Exhaust leak help (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So on my 82 fj60 I’m getting a exhaust smell in the front of the cab, seems as though is coming through the vents when the heater is on fresh air but when I switch it to recirculating it’s not as bad. So now when the front windows are down it’s almost unbearable. I’ve checked the exhaust and there doesn’t seem to be any leaks. Also my fj is partially desmogged I guess you could say, the previous owner removed the air pump and the hoses that go to the air cleaner and fuel rail. Any help is much appreciated

Obviously the exhaust should only be spewing out the exhaust pipe exit in the rear.
The fresh air source for the cabin fan is the air coming in from the cowl vents on the rear of the hood. Inside the engine compartment, there should be metal caps blocking off the access holes into the cowl area.
If you’ve got a leaky exhaust (gasket needs replacement somewhere) that stinky stuff will end up in the engine compartment and get blown out every crack by the radiator fan. It could be finding it’s way into the cowl area that way.

Exhaust leaks can usually be heard. A pffft pffft pffft as the engine is running.

Obviously the exhaust should only be spewing out the exhaust pipe exit in the rear.
The fresh air source for the cabin fan is the air coming in from the cowl vents on the rear of the hood. Inside the engine compartment, there should be metal caps blocking off the access holes into the cowl area.
If you’ve got a leaky exhaust (gasket needs replacement somewhere) that stinky stuff will end up in the engine compartment and get blown out every crack by the radiator fan. It could be finding it’s way into the cowl area that way.

Exhaust leaks can usually be heard. A pffft pffft pffft as the engine is running.
Thanks for the response, I suppose the next course of action would be to change the doughnut gasket and exhaust manifold gasket? Or Is it a possibility of it being something to do with the smog system?

Maybe it’s really a result of oil on the manifold burning off?
My father in law said today while we were driving it smells to him like a fuel smell, so we pulled over and checked the evaporator In the rear and there seemed to be no signs of damage/cracked hoses but as far as oil burning, it’s a possibility. I recently changed the valve cover gasket not to long ago because of an oil leak, haven’t seen anything to indicate leaking recently but doesn’t mean it’s not.

Do you get pressure built up in the fuel tank, a whoosh when you take the cap off? If so, there could be an issue with the outer vent control valve or the VCV causing the charcoal canister to vent externally causing a fuel smell.

Do you get pressure built up in the fuel tank, a whoosh when you take the cap off? If so, there could be an issue with the outer vent control valve or the VCV causing the charcoal canister to vent externally causing a fuel smell.
Yes I do! I’ve never thought about that, thank you

generally an exhaust leak will leave tell tale signs of black streaks at the leak/joint

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom