Jet Boil Genesis Stove Kit- Anyone Own One? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Josey1972

SILVER Star
Threads
In my quest to scrunch down my storage area moving from my 80 to my 40 for road tripping I found the Jet Boil Genesis dual burner stove and pan kit in a small package. For my entire life I have been a white gas/Coleman or MSR Whisperlite guy. This would require a life change to propane. Wondering if anyone owns one and thinks its worth the $400.00.

I’ve had one for a few years. It’s an efficient design from a space perspective. The Skillet, pot, lid, and stove nest well together. The burner output is impressive and the controls are precise. The upper pocket accommodates cooking utensils such as the reasonably priced folding MSR stuff. Everything is well done. I think it comes down to a matter of your storage preference. Consider the cylindrical shade/dimensions and whether that’s the best use of space for your setup. I recall @wfd175 finding an option with similar performance but less cost and designed to store in a flat/rectangular configuration.

I’ve had one for a few years. It’s an efficient design from a space perspective. The Skillet, pot, lid, and stove nest well together. The burner output is impressive and the controls are precise. The upper pocket accommodates cooking utensils such as the reasonably priced folding MSR stuff. Everything is well done. I think it comes down to a matter of your storage preference. Consider the cylindrical shade/dimensions and whether that’s the best use of space for your setup. I recall @wfd175 finding an option with similar performance but less cost and designed to store in a flat/rectangular configuration.
Thanks for the response. I stopped by REI the other day (thats about the only option in Indy) to see if they had one in stock. No dice. It occurred to me that since I am most often alone or at least cooking alone, that maybe its not the best option. The big pot and infrequency of actually needing 2 burners... Since the 40 will have a soft top Ive planned for the best security I can under the circumstances putting the stove in harms way so to speak. So, I dont know. Maybe just sticking with the dual Whisperlites is the way to go.

I have the stove only, not the full kit, but have been impressed. I picked mine up as a used item at REI, it had been returned saying the regulator wasn't letting the propane through. A couple minutes to rebuild the regulator (spring had become unseated jamming it closed) with a SAE socket (3/8" if I'm remembering right) and it fired right up. I have used it on several trips now with my camper van and it has worked well every time.

I have been tempted to get the pot to go with it for better efficiency, but that is hard to justify when my old pot kit is going strong.

If the two burner is too big, Jetboil does make the single burner Halfgen stove...which is half of the Genesis. Looks like those are even in stock direct from Jetboil: https://jetboil.johnsonoutdoors.com/stoves-systems/halfgen

Eureka and Jetboil are made by the same company. Johnson Outdoors . I know based on the performance of my last stove and after cooking on the Moj’s Jetboil Genesis, I wanted at least 10k btu’s, so
I went with the Eureka Ignite Plus. Both the Jetboil Genesis and Eureka Ignite have 10k burners that look almost identical. Both can use the jet link system. The Genesis does pack up Nicely with the pots and all. But the Ignite will accommodate 2 -12” cast iron pans, and has leveling feet. I also bought the Fluxpot and lid which also fits a 12” cast iron nicely.

The Ignite is definitely more vulnerable to damage from things shifting around. The knobs and ignite stick out the front.
But it survived a trip this August out west with semi sober packing. So I think with some more organization I’ll be able to find a spot in the back where I can simply stick it and move on down the trail.

Last edited:
The one thing that sold me on my Jetboil is the temp. control. The old Colemans are a pain to simmer, but not the Jetboil and rapid boiling. A lot of cash when you can pick up a Coleman for ten bucks at any flea market. 🤷‍♂️

The one thing that sold me on my Jetboil is the temp. control. The old Colemans are a pain to simmer, but not the Jetboil and rapid boiling. A lot of cash when you can pick up a Coleman for ten bucks at any flea market. 🤷‍♂️
The Eureka has the same controls as the Jetboil. It take numerous turns to go full blast and simmer control is equally as good. Both are excellent prices of equipment if you like to chef it up a bit in the outdoors.

I have 2 MSR pocket rockets and one MSR whisperlite. Use the 2 pocket rockets all the time, everything (but fuel) fits in the 2L pot. If you go down that road be sure to get the canister stand.

In my quest to scrunch down my storage area moving from my 80 to my 40 for road tripping I found the Jet Boil Genesis dual burner stove and pan kit in a small package. For my entire life I have been a white gas/Coleman or MSR Whisperlite guy. This would require a life change to propane. Wondering if anyone owns one and thinks its worth the $400.00.
I have no regrets transitioning from white gas/Coleman to a propane stove. I went with a Eureka Ignite which was mentioned by @wfd175 in post #5. I had the same concerns about being damaged because of the front knobs, so I transported it inside the shipping box until I remodeled the galley in my trailer to accomodate it. It's considerably cheaper (about 1/4th the price) than the Jet Boil kit you mention as you can see on the REI website page. The cooking advantages are just so much better with this stove, compared to the old Colemans that I used previously. There'll come a time that you'll appreciate having 2 burners and the more precise temperature control makes you a better cook. You might find some helpful ideas in my thread on this stove.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom