76 FJ40 Windshield Install Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thanks to all who helped me get windshield and get it installed.

I have one question on the outcome. The windshield gasket (OEM, new) does not fit deep into the frame so it is flush with front of windshield frame. Is it supposed to? I do not see anything wrong with the install and it does not seem to want to push in the metal frame any further. Thoughts?

It should work back in, but there's a couple rows of those sealing lips that grab a bit....I lathered mine up (frame + gasket) with dishsoap when I did mine so it would slide a bit better. I did use a CityRacer gasket, but both should sit flush with the frame.

Hopefully you can get it to work inward without having to pull it back out.

Here are some pictures of mine. I really don’t care for the gap between the cover and windshield gasket. Looks like a great place for water to get to the wiper motor?

4BE86217-FB5F-4613-8D9F-FF92FC0F8717.jpeg

8A28ADD2-1B06-4650-AEF0-723F0985181B.jpeg

Might be - it's one or the other....the bottom does have a pretty small lip, so that might be it.

CityRacer has a few photos as well:

Thanks to all who helped me get windshield and get it installed.

I have one question on the outcome. The windshield gasket (OEM, new) does not fit deep into the frame so it is flush with front of windshield frame. Is it supposed to? I do not see anything wrong with the install and it does not seem to want to push in the metal frame any further. Thoughts?
Your install looks great. You are good to go!

Ah - I misread a bit on the original post...I was thinking something different to what you actually meant @FJ40OliveRide .

The gasket does sit proud of the metal, so that wiper motor cover is indeed an odd fit. Not sure why they designed it that way, other than it being a bit of an afterthought/retrofit when they moved the wipers. The cover should snug down a bit more, though, to close those gaps.

1633824281527.jpeg

I'm curious as to why the purple color? It does look like it needs to go toward frame, get some soapy water in there, then some <cautious> heat. Wait, St. Louis might have enough heat on it's own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom