Planning stages for a dedicated roadtripper build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mark W

Yep, it's true. I just don't care that much.
Threads
The goal and intended usages of this rig will be a bit different than most. Not extremely different, but slightly so. The rig in the end will probably be fairly routine regardless of the motivations for the end result.

What I am starting with is a totally stock 1995 FZJ80. No lockers right now, but I have a pair of axles set aside for it and complete factory wiring harness for the conversion. What I will be looking to achieve is a dedicated road tripper. Note I did not call it an "Overlander" or an "Expedition rig". I absolutely hate those terms. We will not need passports nor will we need to learn a second language or exchange our currency. It is a frickin' road trip, that's all.

We will be moving the rig down to the '48 after it is done to use it for 6-8 weeks a year in the spring. It will be staged at varying places each year when we head back north in prep for the following years trip.

We plan to explore the country, with emphasis on hiking, biking, kayaking, fishing, camping and generally exploring the lesser traveled roads and the back country. We will also be spending time in small towns and rural America and of course there will be a few trips to a few cities as specific destinations. We anticipate camping for the most part but with stops in hotels where ever we happen to be every 4-5 days when we are moving from place to place, occasionally staying for day or so rather than just overnight to take advantage of office suites and get some remote online work done.
Lots of highway mile obviously, but because of our preferred recreational pursuits and interests I am sure we will be taking the '80 everywhere that does not require a dedicated "offroad" rig. In other words, we will not be challenging the Hammers but we will be visiting the trails of Moab and the like. Ranch and BLM roads out west along with the fire roads of the eastern mountains, wide open interstate highways of the west and the city streets of the eastern megapolises.

As you can see, the tasking will be largely exactly what the rig was designed for. At least so far as North American uses go. The only real difference is that we will be in the rig for an extended time every year and not near any real "home base". We anticipate that this will be an ongoing outing covering 5-10 years.

Now, with all of that out of the way, the reason for this thread is to see what sort of input may surface in terms of the sort of modifications (few I expect) or work to be done to the rig people might suggest. The kind of stuff that folks have decided that they can not live without for this sort of use and the stuff that they found was just a waste.

If you know me, even if just from Mud, then you know that I already have my own thoughts on the subject. Pretty comprehensive and considered thoughts. For now I am gonna leave those alone and see what might come up that I have not thought of, or what suggestions that run against my first impressions might show up to make me rethink things. :)

Other than a locked '95 FZJ* the only things (I think) that I consider set in stone... or at least anchored in hard dirt... are an an ARB on the front, some sort of rear bumper to move the tire out from underneath to make room for an aux fuel tank, and some sort of aux lighting (unlike my neck of the woods, it still gets dark at night down there, even in the spring and summer). ;)

Anyone care to play? What do you think a road tripper like this simply has to have? what do you think is simply silly to spend money on?

Mark...

Hey Mark, been awhile and surprised you would ask these questions. Have you used a roof tent before? I’ve got a few years of long trips to the Yukon Northern BC , all the usual and a lot of unusual. Like you I don’t do camp grounds, haven’t been in one in years. Roof tents allow for security as you are up above, nothing more disconcerting than some idiot pressing their hands and face peering in through the windows while you are sleeping. Roof tents ventilate nicely on hot nights. Something to think about down south. Really convenient when you are transiting for 4-5 days straight. Drive, stop make a meal hit the sack, wake up and go - coffee stop at next diner. These are my things. Nothing I can tell you about how to prep a vehicle. If we started talking about it I’d learn from you, not the other way around. I travel bare bones, no big boxes of gear, sliding drawers etc. I keep it simple. Everything in canvas bags, sorted accordingly.
I do have a National Luna 50 Weekender. Probably the best addition, easy to wire, no issues, absolutely eliminates concern about food control. Only issue, they are all ‘tall’, 22” so getting the lid open is the reason for drawers, sliders etc. I keep mine screwed to the floor at the back and work around it. It opens with the rear hatch closed so I can do a meal in really ugly, stupid heavy rainstorms. I carry a cot and tent for times I want to base camp for a week.
I travel solo, but I think you won’t be so that will influence your setup.
If you come down to Vancouver Island and are wandering around I’d enjoy meeting up and spending a couple of nights around a fire. PM me.

Hey Mark, been awhile and surprised you would ask these questions.

I tend to think I "know it all", but I know that I really don't. I think. ;)

I'm just looking to get whatever input people toss out from their experiences that might be different than mine. Your comments about the tent are exactly that type of stuff. I have never been impressed with the entire package of roof top tents for my uses where I travel, the way I travel and my reasons for travel, have never owned one and never felt the need for one. But an extended road trip(s) around the lower 48 is a completely different affair and I am expecting that the build will include some sort of RTT. Input from people who have will be valuable for decision making on that front.
Same with the fridge. I have never felt the need for one in the field, even for a couple of weeks at a time. For longer runs, I have sometimes wished I had something but it has not been a major issue (A lot of the places I frequent I can find lingering snowpack in shaded ravines even in August, and the creeks always run cold). Longer runs in warmer climes... different animal. :)

At first blush, my thoughts about gear stowage are similar to yours. I like good heavy duty gear bags. Different sizes and different colors . Everything organized and bagged. Nothing left loose in the rig. But bags seem to let you fit a lot more in the limited space than hard containers. And do not add the weight that draw systems and sturdy hard containers do. At least that's my thinking based on my personal , more off road oriented experiences.

Yeah, I know that I could search for stuff. Get lots of (old) info... if I happen to think of issues to search for. :( My hope is that this thread may bring some stuff to my attention that might not even occur to me to ask about.

I am not so much worried about all the basic vehicle stuff. Simple enough to make everything right about the rig before we get started and while I might be far from any sort of base of operations, I expect I can handle any maintenance or repairs needed on the road. It is comments. opinions and experience about all the other stuff that I expect to be able to glean for jewels. ;)

Mark...

Last edited:
Roof tents - fold over style are not for me. Hard shell have nicer aerodynamics. Mine is Autohome
Maggiolina Extreme Small. Bed size 47”x72”. Bottom shell indestructible. Never leaks, ever under
any amount of anything, Rain or snow. I have the winter cover, helps when sub zero to keep wind away.
limitations for comfort is mattress thickness. I have a 60 yr old body, joint pressure points so I’m using
EXPED and just got their little pump Widget. Air mattresses that are thick don’t allow bedding as well.
So deflation is required, reinflating daily is a pain in the butt!
As far as brands that I like compared to mine? Tepui, & iKamper. Mine is mechanical crank.
60 cranks, 1 minute - done. Closing 55 cranks, go around tuck in material, 5 cranks. 3 min done.
It is nice to be able to stop and tuck with it almost closed.
Night time - I keep a large Gatorade bottle. Screwed on tight, lid never fails. Even when thrown to the
ground.
I keep CROCS. They are foam, good grip on the ladder and dirt and crap don’t tend to stick to the
bottom so they are easy to clean off and put inside. Also CROCS being foam, even at -15C I
can walk around in bare feet and my feet stay warm. Usually just long enough to get dressed. I wear
sweat pants and sleeping shirt and keep clothes/ footwear folded down below.
I don’t wear my daytime clothes to bed is what I’m getting at.

Water storage and use is the other big thing. I keep a 5 gal and 2.5 gal. Also half dozen of the 1 litre
Nalgene bottles. Getting good potable water that’s not got sediments or residue is hard when travelling
in lower 48. I live in hotels all over, 5 weeks at a time. I’ve found Target stores provide 1 gal Distilled water
for consistently the cheapest price. I use distilled water because there are no residues.
I‘ve had way too many gut aches from bad water, can’t count.

If useful to you, I've found usb rechargeable headband lights and magnetic-base lights with swivel heads to be about the least I can tolerate for offgrid lighting on the cheap an' easy, other than a Coleman lantern that you wouldn't want stinking up your rig in transit.
There's not much else I can think of for simple road trippin'.
Water and vittles? But it sounds like you'll be close enough to civilization to get it when you want it. Or you prob have lifestraws or something similar.
The lockers will make tire choice a breeze. Classic GY Wranglers - 265/75/16. Cheap and quite a soft ride. I think the highways will be bumpier than most of your off road routes. Plus the raised white letters (like sweat pants) will signal that you 'haven't forgotten'. And I haven't either (to explain the goading).
Bet you'll see 20mpg/hwy on them @35psi.

I’m thinking:
-USB chargers for you and your companion(s)
-scangauge for coolant temp monitoring and cel checking/resetting
-fridge-will pay for itself faster than for the rest of us when you will have 6-8 weeks/yr of daily ice usage. Not to mention the time/hassle of emptying the cooler and dealing with wet food
-lift gate and under hood lights
-AAA-it’s a 25-yr old vehicle and with the amount of miles you’ll be traveling it’s probably worth the piece of mind of being able to at least get to the next town without having to carry enough tools and supplies to be totally self-sufficient and prepared for every contingency.

I am not sure about the best tent setup in warmer climes. Would also like to hear ideas how to stay comfortable but not too hot, and best way to deal with bugs and rainstorms. I’ve been spoiled camping in Colorado because it’s usually dry and cool at night.

Last edited:
I am not sure about the best tent setup in warmer climes. Would also like to hear ideas how to stay comfortable but not too hot, and best way to deal with bugs and rainstorms. I’ve been spoiled camping in Colorado because it’s usually dry and cool at night.
Being a daily-100%-humidity southeastern transplant, there is no salvation from humidity in the out-of-doors (except moving to dryer climes - hellohowyaderin?)
In a RTT, ambient air flow reduces temps while maintaining, or my gf claims increases, humidity.
Screens - and pesticide if you're that bad off - deal with the bugs.
South GA is great place to 'know a guy' for the 'good stuff'.

Barring further research that might change my mind, I am leaning toward the full size Maggiolina or comparable along with one of those awnings w/walls for quick camp setup. I really like being able to stand up in the "tent" and not having to crawl around while changing clothes when I am
"camping" for an extended time. Normally I argue against the sort of stuff that makes your rig part of the camp. I like to be able to take off nd come back to an already pitched camp if I plan to return to that same spot, or if I am making multiple trips out from a base came. But in the situation(s) I am envisioning I think the ease of a quick setup overrules that. Open for change of mind still though.

I am leaning toward 285s or 305s for tire size. Part of that is just habit. Up here large tires are so important off road that my perceptions and expectations have probably become skewed over the years. And we will be doing as much back and (lower '48) off road as we can during our wandering.

Years ago I made it a point of taking back roads on one of my runs between Oklahoma City and Anchorage. I managed to cover about a third of the distance on dirt if IIRC. Maybe more? I found myself following county roads that cut through farmers barnyards a couple of times. Legit roads, they just looked up and waved. Found some really cool forgotten historical makers in the most unexpected places and passed through some great little towns and shared stories in a handful of little local lunch grills.

I wandered into some sort of... maybe a mining operation or processing plant in the middle of the night after making a wrong turn. In the high desert in... Wyoming maybe? The gate was manned by guys in black uniforms with no markings. The M16s in their hands got my attention more as they told me "no you can not turn around here, back up to "there" (pointing) and go back the way you came and do not stop for the next 5 minutes".

Anyway, the point of that ramble is that while I KNOW that most of my mileage will be on pavement, I also know that I will see enough non-pavement that I don't want to lean to far toward streetablity. But I also know that I will be running more a a street/highway tread than I ever have before on any of my personal '80s. and I know that the tiny increase in size from 275 to 285 is meaningless. And I now that I will not be seeing the kind of mud when offroad that is always a consideration around here. Or, in any case it will be a minor seldom encountered thing. The good old Wranglers are high on the consideration list, for the reasons mentioned as well as common availability if replacement is needed.

I do feel (can't quantify this right at the moment) that in a gently driven '80 the increase in rolling diameter from a slight step up in tire size can actually help fuel mileage. Of course heavily loaded and spending time in the hills and mountains will negate that too.

We are used to carrying 5 gallon containers of water when our offroad trips take us out of the high country and into the lowlands.. And water filters and similar gear are always in every day pack and glove box. I may hang a water can or two on the rear bumper along with the spare and the bike rack since I will not need to carry extra fuel there. I wonder if I can buy Coke and Monster in 5 gallon containers. ;)

Warm season camping does not normally call for much in the way of headlamps and flashlights here. But later/earlier in the year those are a constant companion. I have lights stashed in secondary rigs that I forget I even have until I open the glovebox and find a trove of photons waiting to be released. :)

Permanently fixed LED light strings seem like a good idea in the RTT and where ever else they may prove to be helpful (under hood and liftgate and inside of awning/tent). Dual batteries are a given for the rig with fridge and any sort of camping lighting. As well as the peace of mind for starting in remote spots. and yes I have and use the lithium "jumper boxes too.

I had not even thought about the temperature/ventilation concerns in a tent in warmer and more humid climes. Maybe a fan powered off the second battery would be a good idea? Seems like it would be.

I had not thought about AAA. I do know, from experience with customers needing rigs towed in from a bit further afield, that all towing services are NOT equal and that you need to look at all the fine print. From my contacts in the towing industry I know that they get paid very differently from some services and will often simply pass on a tow job as it will cost them too much to just "eat the difference".
But a decent towing plan might not be a bad idea.

I do expect to be traveling a bit tool heavier than most and will make a careful evaluation of what parts are going to be replaced with new beforehand and what spares will be packed away and carried. Not to mention staying aware of what sort of resources I have in different regions/areas to reach out to if need be. Mechanical problems are not high on the list of complication I expect. Especially with the ability to address any looming issues each year before or after starting out. But it IS always the problems you don't expect that become "issues".

We are not going to be tackling "challenge trails" but I expect that we will see stuff as we wander, play and push into remote trailheads for hiking and such that will be more than a more pedestrian road trip might serve up.

The rig will have some sort of full time OBII connection/readout going at all times/realtime. I am a fan of obsessing over engine information. I doubt that I will bother with a satphone for this sort of trip, but the Inreach will be on full time for any contact when we are off grid and so that or location is always available to those we choose to let track us.

I will be building a covert and relatively secure storage box into the tailgate. it will not keep a knowledgeable and determined thief out, but it should withstand the casual tweaker who might ransack the rig and will keep 99% of thieves from even knowing it is there.

If anyone is interested, toss out any thoughts you have, no matter how minor. You never can tell what seemingly minor comment might trigger a revelation. :)

Mark...

How many people? Will they always all be there? Will gear be left always on the vehicle? Will some gear be rented?

I would just keep it stock plus some versatile storage. So a flat rack, and a hardshell RTT, prefferelably one that supports weight up top, for kayaks/bikes/Canoe. Depending if you need the third row or not, a basic sleep platform with room for storage underneath would be perfect and light. Slide some bags or soft boxes under there and you can leave it ready to rock with lots of gear. I would leave a backpacker tent or two in there. Always as a backup. Something could damage the RTT or you may need to get a rental for a week or two while the old Toyota gets some service on the road. Having a portable setup would allow you to rent a 4x4 pickup or SUV and still do some exploring/camping with your gear.

Here is a shot of my 80
OI000353-01.jpeg

I had a RTT on it before, the clamshell style. I liked that, but you get filthy when you climb up to take off the cover. It is fast, but not as fast as a hardshell. A couple years ago I had it all ready to go to Pismo for Turf and Surf, when it started blowing smoke a week before the trip. The dreaded HG failure, soooo luckily I have a friend who lent me one of his spare 80's on 37s for the trip. Sooo after the Amazon Santa showed up a couple days later I had a Gazelle ground tent. Everything else I kept in bags/backpacks or soft boxes[frontrunner]. So I grabbed the frontrunner soft boxes from the back of it, stuffed those in the bigger 80, threw my gazelle and camping backpacks in there and BAM, ready to [insert camping/exploring label here]

After that trip I got the engine fixed on my 80 and started reconsidering having all the big heavy permanent stuff on it. I started slimming it down, sort of..

Then I got my Africa Twin

20210802_233818-01.jpeg

And started Motocamping a bit. It really makes you keep it light. I am by no means a seasoned camper, and have never been into backpacking. For my day job I am a trucker. I guess I have that wanderlust, but lately I have been getting compact gear because of the motocamping. After the episode with my headgasket, I figured I can always rent/borrow/buy a vehicle if I need it for a trip and have all the gear to have shelter, clean water and cook.

One added benefit of going this route is that you wont have that "Overlander" look on your vehicle. Theft is a real problem and prying eyes are attracted to those rigs with all those bells and whistles on them. I still like the idea of a RTT but I always carry a ground tent in my 80, just incase something happens. I seen someones hard shell RTT come off in deathvalley once. Could happen to any equipment.

I hope you get it all figured out. There are some long term ih8mud campers too, @Dirtsunrise on youtube or insta are a good source of info. Then have been full timing it in their 80 for a few years, recently they got a Maltec camper converted 80, but they would probably have some good tips on things to look out for and space saving tips.

It will just be the two of us. Although there might be times when we would pick up grandkids for a few days for some camping when we are in their parts of the country. But two people. No third seats. We are plenty geared up so nothing will ever need to be rented. We backpack a lot and have figured out how to use pack for truckpacking or backpacking and how to blend it all. When you take a backpackers approach and can carry land cruiser weight and volume... you can be pretty well equipped for a long time. :) There will always be a ground tent on hand. Some gear will always be left in the rig when we are out hiking. the rig will be stored completely geared up when we are not using it.

The rig will never be left anywhere to be repaired. Any repairs, I will do myself. Not to say it might not be deadlined awaiting parts or logistical arrangements for the repairs.

With the things that I consider a requirement for the rig (ARB w/winch, rear bumper and rack/tent) it will be hard to blend in completely in most places. But I really hate the whole overly geared and stickered "Overlander" bit and will not be taking that approach at all. Probably gonna make some velcro secured coverings for the inside of the windows and use one of those windshield sunblockers to keep eyes out of the rig when we are not in it (or use some of them for privacy if we wind up sleeping int he rig itself). In some ways that will just encourage curiosity as to what might be in there to steal though. But better than letting the eyes in I guess.

I have been pondering bikes/kayaks on top of a hardshell RTT. Not sure about ease of access, though it would be nice to not have them on the back of the rig. But I also wonder about the moment of inertia that high up on the rig over rough roads, or if we are wanting to get down treed trails. I have plety of time to ponder... and can always change it up if it does not work. :)

I just tow a offroad pop up camper. I set up camp in the area I want to explore, then use the cruiser to explore. It has a water tank, fridge, toilet, shower, solar, etc. It's a older model so it needed some repairs. But it was cheap and is pretty nice.

How large a trailer do you tow?

Mark...

20210508_205723.jpg

Here is my trailer mostly opened up. I think the camper part folded up is a bit over 10 feet. They make popups in all kinds of different sizes. Some are really small, some are huge. You can modify them quite a bit. The atv deck on the front limits my offroad ability significantly because of the added length and extra frame thickness to support a atv. I use it for firewood. It was such a good deal it would have been dumb to pass on it. I could lift it a bunch and put 37s on it. Or I could just sell it, make money on it and get one without the atv deck. Currently in the situation Im in it is fine for me. You can also get a standard popup and modify the suspension easily and make it a offroad popup. Since it folds up it doesn't affect fuel mileage as much as a standard camper.

Last edited:
A camper isn't a bad idea but there are downsides to them too. I have a small pop up camper that we use quite a bit. My wife and I did a 4 week trip a few years back where we changed camp almost daily. Setup is pretty fast - take down in the morning is a bit slower when you time from wake up/breakfast to packed and ready to go - about 1 hour. Changing locations each day was a bit of a chore and tiresome. Finding a campsite is also harder with the trailer and so is turning around on dead end roads. Even just parking or driving in a city is more of a challenge. Another thing to consider is that your kitchen tends to be in the trailer so planning for when you are making meals is a consideration as you don't typically pop up the trailer just to have lunch, or you may be away from the trailer for dinner taking photographs or fishing - there are work arounds but it is something to consider. Gas mileage isn't too affected but stopping distance is. If you see some thing you suddenly want to stop for it is a lot harder to do than without the trailer. Also dirt road in a tent trailer are less fun and will limit which roads you chose to take and how long it takes to drive them.

We just did another 4 week road trip - this time with kids and chose to stay in each campsite for several days at minimum and up to 10 days in one spot. On driving days we stayed in hotels and it was a much more relaxed trip that way. The extra space of a tent trailer with a kitchen is nice and being able to use a heater in the cold mornings/nights is nice too. If it was just my wife and I, it would boil down to how often we were changing campsites and what type of roads we are taking. Most dirt roads in the lower 48 are fine but there are some camping places that we enjoy that we can't take the trailer to but the 80 gets there fine without lockers. The tent trailer is more comfy but can be cumbersome, the 80 alone is a little tighter/less comfortable but allows for more flexibility in where to camp, when and how often you stop and which road you chose to take. Just food for thought.

I know its not an 80, I have an 80 and love it.... but I love this thing way more for the kind of travel you are describing. BLM roads, forest service roads, some offroading but nothing crazy, lots of time on paved roads, etc.. If I were strictly offroading and needed the capability I'd take my 80 with the hardshell RTT.

It's an absolute game changer for bad weather and staying comfortable. I also get between 12-16mpg fully loaded, with a range of 350+ miles (7.3L diesel).

Picked it up in April 2021 and have stayed 35 nights in it this summer. We've also covered about 7000miles.

1632938731221.png

I know its not an 80, I have an 80 and love it.... but I love this thing way more for the kind of travel you are describing. BLM roads, forest service roads, some offroading but nothing crazy, lots of time on paved roads, etc.. If I were strictly offroading and needed the capability I'd take my 80 with the hardshell RTT.

It's an absolute game changer for bad weather and staying comfortable. I also get between 12-16mpg fully loaded, with a range of 350+ miles (7.3L diesel).

Picked it up in April 2021 and have stayed 35 nights in it this summer. We've also covered about 7000miles.

View attachment 2799162

I am afraid the GF would disown me and trade me in for a newer model if I suggested that we could get a 1 ton crew cab w/camper to the trailheads and camp spots she wants to be starting from. My description of our off road travels may have been distorted by my frame of reference. I did not make a big deal about "bad ass trails" or any of that crap, but if the rig is not suitable for places like Black Bear Pass or Hell's Revenge (possibly over the Rubicon w/bypasses) then is won't be suitable for our wanderings. We will of course be spending a lot more time on improved roads. But not all of our time. :)

The same considerations seem to make a trailer, which might not be able to handle any trails/rougher roads we might take, a problem too. Having to leave it and circle back for it a few days later would be a non-starter.
Not to mention asking her to drive an "oversize" rig through the streets of any of those previously mentioned "eastern megapolises"... or parallel park it! (Again, the same concerns come into play with any trailer too.) :(

..."Lots of highway mile obviously, but because of our preferred recreational pursuits and interests I am sure we will be taking the '80 everywhere that does not require a dedicated "offroad" rig. In other words, we will not be challenging the Hammers but we will be visiting the trails of Moab and the like. Ranch and BLM roads out west along with the fire roads of the eastern mountains, wide open interstate highways of the west and the city streets of the eastern megapolises."...

I *did* look with interest at the build thread here on the LX450 combined with a Chinook. I'd do it differently, but it is an intriguing idea. I have a couple of '80s on hand that have rear body damage. And there are a couple of Chinooks for sale locally too. Probably not gonna be able to make anything like that really "Rubicon suitable", but short of that... 🤔

Mark...

Have you considered a campteq top? They are more readily available now that he is making the full time and having a pop top roof could be handy and is capable of carrying a kayak on top. @SOAZtim and his wife did a long trip from the US through south america with a campteq 80. He would have some insight on it's pro's and cons which I think he covered on youtube (dirt sunrise). You could check it out and at least get an idea of what it could look like for you if you went that route.

Have you considered a campteq top? They are more readily available now that he is making the full time and having a pop top roof could be handy and is capable of carrying a kayak on top.
I have in fact looked at those along with a lot of other roof top setups. Everything from Expensive Italian Stuff to Cheap Chinese Crap... ;)

I am liking the larger size of some of the soft tents. But I have to wonder how they would stand up to high winds. We have enjoyed being snuggled down in the sleeping bags in good tents while sitting out a few kick ass thunderstorms. The kind where it seems like someone has turned a hose on the tent and the whole thing would probably rip loose and fly away if it were not for your weight inside it. The better quality hard shells seem like thy would probably stand up to that. Not so sure about ANY of the soft tents. For that matter I have to wonder just how effective awnings that pass for "rain flys" would be in any real rain. Nothing wrong with catching a hotel room here and there, but it would suck to be chased out of the back country by a few days of rain. :(

I don't think I have ever read/heard that discussion when roof top tents are compared. The assumption seems to be that you will only camp on pretty days?

Mark...

Yeah, that is my fear with roof top tents too. My wife was camping in Death Valley in the land cruiser and had some rough weather and strong winds. She was just sleeping in the back as she was on a solo trip but on her last night she was at a spot where other people were camping as well. Several had RTT and had to pull them down in the night and leave. I think they were soft sided tents but don't know. She did fine in the LC but could feel the car rocking in the wind.

We have camped in tents with some pretty rough weather and been fine once we were able to find ways to keep the tent pegs from getting pulled out by the wind. I doubt any RTT would have held up well to that but maybe a hardshell facing the correct direction would have. Part of me thinks the best option is a good ground tent that is easy to set up and take down, a good awning for rain cover and shade and some good rain gear/cold weather gear for the rough weather. It is versatile, keeps the land cruiser with lower center of gravity and is lighter. You could still have a kitchen set up in the back of the LC for convenience and speed of meal prep.

That said, you could (and sounds like you were planning to anyway) bring a ground tent and use it when or if the RTT can't take the weather. That would add a little bulk/gear but is good to have a back up if needed. It is always a little more challenging to plan for a trip that is so varied in location, weather and activity. Sounds like it will be a great trip though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom