Fuel Guage malfunction - 1978 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Turned FJ on today fuel guage was reading fine with 1/4 tank full. Turned off guage went to empty like normal. Started back up a few minutes later and the needle went to past full position. When I turn off the needle slowly goes back to empty….confirmed fuel level in tank and it was at 1/4 full. Would this be a guage that has gone bad or would this be a sender issue and need replacement? Thanks for all the help.

They make fuel additives that are designed to remove buildup on sending units and getting them to function back at 100%. Maybe trying one of them to resolve the issue.

I would check connections first. If I remember right, past full with key on is a disconnection somewhere in the path? (Or was past full a ground somewhere in the path…..)

I would check connections first. If I remember right, past full with key on is a disconnection somewhere in the path? (Or was past full a ground somewhere in the path…..)

I know on my 68 when the wire came loose on temperature sending unit the temperature on the guage pegged past high.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom