Cleaning/removing debris from the inside of an 80 Series frame (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings

I've got a 91 FJ-80 that has spent the better part of the last few years sitting in the woods resting after being 'totaled' in a collision. I bought it back from insurance for next to nothing, so I had written it off as a parts truck.

After spending a large amount of time working on the 94 FZJ that replaced it, I finally have the confidence required to attempt to resurrect the 91. In the time it spent outside, mice completely took over and I have spent a large amount of time removing the biohazard from the vehicle (hood liner, engine bay, cowl, interior completely gutted, headliner removed, etc, etc). The final area in need of cleaning is the frame. I have managed to remove a several pounds of debris, nuts and god knows what by elevating one end of the truck and blasting water down the frame. However, there is a large amount of gunk trapped in the middle section since the water doesn't quite pass over the axle humps and out the other end.

My next approach is going to be picking up a chimney sweep or something similar.

Anyone had to deal with this? All ideas are welcome.

Group shot below. I've got a handful of other questions about small issues I am running into with the restore, but I'll save those for another day.

20210926_123011.jpg

I've only ever just used a long flat blade screwdriver to break up the crud and then shop-vac it out of there. Access is tricky, but if you keep at it, eventually you'll get it all out.

You could jack the front end up to make the water flow faster through the frame and not pool

You could jack the front end up to make the water flow faster through the frame and not pool
This is what did, but i don't think I got the front end high enough. Considering calling in someone with a skid loader for a more extreme angle.

This is what did, but i don't think I got the front end high enough. Considering calling in someone with a skid loader for a more extreme angle.
I did this on my 62. I got the front about 2 feet off the ground. Seemed to do the trick. Also aired down rear tires.

Aaaaand I just realized that your problem is probably floating the crud out rather than getting the water in. Oh well, I just woke up.
That product still seems like a good recommendation. There are several spots I would benefit from a different spray angle.

I did this on my 62. I got the front about 2 feet off the ground. Seemed to do the trick. Also aired down rear tires.
Airing down may be the ticket. The truck has 35s on it & I am embarrassed to say I didn't even consider that.

or even take the wheels off and put it on jack stands and jack it down so the brake disks are just off the ground?
this could get a bit sketchy but with some attention to detail should work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom