Rear brake dust shield/Backer plate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,
First post.
I've got a 1996 FJZ80 that's got some rust. Haha.
Among many rust areas, the right side rear brake dust shield is a problem (I've also seen them called splash shields, backer plates, and more).
The section that the e-brake mounts onto is nearly disintegrated. I need to adjust my e-brake but figure I need to address the mount issue before doing an adjustment.
I've confirmed that a replacement shield is discontinued by Toyota and have reached out to a few used parts folks who either don't have it or are selling it for mucho dinero.
Seems like the official part # is 47043-60110
I've read thru what I think are all of the relevant threads on the subject here and all of them seem to end up with the conclusion that it's better to fix these before they get too bad.
Is there any alternative to the discontinued part?
Anyone have experience retrofitting a dust shield from a different year?
Any repair suggestions?
Thanks for any advice!
Josh

From afar, the rust doesn't look bad :)
Cruiser Crop.png

Close-up of rot on dust shield:
Rear backer plate.jpg

They aren’t discontinued.
Correct. I just bought one earlier this week for the drivers side front on my ‘93. Part number I ordered was 47781-60100.

@OGBeno and @Hokierig, thanks for the replies.
I'm definitely confused, but I think I'm getting less confused as I sort this out.
Looks like, at least for the '96, I had the wrong part #. Those dealer diagrams can be confusing.
The correct part # (I think) is 46503-60081 (plate sub-assembly, parking brake).
This part is discontinued and not available anywhere new, according to my dealer who did a search of the dealer network.
My online search revealed largely the same thing, although I did find one at Toyota Parts Overstock for $517 and a much, much cheaper one at Toyota Parts Direct in Canada but they won't ship to the US...
I've reached out to about a half dozen folks on here and elsewhere that might have one, but struck out so far, and have looked into some intl parts suppliers in Japan but no luck either.
Anyone want to buy it for me in Canada and then ship it to me? I'd pay a premium for it.
Other ideas?
Thanks,
Josh

Correct. I just bought one earlier this week for the drivers side front on my ‘93. Part number I ordered was 47781-60100.
This number comes up as a front

Holy schnickees!! I didn't know they were that expensive.

I'd Check the part out section of the classifieds here for a reasonable replacement.

Have you contacted slow95z he parts out 80s
I have purchased from him several times it was always a good experience my guess is he’ll have what you need. 😉

Last edited:
I searched for them and never could find them. Would love to find them if they are available but honestly thought they were discontinued.

That is an area I didn’t hose down hard with fluid film or wool wax through the years as I didn’t want to soak the brakes.

Thanks
John

I found the same thing you did: Toyota US says the rear plates are discontinued and unavailable, and so does Amayama and PartSouq, et alia, however, TOP Toyota in Canada lists both the left, 45604-60041 152.18CAD ($123.08) and the right 46530-60081 163.53CAD ($132.26), of course, that doesn't mean they have them, just that they still have a listing for them. I'd call them and see what they have to say about shipping; it's hard to believe they won't ship across the border.

Kind of glad my rear seals leaked...

nevermind thought partsouq had them listed but that was for the front not back. megazip says they are out of stock

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies, y'all.
If you are finding them, will you please link the website they are available on? I'm trying to put together a resource list for this item that will be useful for others down the line.
SOR has them used for $450 a piece: Land Cruiser Rear Disc Brakes Calipers & Rotors - 8/92-2007 70, 80 and 100 Series - https://www.sor.com/cat085.sor#085C2
Slow95z has a pair that he is parting out, but I'm 2nd in line, so they might be available or might not.
Toyota Parts Overstock has it for $517: 4650360081 - Toyota Plate sub-assy, parking brake, rh | Toyota Parts Overstock, Lakeland FL - https://parts.lakelandtoyota.com/p/__/PLATE-SUB-ASSY--PARKING-BRAKE--RH/3997283/4650360081.html
Toyota Part Direct in Canada will not ship to the US. They confirmed that to me directly. I guess if someone had a customs broker or something like that they could figure out how to get it.
I haven't had luck finding it through any Japanese sources. Are there any particular sources you all use?

Thanks again for all the input.
Josh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom