Oil in my intake? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I remembered wrong, she's set to 9* BTDC. I seem to remember reading it should be 10* for altitude. Got the IAC set properly on the Sniper, she's running SMOOTH now!

Thank you both for your replies, I didn't think they looked bad, but I am just a monkey who turns wrenches, I still have a hell of a lot to learn about actual mechanicing (yep, I'm calling that a word now). The Goat seems to be running smoother and with more power now, so I'm hoping that I found a leak and fixed it in there somewhere and that was the answer to my problems. After this tank of gas I'll also go back to 87 octane and play with the timing again, I'm pretty sure I had set it to 7 TDC, trying to stop the pinging even though we live at 5500' and typically wheel higher.

I did not read the whole post, but did you replace the PCV ?

Amazon product ASIN B000CAVQB0

I remembered wrong, she's set to 9* BTDC. I seem to remember reading it should be 10* for altitude. Got the IAC set properly on the Sniper, she's running SMOOTH now!
Where do you have your IAC set?

Yep, PCV is new, seems the (small) bit of oil perfectly normal. There are some good explanations as to why earlier in the thread. @cps432 the IAC is holding stead at 7-8 with a TPS of 0. Had to remember that you adjust the IAC and then turn everything off, when you restart it resets the TPS sensor to 0 so now I have a happy idle at 750 (just enough to keep the alternator going).

Yep, PCV is new, seems the (small) bit of oil perfectly normal. There are some good explanations as to why earlier in the thread. @cps432 the IAC is holding stead at 7-8 with a TPS of 0. Had to remember that you adjust the IAC and then turn everything off, when you restart it resets the TPS sensor to 0 so now I have a happy idle at 750 (just enough to keep the alternator going).
When you turn the power on, and it’s booting up, does the IAC sit at around 30% until you crank it?

Good question, I will look at this tomorrow! Hadn't actually paid any attention to what it does before cranking other than waiting for that 2" burst from the ignitors. I had, however, noticed that it runs quite rich before the O2 sensor warms up, (based upon initial O2 sensor readings immediately upon startup). Probably need to lean that initial program, but need to read up on that first (I tend to be bad about thinking I understand a thing and changing s***, only to learn I really did't understand it).

Good question, I will look at this tomorrow! Hadn't actually paid any attention to what it does before cranking other than waiting for that 2" burst from the ignitors. I had, however, noticed that it runs quite rich before the O2 sensor warms up, (based upon initial O2 sensor readings immediately upon startup). Probably need to lean that initial program, but need to read up on that first (I tend to be bad about thinking I understand a thing and changing s***, only to learn I really did't understand it).
Lol sounds like me! I’ve got about 70 miles in on my new setup and I’m still trying to figure out what the sniper is telling me. This morning it was cold and the IAC was at 100% when I started it up. I’ve had it stall on me twice when idling out of a parking spot. I think because it was cold and the sniper wasn’t sure what to do yet. Or maybe I have an exhaust leak? I know I don’t have a vac leak. I’m pulling almost 19 up in Colorado. Seems to be running great otherwise.

@cps432, I definitely had a small exhaust leak around the bushing on my heat riser, that is the only leak I could positively identify on either intake or exhaust. Before pulling the manifolds she didn't like to start on even a cool morning and would sputter out at the first couple stop signs. After replacing every gasket on both manifolds and removing the heat riser valve (plugged with a bolt and high temp RTV), she still fights to wake up in the morning now that it's hitting freezing temps, but no longer stalls at even the first stop sign. I think the hard starts are related to my initial startup settings, she always runs super rich right out the gate and then leans out once the O2 sensor heats up. That said, I'v fluttered the gas manually until the O2 sensor kicks in and then she will still die once. Restart and idles like a dream, not sure what's up with that. Take a shop vac with the hose on the output side of the vac and seal that into your tail pipe, then feel around all the exhaust gaskets under the hood to see if you can feel air blowing our. You can probably do this on the intake side too, I just haven't done that before.

Clark

@cps432, I definitely had a small exhaust leak around the bushing on my heat riser, that is the only leak I could positively identify on either intake or exhaust. Before pulling the manifolds she didn't like to start on even a cool morning and would sputter out at the first couple stop signs. After replacing every gasket on both manifolds and removing the heat riser valve (plugged with a bolt and high temp RTV), she still fights to wake up in the morning now that it's hitting freezing temps, but no longer stalls at even the first stop sign. I think the hard starts are related to my initial startup settings, she always runs super rich right out the gate and then leans out once the O2 sensor heats up. That said, I'v fluttered the gas manually until the O2 sensor kicks in and then she will still die once. Restart and idles like a dream, not sure what's up with that. Take a shop vac with the hose on the output side of the vac and seal that into your tail pipe, then feel around all the exhaust gaskets under the hood to see if you can feel air blowing our. You can probably do this on the intake side too, I just haven't done that before.

Clark
I’m experiencing exactly that. I suspect a small exhaust leak somewhere. The headers I installed a few weeks ago leave much to be desired. As long as I can get down the road long enough to move and get a new job I’ll be happy to deal with the hard startups. I tell you, this thing pulls like a champ up the hills now and that’s what I was most concerned about. At least I have no vac leaks! My O2 sensor is back a few inches further than suggested but that’s temporary and I think I’ll survive.

I used to say the H55f was the best thing I could have done to the Goat, but now the Sniper is definitely in that position. The combination makes highway travel acceptable comfortable now, though obviously still not "speedy" by modern terms!

I used to say the H55f was the best thing I could have done to the Goat, but now the Sniper is definitely in that position. The combination makes highway travel acceptable comfortable now, though obviously still not "speedy" by modern terms!
Agreed! I had to down shift from 5th to 4th at the very top of the hill yesterday when I was on the highway. Got up to 65 half way up the hill and it started to drop a bit. Down shift. Climbed just fine. I’m happy with a fast tractor!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom