Convince me not to pick up the trail gear sliders.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
They're readily available, they're cheap, I finally found a welder willing to do the work and they are mainly for looks/step, I'm not climbing any rocks.....

Any reason why I shouldn't pull the trigger or consider any other sliders? I want to finish this build sooner rather than later before the lease on my GX is up, it's like the wild west right now trying to determine what is actually available and what isn't......not to mention pricing. Honestly I don't even think they look very good they're just basic but beggars can't be choosers I suppose.....

Last edited:
They're readily available, they're cheap, I finally found a welder willing to do the work and they are mainly for looks/step, I'm not climbing any rocks.....

Any reason why I shouldn't pull the trigger or consider any other sliders? I want to finish this build sooner rather than later before the lease on my GX is up, it's like the wild west right now trying to determine what is actually available and what isn't......not to mention pricing. Honestly I don't even think they look very good they're just basic but beggars can't be choosers I suppose.....
There are weld together slider kits from other companies.

I've got a set of TG weld-together sliders. They're fine. Survived a rollover in my 4runner where they took the weight of the entire vehicle and then some (came down from an areal flip straight onto the DS slider), so I chopped them off and kept them. I know there are stronger options out there, but why would you need stronger than strong enough? Honestly when I moved to the 80 from 60s, mini trucks and 4runners, I was a little weirded out by the use of 2x4 or 2x3 box tube in many 80 sliders. Just seems like excessive and unnecessary weight unless you're the guy with 2000+ pounds of extra gear on your truck.

Just bear in mind the arms they come with may not be long enough for the front-most mount and you'll need to put a bend in one arm or come up with some other solution to work around the cats. So your welder will have to be comfortable with a little fabrication as well.

In this environment, I think readily available speaks volumes as far as demand for the item.

I will only buy white knuckle sliders for my 80s. In my opinion the wait is worth it.

Normally I would agree but I think a lot of the availability issues is simply due to a lot of companies who make products for our trucks are small productions and don’t have as readily available access to materials, or at the least don’t have the buying power or demand to feasibly purchase materials and labor in this market.

Believe me I’m not saying the trail gear sliders are better than anyone else’s but I don’t think the issue with availability right now is because the product is in such high demand that it sold out. It’s just not worth producing right now, otherwise it would be being produced.

Last edited:

Here’s another option. I believe they’re out of Washington. My girlfriend and another friend have a set from and neither really have any complaints

Hmm thank you! Any reason I would choose these over trail gear?

Normally I would agree but I think a lot of the available is simply due to a lot of companies who make products for our trucks are small productions and don’t have as readily available access to materials, or at the least don’t have the buying power or demand to feasibly purchase materials and labor in this market.

Believe me I’m not saying the trail gear sliders are better than anyone else’s but I don’t think the issue with availability right now is because the product is in such high demand that it sold out. It’s just not worth producing right now, otherwise it would be being produced.
The flip side is that you have a small outfit acutely focused on products for a specific application or narrow application designing and manufacturing high quality products

Why do you need sliders? Why not just pick up some running boards that someone is tossing if you don't have yours and need a step?

Why do you need sliders? Why not just pick up some running boards that someone is tossing if you don't have yours and need a step?

You don’t get door-jacked as often w/ sliders - my onboard camera taught me that ;)

I didn't realize the price of the TG sliders either. Not free, but not bad.

Because I think sliders look better and have a purpose, I was never a fan of the stock running boards especially considering I have an ARB front, a soon to NWTI rear and kut snake flares…..stock runners may look out of place.

I like their kick out sliders but one search for them on the board here leads me to steer clear of them….
Their sliders are good. Customer service if you have a problem, not so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom