Wanted PTO Winch Mounting Shims (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The cast iron ones would be the best option to try and match OEM however way above my pay grade and skills. I'm making mine out of mild steel. I have a manual mill which allowed me to create the angle on them and dimension them as close to the original as possible. There are pictures below with a quarter for size reference. I still need to drill the holes and clean them up but that will have to wait until Louie is parked for the winter.

I have a lead on a CNC machinist that might be willing to make some. I have given him the dimensional information. He was going to let me know if he is interested in making them. Stay tuned.

View attachment 2793646

View attachment 2793647

View attachment 2793648
Looks pretty darn good I’d say!

Since the originals are cast I think there would be some interest in having them made that way so I’ll proceed with trying to get some pricing. They’re such simple pieces I can’t imagine it will be a lot, but I’ll post back here in a week or two when I have some numbers.

Thanks to @pardion for getting me a set of these original shims to use as a template. My casting guy usually tries to throw my stuff in with batches of other things to keep my costs down, and he said he would not be doing cast iron for probably the next month or so. So he did these ones in bronze, and I think texture-wise they came out great. They really look identical other than the color. Some de-burring will be necessary of course. This trial run at least confirmed how well they'll turn out.

A full set of 4 of these (2 large and 2 small) would run us about $50 a set. Just to reiterate I'm not making anything off of this, just passing along my cost while trying to help fellow mudders with a need. So reply with a) how many sets and b) what material. If you wanted some quickly, bronze would be the way to go otherwise I think I'd recommend waiting and getting the cast iron like the originals.

If you guys think its best I start a separate thread in the classifieds let me know. Might be a good idea...

See post below, turns out these aren't the correct OEM shims. Regardless, it does show that if we can get an OEM set that the casting process should give us a good result. Just need to find a set of OEM shims to borrow...

IMG_0383.jpeg

IMG_0385.jpeg

IMG_0386.jpeg

IMG_0384.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks to @pardion for getting me a set of these original shims to use as a template. My casting guy usually tries to throw my stuff in with batches of other things to keep my costs down, and he said he would not be doing cast iron for probably the next month or so. So he did these ones in bronze, and I think texture-wise they came out great. They really look identical other than the color. Some de-burring will be necessary of course. This trial run at least confirmed how well they'll turn out.

A full set of 4 of these (2 large and 2 small) would run us about $50 a set. Just to reiterate I'm not making anything off of this, just passing along my cost while trying to help fellow mudders with a need. So reply with a) how many sets and b) what material. If you wanted some quickly, bronze would be the way to go otherwise I think I'd recommend waiting and getting the cast iron like the originals.

If you guys think its best I start a separate thread in the classifieds let me know. Might be a good idea...

View attachment 2815795

View attachment 2815796

View attachment 2815797

View attachment 2815798
These look great. I will keep watching for the cast ones to come out. I will install the ones I made in the interim. I might be worth while to start a new thread in the classifieds as "For Sale" vs. wanted.

I'd be in for a set.

Egg on my face here guys... I was just chatting with @pardion about this and completely misunderstood the parts that he had sent me were NOT Toyota OEM shims. They're a little bigger with slightly bigger holes. They would work, but wouldn't be the same as OEM. Not sure about the rest of you but for me I'd rather get it right if we're going to do this. So... does anyone have a set of OEM shims they'd be willing to let me borrow for a month or so to get a mold made? I'd be willing to pay for your first set for anyone willing to loan them out. Would only need one of each of course (one large one small). @Living in the Past , do you have any? Anyone?

Egg on my face here guys... I was just chatting with @pardion about this and completely misunderstood the parts that he had sent me were NOT Toyota OEM shims. They're a little bigger with slightly bigger holes. They would work, but wouldn't be the same as OEM. Not sure about the rest of you but for me I'd rather get it right if we're going to do this. So... does anyone have a set of OEM shims they'd be willing to let me borrow for a month or so to get a mold made? I'd be willing to pay for your first set for anyone willing to loan them out. Would only need one of each of course (one large one small). @Living in the Past , do you have any? Anyone?
No worries. I do have some great dimensional pictures of the two shims. However if they are getting cast you would want originals to make molds.

Yes I do have some in Peoria. Like me know.

got the correct OEM shims from John @Living in the Past this morning and dropped them off with the casting shop. I posted an ad in the classifieds for anybody that wants a set, going to take a month or so before we have them likely but they'll be $50 for a full set of 4 + shipping. Click on the link below to add your name and quantity to the list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom