Has anyone tried swapping the V6 motor and 6-speed trans from an FJ Cruiser into an FJ60? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
worldseasonings.com
I have a 2007 FJ cruiser , 6 speed manual and she runs like a champ. Today as I drove into my office, I started thinking about putting an FJ V6 and 6 speed tranny in an FJ60. So I did a search here but didn't find anything.

Anyone know if this has been done? if there is a thread on it, please share.

The main issues will be the transfer case rear output flanges. The rear won't be centered with the rear axle, and the front driveshaft flange is on the wrong side.

It might be possible to put something like a UZJ 100 transfer case on it, or maybe there is another transfer case in Toyota's lineup that will work. I don't know.

The conventional wisdom is that for the effort involved, there's always some combination of Chevy V8/Toyota diesel/cobbled-to-your-exact-needs bastard 2FE/2F-TBI and Toyota and GM/NV/etc. running gear & adapters to put all of it under the truck. The thinking is that'll one of those is guaranteed to make you happier than any other option unless you got the drivetrain for cheap/free or have some other really specific reason to use something else -- things like really nice Mercedes and Isuzu diesels, Toyota V8, etc. builds come to mind.

If you're willing to ditch the 60 axles, a Vortec 5.3 or 6.0, NV4500, NP205 (IIRC, it's been a while since I looked into full-size t-cases), and 9-inch front and rear axles in your desired width and pumpkin offsets will almost certainly be cheaper, fewer steps, and better-performing/suited to the 60 than any manual 4x4 drivetrain in a Tacoma/FJC/etc. If you want to keep the 60 axles, I haven't seen a better solution than adapting between your desired engine and a split transfer case, or between an H55f (and split case behind it) and your engine.

But...this is all 'conventional wisdom.' I actually feel like, for the difficulty of *any* EFI engine swap into a 60, it's actually gonna kinda be a wash/up to you to plan well or poorly and it'll take longer and cost more than you expect, and will either make you happy or not when you're done...and you can't actually know before you start. That said, I'd rather have something well-explored and 'figured out' if the goal is to get the swap done fast, *or* something unusual that I haven't really *seen* like a Ford 300 straight-6 with a megasquirt TBI on it.

Reactions: OSS
The conventional wisdom is that for the effort involved, there's always some combination of Chevy V8/Toyota diesel/cobbled-to-your-exact-needs bastard 2FE/2F-TBI and Toyota and GM/NV/etc. running gear & adapters to put all of it under the truck. The thinking is that'll one of those is guaranteed to make you happier than any other option unless you got the drivetrain for cheap/free or have some other really specific reason to use something else -- things like really nice Mercedes and Isuzu diesels, Toyota V8, etc. builds come to mind.

If you're willing to ditch the 60 axles, a Vortec 5.3 or 6.0, NV4500, NP205 (IIRC, it's been a while since I looked into full-size t-cases), and 9-inch front and rear axles in your desired width and pumpkin offsets will almost certainly be cheaper, fewer steps, and better-performing/suited to the 60 than any manual 4x4 drivetrain in a Tacoma/FJC/etc. If you want to keep the 60 axles, I haven't seen a better solution than adapting between your desired engine and a split transfer case, or between an H55f (and split case behind it) and your engine.

But...this is all 'conventional wisdom.' I actually feel like, for the difficulty of *any* EFI engine swap into a 60, it's actually gonna kinda be a wash/up to you to plan well or poorly and it'll take longer and cost more than you expect, and will either make you happy or not when you're done...and you can't actually know before you start. That said, I'd rather have something well-explored and 'figured out' if the goal is to get the swap done fast, *or* something unusual that I haven't really *seen* like a Ford 300 straight-6 with a megasquirt TBI on it.
That was exactly the type of wisdom I was seeking. It all makes sense to me. Thank you for sharing!

That was exactly the type of wisdom I was seeking. It all makes sense to me. Thank you for sharing!
For what it's worth, for my money, I'm just polishing the 2F turd until my hobby experiments with electric power on two-wheeled stuff that I've been getting into lately and advances in battery/fuel cell tech intersect and I can get ~300 ft/lbs, a bunch of manually selectable gears (because I *like* them, not because I *need* them), and even less noise (and a lot less smells) than the 2F *and* do long distance practically, and/or I finish my PhD and have enough time/money for a V8 swap before gas is $6/gallon. I'm so happy with the little $900 '87 Subaru GL (with low-range and a 5-speed, and my 6'6" ass fits in the driver's seat like a glove) I got, though, that I bet my 60 is gonna just age gracefully until it gets the cyborg resurrection, though. ETA 2028, you can quote me on that, lol.

For what it's worth, for my money, I'm just polishing the 2F turd until my hobby experiments with electric power on two-wheeled stuff that I've been getting into lately and advances in battery/fuel cell tech intersect and I can get ~300 ft/lbs, a bunch of manually selectable gears (because I *like* them, not because I *need* them), and even less noise (and a lot less smells) than the 2F *and* do long distance practically, and/or I finish my PhD and have enough time/money for a V8 swap before gas is $6/gallon. I'm so happy with the little $900 '87 Subaru GL (with low-range and a 5-speed, and my 6'6" ass fits in the driver's seat like a glove) I got, though, that I bet my 60 is gonna just age gracefully until it gets the cyborg resurrection, though. ETA 2028, you can quote me on that, lol.
You can buy a lot of fuel to power an old 2F for the cost of a conversion. You have to either throw thought out the window and do the swap and enjoy it and never think about $$$ or just leave it stock :)

You can buy a lot of fuel to power an old 2F for the cost of a conversion. You have to either throw thought out the window and do the swap and enjoy it and never think about $$$ or just leave it stock :)
The more I look into it, i am starting to agree with your line of thought!

Not to mention I live in Commie Cali and gruesome newsome will probably make gas cars/truck illegal like he just did lawnmower, generators and any other gas tool we need!

Not to mention I live in Commie Cali and gruesome newsome will probably make gas cars/truck illegal like he just did lawnmower, generators and any other gas tool we need!

Seems like you could move ;)

and you have until 2024 to buy a gas powered lawn mower. So go stock up so you can make a mint selling black market mowers after 2024.

Seems like you could move ;)

and you have until 2024 to buy a gas powered lawn mower. So go stock up so you can make a mint selling black market mowers after 2024.
Funny. I had the same idea on stocking up. And move, yes, the is an option. But I have lived 7 blocks from the beach for the past 17 years. Part of my soul is here. IF ONLY CALI WOULD WAKE UP TO ALL THE BULL**** THESE A-HOLES CREATE! Colorado would be great (where I grew up) but it looks like they are headed in the same direction as CommieCalifornication!

the LS swap will be easier by a lot but the FJC drivetrain would be cool. Marlin and TG sell a T case adapter to make the t case chain drive and passenger drop i think. Youd just need a centered rear axle. Id imagine youd need to run the FJC ecu and have some very competent with HP Tuners in your back pocket

the LS swap will be easier by a lot but the FJC drivetrain would be cool. Marlin and TG sell a T case adapter to make the t case chain drive and passenger drop i think. Youd just need a centered rear axle. Id imagine youd need to run the FJC ecu and have some very competent with HP Tuners in your back pocket
And you have the option of a fully emission compliant LS package.

What are portable genarators gonna be powered by?
Serious answer, at least in my own goofy-assed new-kid-reinventing-the-wheel POV? Wood gas for old, bad engines you don't care about, some combo of propane, hydrogen, methane/natural gas, or ethanol for anything you'd like to keep running for a long time/it's easier to find fuel than semi-disposable engines to 'waste' on wood gas.

Serious answer, at least in my own goofy-assed new-kid-reinventing-the-wheel POV? Wood gas for old, bad engines you don't care about, some combo of propane, hydrogen, methane/natural gas, or ethanol for anything you'd like to keep running for a long time/it's easier to find fuel than semi-disposable engines to 'waste' on wood gas.
hydrogen battery fuel cells id imagine

The bill they signed into law does not "ban" all of those items. A committee will be formed to establish a viable time frame for the phase out of those items, but all of their final recommendations must be made by that point. Things like generators will obviously be looked at and given exceptions.

Contraire mon frere.....the LS3 will save money in the long run at Dblish MPG. Jus may take a while to hit that point. but aprox 1000 gallons or $3,000/year savings

Contraire mon frere.....the LS3 will save money in the long run at Dblish MPG. Jus may take a while to hit that point. but aprox 1000 gallons or $3,000/year savings
Depends on how much you drive. A swap is going to run at least $10k if I do it all myself most likely closer to $15k. $15/$3 pg is 5000 gallons @14mpg I can drive 70,000 miles before I spend that amount in gas. But i have to buy gas for either setup. Im doubtful that the LS3 swap doubles my mileage. Maybe gets me to 20mpg?

So this is why I always say don’t do the math. Just do the swap because you want to. You’ll rarely ever be able to soundly rationalize the investment. 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom