Question for ppl that have done an LS3/Similar swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am sitting here chuckling. The argument over the intake manifold truck/car motor is laughable at best. Either form has enough power to light the rear tires up and yank our 5K lb trucks from a dead stop with enough torque to put you back in the seat. Let me know an LS3 "car" motor does not have enough torque after you drive one and experience torque steer that will have you changing lanes if you are not paying attention. Point is, the marginal differences in torque and HP curves between same size truck and car motors is mute when considering the difference between the OEM 6 cylinder and any form of an LS swap.

Granted, I'd not bother with a stock 4.8L, only because there are enough 5.3L,6.0L and 6.2L to go around. The bottom line on all of this is simple, an LS based swap into a 60 or 80 series is a game changer. It changes the way you view the vehicle in general. Sure, there are many that use their 60 as a DD in OEM form, but we all know this is not any where near what we'd call "practical". With a swap the vehicle behaves move like a modern SUV. Upgrading brakes should be considered as part of the swap. Making sure your steering and suspension components are in good shape is a good idea as well.

I am sitting here chuckling. The argument over the intake manifold truck/car motor is laughable at best. Either form has enough power to light the rear tires up and yank our 5K lb trucks from a dead stop with enough torque to put you back in the seat. Let me know an LS3 "car" motor does not have enough torque after you drive one and experience torque steer that will have you changing lanes if you are not paying attention. Point is, the marginal differences in torque and HP curves between same size truck and car motors is mute when considering the difference between the OEM 6 cylinder and any form of an LS swap.

Granted, I'd not bother with a stock 4.8L, only because there are enough 5.3L,6.0L and 6.2L to go around. The bottom line on all of this is simple, an LS based swap into a 60 or 80 series is a game changer. It changes the way you view the vehicle in general. Sure, there are many that use their 60 as a DD in OEM form, but we all know this is not any where near what we'd call "practical". With a swap the vehicle behaves move like a modern SUV. Upgrading brakes should be considered as part of the swap. Making sure your steering and suspension components are in good shape is a good idea as well.
That's a good point to remember, these were not built to go 80mph all day when they were new, so steering, suspension, and brake upgrades are very important when you add so much power! With a BONE stock 5.3 and 285/75/16's in my 62 the power was amazing, throw and LS3 in and its double.....

With a swap the vehicle behaves move like a modern SUV. Upgrading brakes should be considered as part of the swap. Making sure your steering and suspension components are in good shape is a good idea as well.

@NCFJ , can you expand on the brake upgrade suggestion? Hopefully something that will not break the bank completely ;)

thanks a whole lot.... i was really starting to have doubts on my upcoming conversion. lololol... Im so Mechanically UNinclined that I make decisions based on the incredible info i find here on MUD...both good/bad info really warps my brain as 99% skies over my head.... lol. This eases my mind!!! Im only left to wonder if my decision to use my New H55 and T-Case is the correct decision.....

Last edited:
@NCFJ , can you expand on the brake upgrade suggestion? Hopefully something that will not break the bank completely ;)
@TRAIL TAILOR is doin my LS3 swap...hes also doin an axel/coil swap that comes with a brake upgrade to disk i believe. He may have answers too!

@TRAIL TAILOR is doin my LS3 swap...hes also doin an axel/coil swap that comes with a brake upgrade to disk i believe. He may have answers too!

@meatloaf @NCFJ @WSOPgold2012

If a customer wants upgraded front brakes with the 80 axles swap... I run 105 calipers. But have to run 17" wheels (1.25" spacers) or larger to clear modified steering and caliper size.

J

IMG_20200725_105049990.jpg

@meatloaf @NCFJ @WSOPgold2012

If a customer wants upgraded front brakes with the 80 axles swap... I run 105 calipers. But have to run 17" wheels (1.25" spacers) or larger to clear modified steering and caliper size.

J

View attachment 2831855
Is there a bolt on option for the 60s axle? I’ve seen threads about people putting 4Runner brakes on the rear but sounds like there’s some modification involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom