Another 80 Series No start just click (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1992 FJ that I had converted to 1hdt. Great job done and it is all clean. I had the job done in Colorado and we had moved back to Nc. After getting back to Nc a problem had developed. When the rig heats up on days that it is hot out it will not start after I turn it off. After it sits for a period of time it fires right up. Starts every morning and when it is cooler. I have replaced the starter with a brand new one and the fusible link. Battery is brand new and holds 12.75 volts. I am not sure what I am missing or what I should look at next. No fues have blown and it looks like all the connections are good. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You need to measure the current at the starter when its cranking. Heat tends to cause resistance (that's your big clue). Batteries can only be certified good by load testing. Even an old battery can give 12 volts when doing nothing.
The battery lead needs to be checked at the block for cleanliness.
Is it one that starts on 24v, or is it 12v all the way.?

Jump starting it when it wont start will tell you if its a lack of current.

I am going to pull the battery to get it load tested. The terminals are spotless as the battery was purchased in July.
It is 12v all the way.
I will double check the current at the starter. I think it was good but I will double check.

Another way of checking things would be to remove the glow plugs. This would remove all compression and even a weak battery or starter should be able to spin the engine.

The terminals are spotless as the battery was purchased in July.
I mean at the engine block end, not the battery end, they are often forgotten. My leads were green from corrosion.

I tested the battery and it is fine.

I am going to try and jump start the starter next time it won’t start.

I have tried the tap before and it had done nothing to get it going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom