Bolt Extractor Recommendation? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The bolt head of one of my valve cover bolts snapped with minimal torque going back on. I tried a bolt extraction kit from Amazon and the drill bit just won't grip into the bolt. All of the kits online look like similar crap and probably what I would get at HF.

Can anyone recommend a good brand for a bolt extractor?

One lesson learned is that QTY 13 of 9010506221 is only $12.00 at the dealer.

Can you weld? My favorite is to tack a nut to the broken bolt, always works for me.

I realized the cover wasn’t threaded. Easy enough to remove the whole thing and have enough bolt exposed to remove.

The bolt head of one of my valve cover bolts snapped with minimal torque going back on. I tried a bolt extraction kit from Amazon and the drill bit just won't grip into the bolt. All of the kits online look like similar crap and probably what I would get at HF.

Crazy as it sounds...
If the broken bolt is along either "long" side, and surrounded by good bolts, I'd think you'll be fine without it. The surface doesn't hold back significant pressure.

Saw this after my reply.

You're the winner!

I appreciate the tip. I was lucky it was in a good location near the center of the long side.

I think the heat was getting to me this morning. I was just so surprised the bolt broke going back on vs. being removed.

I appreciate the tip. I was lucky it was in a good location near the center of the long side.

I think the heat was getting to me this morning. I was just so surprised the bolt broke going back on vs. being removed.
Just to be safe, I'd chase the threads carefully with a little lube before the cover install. The bolt could have been defective, but it doesn't hurt to take a few minutes to check the threads in the head.

You may have already fixed this but with some extractor kits you drill counterclockwise others clockwise. If you don't drill in the correct direction it won't bite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom