Gen V 5.3 L83 / 8L90e / Blackbox / 80series (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's an 8l90 transmission and the Black Box is the adapter. You order it made for the transmission and transfer case you intend to use. If you scroll up and look at the picture of the transmission it's the back tube in between the transmission and the stock Toyota transfer case.
sweeeettttt i meant to type 8l90. i was waiting patiently for marks 4wd adapter to make a 8l90 adapter as i have a 2017 lt1 with 8l90 waiting to be installed

sweeeettttt i meant to type 8l90. i was waiting patiently for marks 4wd adapter to make a 8l90 adapter as i have a 2017 lt1 with 8l90 waiting to be installed
The 8L90 and 6L80 have the same size output shaft and mounting pattern. We had to use a spacer from Advanced Adapters but otherwise they are the same. Internally they are very different but at least with the 8l90 you do not need to completely disassemble the transmission to convert to 4wd from 2wd. The 8l90 has a stub output shaft that comes off with the tail housing.

just not seeing that option

FJ80 transfer case. 32-spline transmission. Works for 6l80 and 8l90.

I've used it before, just was throwing ideas out there. The PCS module just plugs into the can signal, but doesn't give you dash lights which is cool for the DD kit. I used the black box behind my 5.3 and 8L90 also, but decided to change it up since I won't really be using the black box for the crawling aspect. We have our own adapter being made and it'll work with the 8L and 10L transmissions.
Can't wait to see your adapter! I agree the BB is overkill for a lot of V8 swaps that don't need a doubler. I'll be in the market for an adapter after I get moved across country and figure out my next project. It will be Gen V powered though and the 10L transmission is very interesting!

I've used it before, just was throwing ideas out there. The PCS module just plugs into the can signal, but doesn't give you dash lights which is cool for the DD kit. I used the black box behind my 5.3 and 8L90 also, but decided to change it up since I won't really be using the black box for the crawling aspect. We have our own adapter being made and it'll work with the 8L and 10L transmissions.
Are you guys planning on keeping this adaptor in house or offering the adaptor to the public? I finally got my GM performance catalog I think I ordered a year ago to read up on what the offer. They mention the 10L and pairing it up but don't offer part numbers or connect and cruise packages, like it was a last minute add in. Looks to have a different output that the 8L also. Not a lot of information on swappable output shafts.
IMG_1993.JPG

IMG_1992.JPG
IMG_1991.JPG

We might offer it to the public, but not until we have run it through our own process and completed a few conversions with the kit.
Curious if you have made any progress with the in-house adapter. I would be interested in one.

Excellent Project. Tackling a similar setup in my 105. My 105 started as a diesel 1HZ with stick and part time.

In Progress L83/6L80E to marks adapter.

I ended up reusing the factory engine mounts and fabricated my own block side mounts.

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-05 at 6.16.58 PM (2).jpeg

This was after messing around with placement. Overall, the rear output of T-case is moved forward about 1.5" so I'll need to shorten the front and lengthen the rear driveshaft.

I'm tackling the wiring a little different on my project. Got an extra plug for the factory body harness. I'm figuring out the pins from the plug and making my connections there, through the factory plug. I'm moving all engine sensors to the new engine to be in addition with L83 sensors. So they don't interfere.

Using the stock radiator with a custom fan shroud with SPAL brushless fans Powered with stock ECM I hope.

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-05 at 6.16.58 PM (6).jpeg

There is no space for factory truck exhaust manifold so that has to be replaced with something that hugs the block a lot better. Going with Holley manifolds.

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-05 at 6.16.58 PM (5).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-05 at 6.16.58 PM (4).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-05 at 6.16.58 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-05 at 6.16.58 PM (3).jpeg

It looks like we're on the same progress. Let me know if you have questions. I'll sure be asking :D

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-05 at 6.16.58 PM (1).jpeg

Excellent Project. Tackling a similar setup in my 105. My 105 started as a diesel 1HZ with stick and part time.

In Progress L83/6L80E to marks adapter.

I ended up reusing the factory engine mounts and fabricated my own block side mounts.

View attachment 2777941

This was after messing around with placement. Overall, the rear output of T-case is moved forward about 1.5" so I'll need to shorten the front and lengthen the rear driveshaft.

I'm tackling the wiring a little different on my project. Got an extra plug for the factory body harness. I'm figuring out the pins from the plug and making my connections there, through the factory plug. I'm moving all engine sensors to the new engine to be in addition with L83 sensors. So they don't interfere.

Using the stock radiator with a custom fan shroud with SPAL brushless fans Powered with stock ECM I hope.

View attachment 2777937

There is no space for factory truck exhaust manifold so that has to be replaced with something that hugs the block a lot better. Going with Holley manifolds.

View attachment 2777938

View attachment 2777939

View attachment 2777943

View attachment 2777940

It looks like we're on the same progress. Let me know if you have questions. I'll sure be asking :D

View attachment 2777942
Awesome project! I have a set of Holley GenV manifolds I was going to test fit but they are in Ohio with me and the truck is in California. I hope to figure out shipping the truck to Ohio and then I can continue the project. If you are using L83 sensors, what are you doing for gauges? I pretty much doubled sensors so I have Toyota sensors for the stock gauges and GM sensors for the E92 GM computer.

I'm planning to use all Toyota sensors to power the gauges.

Speed is received from T-case - no change in wiring here. May tap into it to keep the GM PCM happy. But I think it also reads speed from the trans.
Oil from factory sensor tapped somewhere on the L83
Temp same as above.
Tach will be through dakota digital.

I'm planning to use the scangauge II to read the temp of transmission, diagnostics and transmission position.

What are you planning for fuel?

I've read that the LS setup can be used with this engine. Just regulate it to 58PSI and return from regulator.

Will you be adding tap shift?

I'm planning to use all Toyota sensors to power the gauges.

Speed is received from T-case - no change in wiring here. May tap into it to keep the GM PCM happy. But I think it also reads speed from the trans.
Oil from factory sensor tapped somewhere on the L83
Temp same as above.
Tach will be through dakota digital.

I'm planning to use the scangauge II to read the temp of transmission, diagnostics and transmission position.

What are you planning for fuel?

I've read that the LS setup can be used with this engine. Just regulate it to 58PSI and return from regulator.

Will you be adding tap shift?
Yes the GM ECM will pick up speed internally from the transmission. I will try and drive the Toyota tach with the GM output and try adjusting the output with HPtuners. If that doesn't work I'll use a Dakota box.

Fuel I'm using a 240lph pump in the tank and the Corvette style regulator for 58psi. Then GenV motors run fine on 58 it's just less efficient for the pump. Maybe someday I'll convert to a fuel pressure controller and a PWM pump like factory.

I haven't wired in tap shift, I have it on my FJ45 and I never use it. I just change the shift points in the transmission program so if I put it in D5 it holds the gears longer and doesn't shift out of first too soon for driving in 4low.

Hello! Curious to see how far you’ve gotten?

I also started an lt with 8 speed swap September and tomorrow should be the first drive. I ended up making my own adapter so I didn’t have to use the black box. I’m doing mine on an fj62

Hello! Curious to see how far you’ve gotten?

I also started an lt with 8 speed swap September and tomorrow should be the first drive. I ended up making my own adapter so I didn’t have to use the black box. I’m doing mine on an fj62
Truck is still in California and I'm in Ohio, so I haven't gotten anything done. Just got 90 day orders to DC so not much is going to change.

Good luck with the maiden voyage, feel free to post some details about your adapter. Really curious to see how you made it.

I am running an L86 and 8L90 (with an Atlas) in a project truck as well, and I have not been able to find information on how to switch or tell the 8L90 the transfer case is in low range - how are you accomplishing this with your setups?

Thanks!

what's up Steven, what computer are you running? is the ecu and Tcm stock? you would need to wire up a harness that sends a signal to the computers to know its in 4wd, so you would need a 4wd operating system.

what's up Steven, what computer are you running? is the ecu and Tcm stock? you would need to wire up a harness that sends a signal to the computers to know its in 4wd, so you would need a 4wd operating system.
Correct, both stock and no BCM. I kind of figured I would need a simple switch, just not sure which pin in the harness and what that signal is (ground, positive, ??)

Thanks!

and with high hopes of leaving stock headers on and hood in place....... in she goes......sort of. *note hi lift and block of wood pushing front end down 6" from daves garage door header.*

View attachment 2277059
I think many will say a hi-lift is overkill but you can do more with them just change a spare tire rather precariously. I just straightened my cousins trailer ramp-gate when he was rear ended with one. Similar method to yours. Put down his ramp, backed my truck over and used the hi-lift to straighten the square tubing with the help of my bumper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom