extended brake lines fzj80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1993 FZJ80 WITH ABS new 2.5" dobinsons lift : I know this topic has a thread a mile long and I tried sifting thru countless post. Just hoping someone can give me the short version. I have all the oem stock lines from the axle to caliper and of course they fit perfect. The ones that I need help with are the frame to axle lines. I purchaced the trail gear kit and none of these lines will fit in the stock brackets correctly. The factory hard lines are not long enough to meet up with the trail gear lines using the stock brackets with clips. The female end on the trail gear lines is much shorter then the stock brake lines. I would love to see some pictures of how others are making these trail gear lines work in the stock brackets without moving or bending the stock hard lines or mounting brakets? Hoping its just me and the trail gear lines I already have in hand will work!!

I am a huge fan of the toyota engineers for the most part so my preference would be to use anything that is OEM for the brake lines. From reading the post it looks like there are factory brake lines that might not be FZJ80 parts but rather from other toyotas that will work. My goal is to use the factory mounting brakets on the frame and axle if posible. I saw one post that said the 93-94 braket needs to be changed but again I dont see any pictures posted on how guys have made this work. I am looking for the 3 part numbers for OEM extended frame to axle brake lines front and rear, and the bracket number if its needed as well. any pictures of solutions for the brake lines would be great.. honestly I dont have a problem with rubber factory brake lines the ones on my 80 are original, have 235,000 miles and are 28yrs old so hard to argue toyota quality. If someone has a stainless kits that uses the factory mounting brakets that would be good as well. I just want as close to a factory install as posible. proper mounting and strain relief are my main concerns.
Thanks for any help on this.

Slee OffRoad sells a steel braided set that works well on my 93.

I’m not a fan of trail gear stuff. It’s cheap for a reason.

slee is not in stock, looking at the pictures of their lines i see the same problem with the female ends not being as long as the factory so when you try to install them in the factory mounts the hard line does not reach.. how did you get your hard lines to extend to mkeet up with the slee lines? its about 3/4" to short on mine.

here is the ends I am refering too. notice the OEM and WITTS END how longs the ends are where they mount in factory locations the distance from the clip grove to the female threaded end. now look at the difference on the slee which is the same as the trail gear. Now I am not knockiong slee I like all the stuff he has and i get everything i can when its in stock.. I am hoping there is something i am missing here but without streching the factory hard lines I cant make the shorter end break lines connect to the factory hard lines on either the axel end or the frame side. hoping th epictures are equal to a 1000 words as I might not be discribing my problem correctly.

oem.png

witts.png

slee.png

had this copied from a post a LONG time ago in my computer cruiser tech archive... Not my input, just my reference.

"I called up CDan last month and had him send me his "kit" to extend the brake lines. These lines are OEM for other Toyota models. Here is what you need:

Part 90947-A2016 for the Right (Passenger) Front
- I gained 2 1/8'' from stock.

Part 96940-34605 for the Left (Driver) Front
- I gained 4 3/8" from stock

Part 96940-34705 for the rear
- I gained 5" from stockI just wanted to document an OEM option for anyone that wants to extend the brake lines.

Please don't turn this into a debate of OEM vs. stainless steel. The cost of these from CDan and the cost of the SS from Slee are actually with a couple of dollars of one another.

I will say that my 12 year old stock lines were in great shape and I didn't need to change them. I just wanted the extra length . I now have 3 very good trail spares in my cargo drawer.

Some of the higher lifts may benefit from the 5" extension in the rear over the 4" availible elsewhere."

had this copied from a post a LONG time ago in my computer cruiser tech archive... Not my input, just my reference.

"I called up CDan last month and had him send me his "kit" to extend the brake lines. These lines are OEM for other Toyota models. Here is what you need:

Part 90947-A2016 for the Right (Passenger) Front
- I gained 2 1/8'' from stock.

Part 96940-34605 for the Left (Driver) Front
- I gained 4 3/8" from stock

Part 96940-34705 for the rear
- I gained 5" from stockI just wanted to document an OEM option for anyone that wants to extend the brake lines.

Please don't turn this into a debate of OEM vs. stainless steel. The cost of these from CDan and the cost of the SS from Slee are actually with a couple of dollars of one another.

I will say that my 12 year old stock lines were in great shape and I didn't need to change them. I just wanted the extra length . I now have 3 very good trail spares in my cargo drawer.

Some of the higher lifts may benefit from the 5" extension in the rear over the 4" availible elsewhere."
Thanks
I read that also then further into the thread they talk about a bracket that is needed for the 1993. hoping the 2 1/8" is going to be long enough the lift I installed. hoping for some one to pipe in with photos. again thanks for providing the parts numbers.

for $125 total for Oem - worth the gamble

here is the ends I am refering too. notice the OEM and WITTS END how longs the ends are where they mount in factory locations the distance from the clip grove to the female threaded end. now look at the difference on the slee which is the same as the trail gear. Now I am not knockiong slee I like all the stuff he has and i get everything i can when its in stock.. I am hoping there is something i am missing here but without streching the factory hard lines I cant make the shorter end break lines connect to the factory hard lines on either the axel end or the frame side. hoping th epictures are equal to a 1000 words as I might not be discribing my problem correctly.

View attachment 2839247

View attachment 2839248

View attachment 2839249
Got mine from slee several years ago and they fit perfectly.

Last edited:
Got mine from slee several years ago and the fit perfectly.
Same. About 8mos ago.

Will say tho that OEM extended lines was my preference but couldn't work out how to source them.
If those p/ns work...:cool:

Last edited:
Got mine from slee several years ago and the fit perfectly.
Why is this still a topic at the end of 2021?

There are three options:

1. Make your own/have them made
2. OEM iterations
3. Aftermarket (plug your favorite company).

That’s it. End of story.
OGBeno the Moderator way to pipe in with nothing usefull. your right all of those are obvious options. You must have solved this long ago congrats but I don't see any pictures for reference or part nubers that you have used. Not sure how long its been since you have tried to order parts, kings, fox 10-12 months out waited 6 months for a Slee short bus I can go on and on with stuff you just cant get, none of my favorite companys as you put it have these brake lines in stock and have not for some time. Sure I can have a set built and its looking like thats what I need to do. What I was hoping for on a sunday night was someone else that might have run into the same problem and had already solved it with pictures and part numbers.. So I dont have to go to the hydralic shop and have something custom built. min 2 hrs out of my day. then I will have to go back and pick them up another 2 hrs. I have always looked to Mud for mebers ideas and their willingness to help and until you thats what I have got. everyone else was trying to help, you on the other hand asking why is this still a topic then giving three options my kids would have suggested end of story, just rubbed me the wrong way.
I took the time to read the mile long thread dating back to the dinosors and did not find and pictures of the extended brake lines installed in the factory mounts.
sorry to the rest of you for my rant this guy just pushed my button hopfully it was at least entertaining for the rest of you. END OF STORY BENO. if you want to have a discusion with me you know where to find me..

Why don't you just order the Wits' End kit shown in the picture you posted?

Edit: Don't want to recommend purchasing from Wits' End.

Last edited:
I have been trying to find someone that has them but everyone is saying not in stock and cant get things made because of supply chain and covid crap. same thing everyone is saying.,

The threads with the part numbers are easy to miss but there’s a BUNCH of them, you can also go on wits ends website to find the part numbers. I just ordered non oem ones from rock auto. All said and done it was like $40 or something. My girlfiend just got the slee kit. They all work, pick whichever one tickles your fancy.

The threads with the part numbers are easy to miss but there’s a BUNCH of them, you can also go on wits ends website to find the part numbers. I just ordered non oem ones from rock auto. All said and done it was like $40 or something. My girlfiend just got the slee kit. They all work, pick whichever one tickles your fancy.
ya I got the oem part numbers from all the old threads and the guy who gave them earlier thanks.. Slee's web site says not in stock so unfortunatly not an option until he gets them back in stock. same goes for witts end not in stock. my only concern with the oem was if the right side front only being 2 1/8" longer then stock will work with my spring shock combo. lots of droop don't want the brake line to end up being my limit strap. would like to see a picture of your girlfrends slee lines on the right side frame to axle mounts.. maybe the picture on the web site is different then the lines he is building. I am going to call slee tomorrow and ask about the mounting. thanks for your input.

I personally prefer the OEM longer lines and if you decide to go that route you will need to change out the front right axle bracket as the longer line will not fit the hole and clip in. You need one from a 95 or newer truck.

Another Slee set here. No issues other than getting the old original stuff unstuck.

I personally prefer the OEM longer lines and if you decide to go that route you will need to change out the front right axle bracket as the longer line will not fit the hole and clip in. You need one from a 95 or newer truck.
Thanks Landtank thats the kind of help I was looking for , I read that in your 2020 post and saw this bracket listed by another member. I dont think this is the correct bracket for the axle side, you dont by chance know the correct P# ? hoping to avoid a trip to the junk yard.. I will put it out there on the parts forum.

bracket.png

Another Slee set here. No issues other than getting the old original stuff unstuck.
Ya 28yrs of being on there will do that. I hit all my stuff with pb blaster and made sure to buy a new set of flare wrenches got lucky everything came loose.. glad the slee worked for you. slee web site site says not avalible going to call today hoping he just has not updated the sites inventory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom