93-94 VAF/OBDI to MAF/OBDII parts list (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fogblanket

SILVER Star
Threads
93-94 VAF/OBDI to MAF/OBDII parts needed.

I have a US spec 94 fzj 80 that I eventually want to super charge but need to do it one hurdle at a time. First I need to change the VAF/OBDI to MAF/OBDII. There are threads on this subject but none of them end up with a definitive parts list.

Does anyone have a solid parts list of what this swap would take besides;
- engine harness from a 95-97fzj80 lx450 (I have)
- ECU from a 95-97fzj80 lx450 (I have)
- speedo cluster from a 95-97fzj80 lx450 (I have)
- air cleaner/MAF from from a 95-97fzj80 lx450 (I have)
- removal of Pair system (done)
- exhaust set up with bung behind cat (Single cat system?) (done)

If any of the above are not needed please let me know.
list of question parts.
- oil pan with oil level sensor from a 95-97fzj80 lx450
- sensors that only work on harness from a 95-97fzj80 lx450
- what do you do about the A442 transmission?
- any other bits and pieces that are needed. or won't work correctly with the newer engine harness?

I want to keep this as Toyota as possible and I understand that the VAF and MAF work opposite as far as voltage goes. thus the complete ecu and engine harness swap is needed. I have learned alot in my searches on the subject but just need to get the definitive on those last parts. and as someone mentioned in another thread I wish I had know about this difference in model years when I was looking for an 80 and if I can source the remaining parts it woill be far easier then starting over with a new truck.

Thanks Jason

i would just hunt for a wrecked truck and convert the whole thing over if that is your plan.

the dash wiring is all different and the 95+ speedo wont work. so many different changes that you are better off either selling yours and getting a 95+ or converting everything to 95+

i had looked into it years ago as i have 9 part trucks currently but it just wasnt worth the work when you can buy one thats already a 95+ and go from there

I don't think the OBDI engines have a crank position sensor. The computer will need to see that sensor to operate. This is just one more impediment to swapping over the OBDII electronics. Slow95z mentioned others.

Overall, the OBDI and OBDII systems are just too different.

I have a similar project on my to do list and been doing quite a bit of research. I have a Pilot Engineering VAF to MAF converter board that I am planning to use for my attempt.

Sold here:
Pilot VAF to MAF converter with bluetooth interface – Pilot Engineering Team - http://max.pilotpowersupply.com/2016/02/01/pilot_vaf_to_maf_coverter_0-5v_version/

I plan to follow in the footsteps of Jimjim:

Another option would be adding a seventh injector with a controller from split second.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks all.
Lextronix
I will look into the Pilot system. that seems like a decent enough option with out straying too far from Toyota.

Slow95z
on the swap side of things, I have parts lx450 in which the frame collapsed and is rusted out.
I can get the whole wire harness/dash I have everything but the engine/tranny. if I went this route I can see adding a latter model oil pan with the crank position sensor. but after crawling under my truck my oil pan has the holes and a plug where the crank position sensor is supposed to be so that could be just a tap and die while off the truck fix. the last hurdle would be the transmission senors in that I would be reluctant to give up my A422f with the extreme valve body installed.

as far as just buying a 95+ lc and selling mine. I have waaay too much time and money into my 94 to make this option feasible

SmokingRocks
I like juice, but if this gets too complicated I am good with what I got. the valve body helped alot but I still don't have that giddy up on hills.

what'd you do to the valve body?

Also you could always go stand-alone with a Haltec, probably easier than converting to the OBD2 and it would give you endless tunability.

The easiest way to deal with the A442f is to find an A343 and put it in its place. THen sell the bus trans. The obd1 setup has a separate transmission control module that takes care of the trans. The OBD2 system has that integrated into the ECU.

I don't think the OBDI engines have a crank position sensor. The computer will need to see that sensor to operate. This is just one more impediment to swapping over the OBDII electronics. Slow95z mentioned others.

Overall, the OBDI and OBDII systems are just too different.

I have a similar project on my to do list and been doing quite a bit of research. I have a Pilot Engineering VAF to MAF converter board that I am planning to use for my attempt.

Sold here:
Pilot VAF to MAF converter with bluetooth interface – Pilot Engineering Team - http://max.pilotpowersupply.com/2016/02/01/pilot_vaf_to_maf_coverter_0-5v_version/

I plan to follow in the footsteps of Jimjim:

Another option would be adding a seventh injector with a controller from split second.

Good luck!
This very interesting. I have a non-functioning VAF open on my bench and there's very little to it. The main failure point so far as I can tell are the PCB pads where the pins attach as they're not normal solder pads, hence the catastrophic result of messing with the two sacred screws. But with care they can be repaired by scraping away the insulation on the board to expose the metal traces and soldering the pins back directly onto there. Other than that there's a wiper and a sensor but no other discrete components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom