Rear hatch/tailgate leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
After weeks of chasing leaks in the back of my 80 I have found its the large main seal that runs around the body at the back.

If I squirt water onto the roof is comes down hits that seal and then is dripping onto the floor.

The seal it self seems to be in reasonable condition, it's not perished or cracked but water is getting around it where it joins to the bottom.

Should this seal be glued to the body or is it designed to be friction fit?

Having recently replaced mine, it's a friction fit like Trim-Lok, but there was some kind of gooey butyl in the channel. I only saw the butyl when I pulled the new one off slightly to shift it over a bit.

Having recently replaced mine, it's a friction fit like Trim-Lok, but there was some kind of gooey butyl in the channel. I only saw the butyl when I pulled the new one off slightly to shift it over a bit.
Thanks mate.
The new seal came with the butyl inside the channel?

I am wondering if the channel has just lost its bite on mine and needs replacing or if I can repair it somehow.

I recently changed mine and didn't notice any butyl. I wasn't paying terribly close attention though so could have been a small amount that I didn't make note of.

Mine did look to be in good shape but replacing it made a big difference in the rattles and wind noise coming in at the rear. Could still be worn even though it doesn't look it.

The new seal came with the butyl inside the channel?
Yeah, that's why I only saw it when I pulled the newly installed seal back off to reposition it slightly. It was completely unnoticeable before that point.

I am wondering if the channel has just lost its bite on mine and needs replacing or if I can repair it somehow.
I doubt it. The only reason I replaced mine is because it was torn up in a section when I bought the rig. I think it's typical Trim-Lok construction: rubber over thin aluminum or something. I don't know how water could flow around the bit that goes over the steel Land Cruiser body. That doesn't really make sense to me.

don't know how water could flow around the bit that goes over the steel Land Cruiser body. That doesn't really make sense to me.
I agree, I thought it might have been torn but it looks to be pretty good.
The only tear in it is a tear I put in it pulling it front the body.

It is very muddy and wet around the back of the rubber that clips over the steel.
This is the main thing that makes me think the water is going around the back of the clip.

Thanks for your reply mate, I think I am going to just pony up for a new seal.

Nope scratch that after pulling the seal fully off I have found some rust behind it.

The seam that the seal clips to is rusting.
Not sure how bad it is just yet but it's in a seriously bugger of a spot to rub back to clean up.

Has anyone else has to address rust in this area?

It's got me beat how it started to rust.
This car is new to me.

For tight areas I need to sand and clean up I use my oscillating multi-tool with the sanding pad attachment. The pointed end lets you get into some tight spaces. Also can look at some rust converter products like those sold by Eastwood. Some pictures would help if you need more pointers.

What is the usual cause for the 80 liftgate rust? Is it the seal or is water coming in from where the wind deflector mounts?

Try removing and cleaning it. I did that on mine and there was a bunch of dirt and crap that was causing water to get in the rear hatch area. No issues since reinstalling.

On the weekend I pulled the seal off and ordered a new one.
The rust in the rear was very hard to get at, getting a wirewheel in was tricky so i ended up getting at it with a wirebrush and some sand paper.
I have treated the section with some rust converter, i cannot see any holes in the steel but its very thin now.

Not sure if this is going to be suitable for the new seal or if i should be doing some more to repair it other than rust converter and some paint.

Before:

PXL_20211022_225059329.MP.jpg

After:

PXL_20211023_005616877.MP.jpg

I think I am going to run a second dose of rust converter over it today to see if i can get it a little bit cleaner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom