93FZJ80- Fusible Link Blows on Accessory (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am revising my post after some addition research in to the issue and to make my question(s) more clear.

Problem:
If I leave my LC just on accessory (not running) for longer than five minutes, a couple of 25A fuses that the PO placed before (on the battery side) of the fusible link (labeled "AM1 MAIN 1.25B 2.0 L) (see pic), will blow rendering the car unable to start. It will turn over but not start. The dash will have all sorts of lights on: AT/Oil/Alternator.

The headlights won't turn on either. I guess the PO put the fuses there to protect the fusible link (FL) bc he got tired of replacing it after it blew.

After replacing both the 25A fuses, the car will start right up. It will idle very roughly for 1/2 hour, sometimes it will die, but after a few restarts, the engine idles well again. There isn't any aftermarket electrical gear on the LC- just some fogs up front, and a crappy alpine stereo.

What do you think cause the FL to blow when the LC is just on accessory? Is something drawing too much power?

Thank you in advance for any ideas.

--disregard that last pic. cant delete it.

short 4.jpeg

short2.jpeg

short 3.jpeg

Short.jpeg

Last edited:
Those two fuses in the first pic aren't ahead of the Main fusible link, they're IN PLACE of it.

Disconnecting the fog lamps and the crappy Alpine stereo would be a good place to start. If there's a separate stereo amplifier, disconnect that too. Then get yourself a decent ammeter and take some measurements.

FYI, the Main fusible link is rated for 100 Amps.

Those two fuses in the first pic aren't ahead of the Main fusible link, they're IN PLACE of it.

Disconnecting the fog lamps and the crappy Alpine stereo would be a good place to start. If there's a separate stereo amplifier, disconnect that too. Then get yourself a decent ammeter and take some measurements.

FYI, the Main fusible link is rated for 100 Amps.
OK. I will disconnect the fogs and the stereo and see if it still blows on accessory. I'll measure the measure the amps to the "fusible link" see what it reads. thanks-Dan

Get rid of that crap.
There are 3 fusible links on a US spec 80 Series:

PINK - 30 amp FL AM2 - grey connector
BLACK - 80 amp FL AM1 - small ring terminal
BLUE - 100 amp FL MAIN - large ring terminal

Get rid of that crap.
There are 3 fusible links on a US spec 80 Series:

Which crap are you referring to? The 25A fuses or the stereo and fogs?
I disconnected the stereo, fogs and amp and measured the amps, steady 25A. I did that over a period of 5 minutes and the fuses didn't blow. I'm confused to what's causing the fuses to blow. I would like to get rid of the fuses and replace it with the standard FL which I have an extra of.

Which crap are you referring to? The 25A fuses or the stereo and fogs?
I disconnected the stereo, fogs and amp and measured the amps, steady 25A. I did that over a period of 5 minutes and the fuses didn't blow. I'm confused to what's causing the fuses to blow. I would like to get rid of the fuses and replace it with the standard FL which I have an extra of.
This is pretty simple stuff here.
You have 25 amp fuses in place of 2 of the 3 fusible links.
The LOWEST rating of the 3 fusible links is 30 amps.
Once again, the 3 fusible links off of the positive battery terminal are:

This is pretty simple stuff here.
You have 25 amp fuses in place of 2 of the 3 fusible links.
The LOWEST rating of the 3 fusible links is 30 amps.
Once again, the 3 fusible links off of the positive battery terminal are:

OK. I got it. 25A is too low. Let me put the higher rated fuses in. I think that should take care of it.
Thank you.

This is the part where you buy a fusible link,
They are cheap

OK. I got it. 25A is too low. Let me put the higher rated fuses in. I think that should take care of it.
Thank you.
No No No.
You're missing the point of this.
Get rid of the fuses. They don't belong there. They look like they were installed by a preschooler. If the wiring they used is not correct, putting in a larger fuse can melt wires and cause a fire. Fire in a vehicle is something to be avoided. Try to keep that in mind.

Return this section back to stock configuration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom