Just bought a windshield for $75: Where can I get an economy windshield gasket? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

joestewart

SILVER Star
Threads
Two of my FJ40's need new windshields and I was frustrated by the local glass shops quoting me $350 for a replacement windshield (installed). So I started shopping around at the smaller auto glass shops. I brought my old windshield for them to use as a pattern and told them it was out of a "dragline" (did not mention the word "Toyota" or "Land Cruiser" or "FJ40") and if they would please give me a quote for cutting an identical piece of glass for me?

$75 for clear glass. Sold ! I bought two windshields for $150. I feel perfectly able to install it myself (with two guys helping). Now I need the gasket.

Has anyone tried these cheap gaskets from Thailand? Here is a link to an ebay auction:

Or can anyone else recommend a place to buy an economy windshield gasket? Is the gasket for the FJ40 specific to that model, or does one of the generic windshield seals work? The one that I cut out from my FJ40 was a two piece gasket, but if I am understanding correctly, the two piece gaskets are obsolete and no longer used? Any recommendations appreciated. Thanks!

Great work! Sorry I'm of no help on the gasket.

Is your glass tempered ? I would hope so. Also, go ahead and try the Asian gaskets. Just remember the saying you get what you pay for. I believe there are other sources for this gasket.

Is your glass tempered ? I would hope so. Also, go ahead and try the Asian gaskets. Just remember the saying you get what you pay for. I believe there are other sources for this gasket.
Never use tempered glass for a windshield. Windshields should be made with laminated glass. When tempered glass breaks, it shatters and crumbles into small pieces and will blow into your eyes and face while driving down the road. Laminated has a layer glue like substance in between 2 pieces of glass. Usually just the outer layer gets broken. Its designed to stay intact if broken.

Last edited:
This doesn't sound right at all. a few red flags.

ok. the $350 quote was too much for flat glass in an FJ40. Automotive flat glass can usually be cut affordably, and you should be using the right material, which it seems like no.

As far as a cheap gasket, on other truck up here, that is a common rust area, destroying the cab. Save some money on one gasket only to scrap the vehicle later, doesn't make any sense. Thats an important gasket in a wet or salt area. Use the best one you can.

'75 and up shows still available from Toyota for ~$60: 56121-90301 Genuine Toyota Weatherstrip, Windshield - https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyota~weatherstrip~windshield~56121-90301.html

'69 through '75 showing available also for same price: 56121-60011 Genuine Toyota Weatherstrip, Windshield - https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyota~weatherstrip~windshield~56121-60011.html

Disclaimer: I haven't tried to order either but I did just buy a spare OEM for my '83 FJ45 and it was about the same price.

Has anyone tried these cheap gaskets from Thailand? Here is a link to an ebay auction:

Cheap? OEM Genuine Toyota gasket is cheaper. I bought it $53.20: Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 40 Series OEM Front Windshield Rubber Weatherstrip Seal | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Land-Cruiser-FJ40-40-Series-OEM-Front-Windshield-Rubber-Weatherstrip-Seal-/254419343506

Great, I'll go with the oem gasket. Appreciate the tip. Yeah, this is the glass with the glue in the middle (it is windshield glass). All the glass retailers around here at least, when you tell them you want a windshield for a 1970 FJ40, they check their supplier and then tell you its no longer available, and that they will have to cut it (or have it cut) and then quote you some outrageously high amount. I never thought about checking the dealer. Could of saved $15.

Don't forget the 'lock.' A shop did mine, from cut glass, and tossed the lock. The windshield fell in, but stopped because of the windshield wiper motor, at 70 mph on I-25. The shop blamed my purchase of weatherstip, and cut a new, bigger, window to fit the gap.

Thank you for that tip on the lock.

The local dealer was NLA on the glass and gasket. And boy, did they struggle with the VIN - "Can't do anything without the VIN" - "Your VIN is the wrong number of digits, are you sure its correct?" 10 minutes later - "We will have to have the manager help you". etc etc.

I ended up going with this gasket - it says genuine Toyota:

$70.41 with tax

Thanks

The local dealer was NLA on the glass and gasket. And boy, did they struggle with the VIN - "Can't do anything without the VIN" - "Your VIN is the wrong number of digits, are you sure its correct?" 10 minutes later - "We will have to have the manager help you". etc etc.

$70.41 with tax

Thanks
I'd always go with most to-date part numbers, from this point forward, of available parts. A new face at the parts counter told me that they don't have parts for anything older than late '80s. So, now, I have to mail order parts like oil filters, although I'm a half a block away from the parts department, or, try to politely explain to the new person that the guy before him actually helped me with parts and service.

Sometimes your local dealership might have a parts ordering website. It's like 30% cheaper at my local dealer if I order the parts online and walk-in and pick them up. They have to compete with other online prices. Use a good parts number website and get your own numbers. Parts guys who know parts are very rare now.

My new windshield was $350 installed. They said it was a battle with the original seal being as stiff as it was.

They used the old one as a template and cut it onsite.

I would wager some of the price difference is just that - the original $350 mentioned was "installed", and labor adds up pretty quick if they're assuming removal and reinstallation. $75 is fairly cheap for the glass, but seems like most will cut it for $100-$150 or so without much price shopping. Throw in the labor, and that's likely where the original $350 added up to.

$70.41 with tax

Thanks
Actually am doing this tonight as well, got the glass out and will be looking for a glass cutter tomorrow. What is "the lock"?

ws3.jpg

ws2.jpg

ws1.jpg

Don't forget the 'lock.' A shop did mine, from cut glass, and tossed the lock.
I have no idea of that ’lock’ too...🤔

There is not any locking strip in the OEM gasket.

There is a locking piece of OEM weather strip from 1969-1974 for sure. Dont think later years had them. No idea about earlier years.

Last edited:
Reactions: flx
There is a locking piece of OEM weather strip from 1969-1975 for sure. Dont think later years had them. No idea about earlier years.
A little off topic: We recently installed windows for our hardtop. Couldn't find OEM side window weatherstripping. Ended up buying this:
50' of 2 piece weatherstripping from DK Supply. Order Details: Two-Piece Self-Sealing Weatherstrip for 3/32" to 9/64" Panel or 3/16" to 1/4" Glass
13/32" Wide Locking Strip for Two-Piece Weatherstrips - 50' $165.56
Worked perfectly. Lots of left over material.

I just got the windshield glass out of my '76 FJ40 yesterday and the weatherstripping is in good condition, although 45 years old. I removed the windshield because I'm painting the rig and plan to reuse the glass and weatherstripping. The rubber is untorn, uncracked, flexible but dirty. I've had good luck in the past cleaning up rubber things like weatherstripping and hoses using Westley's Whitewall Cleaner and will probably use that on the windshield weatherstripping but my question is what to use after cleaning to keep it nice and flexible, and also black of course? I've used Armorall, 303, and various Meguiar's products for all kinds of rubber trim but looking for more of a "conditioner" than surface coating to renew it for the next 45 years. Any suggestions?

Reading this thread I see new Toyota windshield weatherstripping pretty cheap, less than $75, so maybe I should just go new. But I hate not reusing something that I can fix-restore-recondition!

Thanks,
Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom