FJ 62 manual swap ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gimme a 60

Shake Hands with Danger
SILVER Star
Threads
Hello LandCrusiers!

What would it take to swap a FJ 62 transmission with a 4 speed 60 series transmission? I’m thinking to just buy a parts truck and swapping the transfer case and transmission? Also are the 62 series automatics any good ?

This is a fun conversion. A 4 or 5-speed makes a world of difference on a 62. Plenty of threads documenting the steps on this site. Might try cross posting this in the 60 tech section. I have never driven an automatic (converted them all) in a 62. Some like them but most will tell you to do the swap if you have the resources.

Short list (not all inclusive)
  • transmission of choice (make sure you get all the shifters and linkage for everything)
  • split case
  • proper bell housing
  • proper pedal bucket
  • clutch master and slave
  • transmission crossmember
  • clutch and flywheel
  • front drive-shaft (shorter)
  • rear drive shaft (longer)
  • associated floor boots and trim
  • new radiator (or plug off the cooler if it has one)
  • assorted bolts and hardware
  • assorted hoses and lines

that is just what I can come up with off the top of my head, but I know there is more to it, those are the big bits, lots of little stuff. The A440F is not a bad box, but it does rob a good amount of power from the 3FE. It is a completely hydraulic/mechanical transmission, so no electrics to go bad on it, just the valve body I have not driven a manual 3FE truck, but from those who have, they say that a manual swap really wakes up the ole' 3FE. My 91 has the same combo and I have considered doing a manual swap, but honestly, I believe for my driving, I am going to have the trans rebuilt, stick a nomad valve body in it and then see what I can do to wake up the 3FE with some head work and go from there. Going to depend on what you want the truck for. I have enough others I can gear grind in, I'm keeping the auto because sometimes I'd rather just drive.

I know several folks that have swapped them and it can be done in your driveway if you have the bits and a pal to help with some of the awkward bits. You do you man, if you just got it, drive it around for a while and decide how much you care for it.

Also are the 62 series automatics any good ?

The A440F has a nice deep overdrive that allows your 3F-E to run a low RPM on the highway. First is fairly low, too. Beyond that, it's an old school auto trans that sucks up some horsepower and does not lock the torque converter in 3rd (only 4th). Mine shifts well at 260K miles, but if it dies, I will have to consider an H55 manual.

Adding to the list, don’t forget the little brackets to hold the clutch line against the firewall. There are a LOT of fiddly buts you’ll want to have, if possible.

I’m about to dive in to this myself and I’m just finishing up cutting apart a rust heap for parts. Every time I say “that’s the last usable part” I spot something else I need to grab!

The 4 speed transmission has been discontinued for many years and Toyota no longer sells parts for it. A new 5 speed is currently still available.

Paging @Paul DiNapoli who has an excellent spreadsheet of his h55 swap.

A desmogged 3FE and h55 are transformative for a 62.

Short list (not all inclusive)
  • transmission of choice (make sure you get all the shifters and linkage for everything)
  • split case
  • proper bell housing
  • proper pedal bucket
  • clutch master and slave
  • transmission crossmember
  • clutch and flywheel
  • front drive-shaft (shorter)
  • rear drive shaft (longer)
  • associated floor boots and trim
  • new radiator (or plug off the cooler if it has one)
  • assorted bolts and hardware
  • assorted hoses and lines

that is just what I can come up with off the top of my head, but I know there is more to it, those are the big bits, lots of little stuff. The A440F is not a bad box, but it does rob a good amount of power from the 3FE. It is a completely hydraulic/mechanical transmission, so no electrics to go bad on it, just the valve body I have not driven a manual 3FE truck, but from those who have, they say that a manual swap really wakes up the ole' 3FE. My 91 has the same combo and I have considered doing a manual swap, but honestly, I believe for my driving, I am going to have the trans rebuilt, stick a nomad valve body in it and then see what I can do to wake up the 3FE with some head work and go from there. Going to depend on what you want the truck for. I have enough others I can gear grind in, I'm keeping the auto because sometimes I'd rather just drive.

I know several folks that have swapped them and it can be done in your driveway if you have the bits and a pal to help with some of the awkward bits. You do you man, if you just got it, drive it around for a while and decide how much you care for it.
Yes this one that I’m looking at has a rebuilt transmission….. still would want a manual SO is it worth me buying a rotten 60 series and just swapping parts?

Yes this one that I’m looking at has a rebuilt transmission….. still would want a manual SO is it worth me buying a rotten 60 series and just swapping parts?
A parts truck would ensure you get all the bits you need. As long as all the parts you need are usable, probably come out cheaper in the long run, then you can part whatever is left to make back some of your investment.

A parts truck would ensure you get all the bits you need. As long as all the parts you need are usable, probably come out cheaper in the long run, then you can part whatever is left to make back some of your investment.
The one I would buy would be a 60 series with a 3b would it be worth swapping that too? Some people like to talk crap about the 3FE

The one I would buy would be a 60 series with a 3b would it be worth swapping that too? Some people like to talk crap about the 3FE
The 3B is great for going places. Slowly.

Nothing wrong with either engine.

The 3B is great for going places. Slowly.

Nothing wrong with either engine.
Would it be hard to swap? I believe the frames are the same but I would probably need to make some motor mounts ?

Would it be hard to swap? I believe the frames are the same but I would probably need to make some motor mounts ?
Never done it but probably motor mounts and cross member. Gas automatic to diesel manual. Probably some wiring differences too.

Never done it but probably motor mounts and cross member. Gas automatic to diesel manual. Probably some wiring differences too.
Yea, this 62 is going to be a big project for somone who is in high school with zero experience.

The bellhousing and input shaft are differnt for a b series.
Transfercase should swap over. If you got a bare trans. It's a heavy slug with an auto.

I did this swap on a firstgen 4runner, assuming its very similar for a 60. The holes youll need to drill are already templated out with your current auto pedal bracket. Drill the holes while the auto bracket is still on there since it wont have the clutch bracket on there in the way. Youll need a hole saw for the clutch master to go through and a large bit for the two bolts. Youll need to jump the neutral safety switch wire to trick the truck to think its always in park as well. Its a pretty straight forward swap though. Was my first real project on a vehicle. You got this

I did this swap on a firstgen 4runner, assuming its very similar for a 60. The holes youll need to drill are already templated out with your current auto pedal bracket. Drill the holes while the auto bracket is still on there since it wont have the clutch bracket on there in the way. Youll need a hole saw for the clutch master to go through and a large bit for the two bolts. Youll need to jump the neutral safety switch wire to trick the truck to think its always in park as well. Its a pretty straight forward swap though. Was my first real project on a vehicle. You got this
Thanks man I really appreciate this comment !!

You want to find a FJ60 parts rig with a 2F. then you will have all the parts you need. 3B transmission and bellhousing will not work with a 3FE. Flywheel may also be an issue.

For the most part, people only talk crap about 3FE when found in an 80 series Land Cruiser. The 3FE is an excellent engine for the part time 4WD, and lighter weight, 60 series.

I've owned Cruisers with both engines and there's no way I'd take a 3B over the 3FE. If the only parts rig available is a BJ? Well, then you may need to consider it, per Godwin's response above.

If you're swapping engines just find a 1HDT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom