New owner of a LX450 and need your advise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently bought a 1997 LX450 (non triple locked) and wanted to see if you can help me out with the following:

Both front seat leather are torn and cushions are worn out, I got a quote to redo the front seats and rear bench (bottom only) for around $2,400, but after doing research I found out I can just buy the seat covers and just have them installed for less, would you recommend using Lseat? I see a couple of people from the forum has used them.

The SUV came with some ugly 20" wheels (aka drug dealer wheels) with dry rot tires that are ready to be throw out, for some reason I like skinny wheels and wanted to see if Tundra or FJ steelies are okay to use and the recommend tire, here is the look I am going for, FYI my LX has flares so I would more likely need spacers: flex dream land cruiser 80 - Google Search - https://www.google.com/search?q=flex+dream+land+cruiser+80&tbm=isch&chips=q:flex+dream+land+cruiser+80,online_chips:fj80:Y425gPxLEuo%3D&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS880US880&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj4ge33wdTzAhVFa6wKHfFnDL8Q4lYoCXoECAEQJA&biw=1903&bih=912

Passenger rear door needs the window trim and and sunroof needs the rubber trim, can you recommend a place to buy both of them.

The stock horn seems Wimpy for the tank the vehicle is, what do you recommend?

Thanks and I look forward learning more about Land Cruisers

Are you sure you want leather? Now is the time to go cloth and be happier! I have been happy with lseat but would prefer cloth and will upgrade to cloth some day. But i don't personally care for leather seats anyway. As far as leather quality, you can do better than lseat but it will be more expensive.

You need to post pictures of what you are referencing in your comments so we know what exactly is bad. For example sunroof trim....that can mean a lot.

Last edited:
I like skinny wheels and wanted to see if Tundra or FJ steelies are okay to use and the recommend tire, here is the look I am going for, FYI my LX has flares so I would more likely need spacers:
The only reason to use spacers is if you have rubbing. There's at least one thread about using FJ Cruiser alloy rims with Kenda 35x10.5 tires with no spacers and no rubbing.

I think there was just a thread on steel wheels from Summit Racing, and it was mentioned that they do custom backspacing and offsets for no charge. If you're going for the vintage look, that would be a better direction that spacers if you need clearance or want a particular look.
Passenger rear door needs the window trim
Window belt moulding?
and and sunroof needs the rubber trim
Bad news on that one. The rubber seal is sold as part of the sunroof assembly.
can you recommend a place to buy both of them.
You're either going to need to get familiar with reading Toyota parts diagrams and shopping around, or you're going to have to pay a premium to have an expert order parts for you. Or just go to your local dealership if you like free coffee and don't like having money.

I mostly order from Amayama (Japan is UAE), Partsouq (UAE), and McGeorge (USA) these days.
The stock horn seems Wimpy for the tank the vehicle is, what do you recommend?
There's a thread about upgrading to horns from the JDM 200-series. Look closely and you'll see that they're Maruko brand, which is also used on Subarus. So, overpay for a Toyota part, or just get the right Subaru horns off eBay like I did. Or go to AutoZone and get some Fiamm Freeway Blasters. Probably at least as effective, just without the JDM cool.

^x2 on the cloth, but it was only available on the Land Cruiser (if you care about that sort of thing), and it's only availabale as aftermarket AFAIK.

The door seals are here:
1634584395894.png

68142 is the window channel run which seals the window within the door frame; it comes out by hand and goes in with warm soapy water, but you have to remove the door trim panel to do it. 67871 is the body door seal; it's glued on to the body. You'll need 3M industrial adhesive remover and 3M industrial rubber adhesive (or equivalent) to do the repair. Check with a local body shop to see what they use; mine would let me talk them out of a little. You don't want Goo Gone or any other "decal" removers; you want the stuff that removes the rubber and the glue, or else you'll end up repainting the door jamb.

The "rubber trim" on the sunroof is a seal glued onto the glass. If you find it, you'll be the most popular guy in the Land Cruiser world. The seal was not meant to be removed; the sunroof is currently listed as available, $450-ish, but I'd check that since it would have to come from Japan (I haven't looked, but I'd take the bet it's not in a North American warehouse), and nothing's getting through L.A. at the moment. You can remove the sunroof glass (pop off the trim from the lower inside surface and remove three screws on each side, and apply rubber conditioner (after cleaning it).

As far as the wheels and horn are concerned, I'll let someone else opine on them.

67871 is the body door seal; it's glued on to the body.
FWIW, I just replaced all 4 door weather stripping with OEM.
67861-60073
67862-60073
67871-60043
67872-60043

On each piece, there is a 2" section with adhesive on each side of the base of the window frame. It is simply peel and stick. There is no other adhesive used. The new weather stripping comes with clips installed. All 4 doors were done in about an hour, including taking the time to clean around the doors once the old weather stripping was removed. Plastic trim tools work wonders.

FWIW, I just replaced all 4 door weather stripping with OEM.
67861-60073
67862-60073
67871-60043
67872-60043

On each piece, there is a 2" section with adhesive on each side of the base of the window frame. It is simply peel and stick. There is no other adhesive used. The new weather stripping comes with clips installed. All 4 doors were done in about an hour, including taking the time to clean around the doors once the old weather stripping was removed. Plastic trim tools work wonders.
One of the many things on my to-do list...I picked up a set of 12 trim plastic removal tools a couple of years ago at Napa for less than $20. Best $20 I spent all year - of course, they're not available anymore. Very similar to these:
1634649898584.png

What color seats do you have? I have a set of 9 out of 10 Tan/Beige leatehr seasts im selling....just a thought.

I’m a big fan of Honda’s Shin Etsu silicon grease, a friend turned me on to this and its worked wonders on reconditioning the rubber weatherstripping and window channels. Last weekend I went after the sunroof seal by cleaning it and rubbing Shin Etsu on all the surfaces I could get to, mine doesn’t leak so hopefully it will extend it’s life. A little bit goes a long way, one tube may last my lifetime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom