Sell or Commit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lyle Kilson

Go fast, don’t die.
Threads
I'll get right to the point. I have a 1994 TLC. It's got 300k miles and burns ALOT of oil. The plan is to completely rebuild the motor over the winter season. There is multiple reasons I want to do a complete rebuild other than just the oil burning. A big reason for the rebuild is so I can gain some Toyota mechanical knowledge and acquire some peace of mind that everything under the hood is fresh and new. I've been getting quotes from a few shops for kits and I want to get started ASAP. I've always loved the 1FZ-FE and DON'T want to swap it. The only complaint I have is my 1994 is OBD1. For me thats a problem because in the next 1-2 years I also want a Wits-End Turbo form @NLXTACY. Should I take a leap and sell my 1994 and search out a OBD2 (1995-1997)? Or is the market so crazy for these rigs right now that I should be happy with what I have?

I'd love to hear some outside perspectives.

C57D4128-0D5E-4905-8E57-A31513DA418F.jpeg

C3632C88-7F37-40DA-B04C-C02F98AE5756.jpeg

Last edited:
Are you sure your oil burning isn't just valve seals leaking? Miles are kinda low for a rebuild and valve seals can leak a lot

Are you sure your oil burning isn't just valve seals leaking? Miles are kinda low for a rebuild and valve seals can leak a lot
Yes the rings and valve seals need work. I burned a quart over the weekend pulling this thing.

17E3A3AA-990F-46C7-9187-69A9DE3F04D9.jpeg

I'm set on a rebuild. I really just want to know what everyone's perspective is on selling OBD1 and buying OBD2 so I can turbo a 1FZ-FE.

I'd be hesitant to even bank on getting a turbo kit. Will he even be doing them by then?
Can't even get one right now
I had the same thought. That's why I tagged @NLXTACY. Hopefully he can chime in:grinpimp:

I sold my taco and it took me nearly 9 months to replace it with a tundra. I had a lot more availability too. Maybe you could go ahead and get an obdii rig and start building it out, moving your parts, mods over then selling if you go that path.

I sold my taco and it took me nearly 9 months to replace it with a tundra. I had a lot more availability too. Maybe you could go ahead and get an obdii rig and start building it out, moving your parts, mods over then selling if you go that path.
This is absolutely a great solution. Unfortunately it's not a wife friendly option:meh: I have this rig and a parts truck for it already. This is really a great option though that I might be able to pull off.

It’s very hard to discuss something I’m not ready to discuss yet.
Fair. You don't have to discuss the production of more Turbo Kits. But like...should I acquire a OBD2 LC so I could "Potentially" put a Wits-End turbo in it?;)

Last edited:
V8 or diesel swap. The 1FZ-FE is wonderfully engineered, but it was engineered last century and is underpowered and extremely inefficient by modern standards.

Incidentally, Mobil 1 10W-40 High Mileage greatly reduced my oil consumption. I really should do my valve seals.

V8 or diesel swap. The 1FZ-FE is wonderfully engineered, but it was engineered last century and is underpowered and extremely inefficient by modern standards.

Incidentally, Mobil 1 10W-40 High Mileage greatly reduced my oil consumption. I really should do my valve seals.

If I could afford a R2.8 and do the work myself I would go that route 100%. I've done my research on this though and while those are great options for more modern power and performance, I'm a snob. I personally feel like if I rip out the 1FZ it wouldn't be a Toyota anymore. I know this is a touchy subject but it's just my subjective opinion.

My thought was a rebuilt 1fz-fe with a wits-end turbo is the best of both worlds. More power, still Toyota.

Last edited:
If I could afford a R2.8 and do the work myself I would go that route 100%. I've done my research on this though and while those are great options for more modern power and performance, I'm a snob. I personally feel like if I rip out the 1FZ it wouldn't be a Toyota anymore. I know this is a touchy subject but it's just my subjective opinion.
Put a 2uz in it.

I've got a '93 and have been looking at all my options as well regarding more power. I came across the 7th injector setup while searching and while it works for a supercharger, I'm not sure how well it'd work for a turbo. But I'm still doing research and this seems to be the most cost effective route (if it would work). My only concern is it doesn't have a map sensor, but I'm still poking around for info. I would assume it'd work fine as long as long as I run low boost (which I was planning for anyway). I wanted to go standalone (and still might), but this option seems to be the easiest and most cost-effective.

Forced induction on the OBD1 rigs can be done, it's just a matter of how much you want to spend and how easy or complicated you want it to be. It also depends on how much of it you're going to do yourself. At this point I'm weighing my options from anything like the 7th injector setup to a 6BT swap.

I personally wouldn't look for an OBD2 rig, especially with the way prices are right now. You have a nice rig and I'd just work with what you have.

Just putting it out there if you're that determined to have boost in the future you could go with an aftermarket ECU and/or put together your own turbo kit. The Wit's End one is absolutely a great option, but with the future of it up in the air (and who can blame Joey he has had a bear of a time getting the parts together apparently) and the potential to have more control and MO POWA the cost is definitely worth considering.

Quite a few Aussies (and a few Mudder's in the states) have put together their own turbo kits and are running aftermarket ECUs. Not everything has to be a kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom