Brake Drums needed 1972 FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am trying to find out where to source drums for a 1972 FJ40 without having to go OEM. Would rather save a little money on aftermarket drum to put towards other essentials. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oreilly's, AutoZone, Advanced, etc part numbers welcomed.

I have a 72 as well. Someone converted it to disk. It actually stops now!
Here’s the rockauto answer.

CENTRIC 12344019 Drum

Just to keep your priorities in perspective, I wouldn't advise skimping on brakes or steering, as a general rule. The OEM drums are incredibly stout and last a very long time. That being said, you should be able to walk into any of these FLAP shops without a part number and they will look it up for you. My local Napa had a set of rear drums, for my 79 setting on the shelf when I stopped by. It turned out that my OEM drums still had enough metal to get one more turn out of them, which they only charged about $20 for, so I didn't need to buy the aftermarket drums.

I would agree. I would find it hard to believe you actually need drums. But you may need wheel cylinders, shoes, and adjusting and also have your existing drums turned.

Just to keep your priorities in perspective, I wouldn't advise skimping on brakes or steering, as a general rule. The OEM drums are incredibly stout and last a very long time. That being said, you should be able to walk into any of these FLAP shops without a part number and they will look it up for you. My local Napa had a set of rear drums, for my 79 setting on the shelf when I stopped by. It turned out that my OEM drums still had enough metal to get one more turn out of them, which they only charged about $20 for, so I didn't need to buy the aftermarket drums.
I appreciate the info. Definitely not trying to skimp on the brakes. I have purchased all new cylinders, shoes, hardware, soft line and hard lines. The expense of OEM stuff is getting a little steep for my comfort at the current moment, so I am trying to get good working brakes that are safe and I can enjoy the cruiser driving around town/to the beach.

I would agree. I would find it hard to believe you actually need drums. But you may need wheel cylinders, shoes, and adjusting and also have your existing drums turned.
The existing drums are warped and no one will turn them, unfortunately. This is my first cruiser and sat up for a few years without being driven. Wasn't taken well care of by PO.

If it were me, I would sell all those parts and do a disk brake swap.

I have never heard of warped drums. That's a new one.

Just post on classifieds that you need a set of drums, then have them turned when you get them.

Good luck with your brake project. If you've never assembled, adjusted, and bled a set of cruiser drums before, it takes a lot of patience, a lot of bleeding, and a lot of adjusting, so don't get frustrated. But...once they're bled and adjusted correctly they are incredibly strong. Several good resources are out there but Coolerman's writeup on his own website is among the best.

Good luck with your brake project. If you've never assembled, adjusted, and bled a set of cruiser drums before, it takes a lot of patience, a lot of bleeding, and a lot of adjusting, so don't get frustrated. But...once they're bled and adjusted correctly they are incredibly strong. Several good resources are out there but Coolerman's writeup on his own website is among the best.
Brake Bleeding 101 - http://www.globalsoftware-inc.com/coolerman/fj40/15E.htm

Lots of good info for your 72 here, lots of similarities to the 71 he works on.

I have used the Rockauto drums before. Problem is the mounting flange is thicker than normal making your wheel studs on the short side. Plus they were out of stock last I checked.
So, I bought some oem ones and was very impressed by their quality (oem is always good for Toyotas). Brakes are now working great.

Hard to find people to turns drums or rotors around here, sucks. Many years ago I brought a set of drums in to be turned... guy said they were "eggs", seriously warped but they were still able to turn them and they were still in spec.

Drums can work well but disc is just better if you can do it.

I have some used front drums I just removed from my 71 fj40 cruiser that I just converted to disc.

I have set of almost new brake cylinders for the front of a 1972, if you are looking. I converted to a disc axle like a year after I rebuilt the front brakes. Found a deal I couldn't pass up! I also have a set of factory warn hubs off the same 1972 rig.

I have set of almost new brake cylinders for the front of a 1972, if you are looking. I converted to a disc axle like a year after I rebuilt the front brakes. Found a deal I couldn't pass up! I also have a set of factory warn hubs off the same 1972 rig.
Still have those cylinders??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom