New To ME 1975 FJ40 - Hardtop Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all. I am glad to finally be the proud owner of a 1 of 1975 FJ40 Landcruiser! This is a vehicle I've wanted all my life and after years of looking at them, the search if finally over.

I've had it for a couple months now and have a better feeling for what I want to do with it. I've gone through the vehicle and have already fixed most of the things I would like to that were broken or simply missing. Now it's time to make it the way I want.

The 40 is a factory '75 soft top. It has all the signs that it came from the factory as a soft top and still has the original tail gate. It came with an early model hardtop that just didn't fit right and some fabric soft doors that can be converted to half doors. I took the top off and got a bikini top. This is a great setup for the summer with the bikini top and half soft doors. Now I'd like to get hard doors and a period correct hardtop (with ambulance doors) for the winter. It would be great to just swap the bikini top for the hardtop, swap the half soft doors for hard doors, and take the tailgate off to accommodate the ambulance doors during the winter and then do the reverse for the summer.

My question is, will this top, front hard doors, and ambulance doors work on this '75 factory soft top?

Thank you in advance to anyone for sharing your knowledge about this setup and how to make it happen.

Need pictures. What side is your spare tire on. What the hard door striker look like on the tub for the side doors. The ambulance doors will not just bolt on. Picture of opening in the tub where tailgate rest against will show if it has the notch for the ambulance to fit flush. A 66-74 hard would be easier to use. Should also be able to find side doors to work. Just depends on what of striker how to go about it. 75 was the last of the FST in the US. Only a few made it here. Most were hard tops with ambulance doors.

Congrats on the new cruiser!

I’ve had 3 Fst models. Retrofitting ambulance doors is not fun, you would need to find a top that was set up for ambulance doors so that the mounts for the upper hinges are there, so you’re looking for a 75+ hard top. The lower ambulance door hinges will need to mount to the FST body. Ambulance doors can be $$$ too.
For similar money and heartburn, Maybe do do hard doors and a nice soft top and get your front and rear heaters working?
If you switch the tailgate to lower barn doors you might be able to find a hard top (74 and earlier) with a hatch. Switching from the tailgate to the barn doors is tough because you’re missing the center mounting holes (bottom center of the tub)for the doors, as mentioned above.
If you Google Fj40 ambulance doors and FJ40 barn doors you can see all of the images and see how everything fits together. Best of luck!

Need pictures. What side is your spare tire on. What the hard door striker look like on the tub for the side doors. The ambulance doors will not just bolt on. Picture of opening in the tub where tailgate rest against will show if it has the notch for the ambulance to fit flush. A 66-74 hard would be easier to use. Should also be able to find side doors to work. Just depends on what of striker how to go about it. 75 was the last of the FST in the US. Only a few made it here. Most were hard tops with ambulance doors.

Pics to come! I am aware the ambulance doors aren't just going to bolt in. I am gathering the details of what I need to make it work. I have the 66-74 hardtop it came with and it just doesn't fit right. I'm going to put it up for sale most likely.

There is also the option of a full soft top.

Check - Dirt Road Tops (Land Cruiser Soft-Tops) - https://www.dirtroadtops.com/

You would just need the bows and full side doors.

I ride with my dog. She is currently destroying the soft top camper shell I have on my 09 Tacoma. I bought this specifically for her and while I am sure she appreciates being out of the sun, rain, and snow, she is determined to turn it to trash. I don't see this as an option. I also really like the hardtop.

Congrats on the new cruiser!

I’ve had 3 Fst models. Retrofitting ambulance doors is not fun, you would need to find a top that was set up for ambulance doors so that the mounts for the upper hinges are there, so you’re looking for a 75+ hard top. The lower ambulance door hinges will need to mount to the FST body. Ambulance doors can be $$$ too.
For similar money and heartburn, Maybe do do hard doors and a nice soft top and get your front and rear heaters working?
If you switch the tailgate to lower barn doors you might be able to find a hard top (74 and earlier) with a hatch. Switching from the tailgate to the barn doors is tough because you’re missing the center mounting holes (bottom center of the tub)for the doors, as mentioned above.
If you Google Fj40 ambulance doors and FJ40 barn doors you can see all of the images and see how everything fits together. Best of luck!

Thanks! It's been a dream in the making for many years. I'm not apposed to some hard work and modifications to make it work. I can weld, fabricate, etc. I already have a 75+ hardtop with ambulance doors in excellent condition sourced and will gladly pay their asking price. I thought about just buying it and figuring it out from there, but would love to hear what is required before I'm dedicated. Good idea looking at images. I'm going to do that right now.

I forgot to respond to a couple of your questions. The spare tire carrier was on the right. I have completely removed it as I'm building a custom rear bumper by modifying what I got from 4x4Labs. It will include a spare tire carrier swingout. I don't think I can describe what the strikers look like, so that will probably have to wait for pics. I assume I can replace these with whatever is needed though, right?

For the front doors there is a solution for the striker. But it doesn't sound like the back opening is notched so ambulance doors would fit flush. Up thru 74 know the tailgate fit against the outside of the tub. The tailgate did not change part number 75. Also spare obviously didn't move to the left side like the hard top model with ambulance doors. Still think a 66-74 hard top with a hatch.

For the front doors there is a solution for the striker. But it doesn't sound like the back opening is notched so ambulance doors would fit flush. Up thru 74 know the tailgate fit against the outside of the tub. The tailgate did not change part number 75. Also spare obviously didn't move to the left side like the hard top model with ambulance doors. Still think a 66-74 hard top with a hatch.
Will the hard side doors from a 75 fit right with a 66-74 top?

Here original cruiser. It's 68 with a 73 top that I added vent windows from 78 top. Doors are off a 79. This was all done in the mid eighties. Vent window required adding the post the window hinges on. My have had to file the opening for door limiter. Later doors are thicker. Then some custom work for the striker.
IMG_20190822_190135850.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom