Concerning Engine accelerating sound (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
FJ60 1984. Recently changed transmission oil, gear box oil and engine oil and the sound existed prior as well. While accelerating at a high speed or on even small hills there is a high grinding / screech like sound - that is heard only when I accelerate. Often the car also slows down when I’m going up a hill. Very confused as to what it could be. Any ideas or similar experiences out there? Would appreciate any help!

could be motor mounts, loose belts, loose driveshaft. im sure others will come up with more possible causes

Screech at high revs maybe could be the smog pump bearings going out.

While accelerating at a high speed or on even small hills there is a high grinding / screech like sound - that is heard only when I accelerate. Often the car also slows down when I’m going up a hill.

Does the tach jump up when the truck speed slows down at all? When was the last time the clutch was replaced? Is the clutch just slipping?

Suggest you determine if the noise is load or rpm dependent.

- Does the noise happen in the driveway with in neutral when you rev the engine slowly to 3500 say...and then try again rapidly accelerating to 3500. If you do hear it after either one of these tests then do this:

- loosen one of your belts at a time and see if the noise goes away. If it does go away look at what devices are driven by that belt and work from there. If the noise is still there then try loosening all of your belts at the same time and do the test again. If the noise is gone you might have a harmonic balancer problem.

-if there is no noise from the above and it only happens when driving under load then it its likely in the driveline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom