to see some pictures of how others are making these trail gear lines work in the stock brackets without moving or bending the stock hard lines or mounting brakets? Hoping its just me and the trail gear lines I already have in hand will work!!

I am a huge fan of the toyota engineers for the most part so my preference would be to use anything that is OEM for the brake lines. From reading the post it looks like there are factory brake lines that might not be FZJ80 parts but rather from other toyotas that will work. My goal is to use the factory mounting brakets on the frame and axle if posible. I saw one post that said the 93-94 braket needs to be changed but again I dont see any pictures posted on how guys have made this work. I am looking for the 3 part numbers for OEM extended frame to axle brake lines front and rear, and the bracket number if its needed as well. any pictures of solutions for the brake lines would be great.. honestly I dont have a problem with rubber factory brake lines the ones on my 80 are original, have 235,000 miles and are 28yrs old so hard to argue toyota quality. If someone has a stainless kits that uses the factory mounting brakets that would be good as well. I just want as close to a factory install as posible. proper mounting and strain relief are my main concerns.
Thanks for any help on this.
I used this chart from member DARKNESS when looking. be sure to verify lengths and double check connection compatibility with a 1993 because these may only be for later 80’s.
Post 4.

204C0126-8312-47B2-991A-AC1C4B478491.jpeg

It's been mentioned before: go to Wit's End and get the alternative part nunbers and then look for them by number elsewhere (assuming Joey doesn't have them, if he does, just order them). Nothing wrong with asking questions. Nothing wrong with continuing to dig either.

I bought aftermarket lines from @Delta VS and they seem to be quality. I think they are icon brand. Is someone having issues with aftermarket or are you just interested in OEM?
Yes, the ones you got are Icon, was having supply issues with them so had a local shop make custom us a batch of custom long lines. Have a bunch of them on the shelf now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom