FJ62 Interior Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey LC FAM! My 88 FJ62 restoration is coming along nicely. After a bumper to bumper mechanical rehab, I have moved on to returning the interior to its original glory. I have completely stripped the interior out at this point with the exception of the ventilation system. I have collected ALL of the missing OEM interior parts which was a long list. I'm now in the process of refurbishing all of the interior parts to OEM condition. I have a few questions only the IH8 crew will know best.

For reference my 88 is Blue with the brown interior. Or so I thought. After taking the interior apart, I found that the rig originally came with the grey interior. One of the previous owners, went to a lot of trouble to change it over to brown. They did a pretty good job but missed a few details. I really like the brown interior, so I'm going to stick and take the color change all the way.

My questions are these.

1) Does anyone know if the dark brown color has a paint code, if so, what? This would be the color of most of the interior trim components, and the steel dash frame. I can try to match it and can probably get extremely close, but a paint code would be much easier because there are at least three sheens to the interior. 1) gloss for the the hard plastic bits like lock and window switches, Semi gloss for the others parts like the dash frame, and a matte for the some larger molded plastic parts like the kick plates, and steering wheel. **** the matte is probably a satin actually.

2) Like a lot of 60 and 62's, I have a plastic cap covering the original dash pad. The original dash pad was foam covered in vinyl. I'm not unhappy with the aftermarket cap, it makes the dash look great. My problem is that the foam that used to be trapped between the pressed steel frame and vinyl+ plastic cap top layer is breaking down and turning to a strange reddish brown dust. The dust is NOT trapped, and has covered the interior of every dash components, and will regularly make its way down to the floor boards and into the ventilation system. This is the reason I took the dash apart in the first place, to clean all this crap out. Putting the dashboard back in without a remedy will only yield the same result I fear. Any suggestions? Eliminating the original foam layer is the right way to go, but I'd have to tear the three layer dash board apart, strip the foam out, and then have to find a way to reassemble it without making it look like hell. I suppose upholstery shops may see this from time to time and have a solution? Any suggestions??? I attached a few picture of the very evil foam dust.

3) Lastly, with the dash disassembled, a buddy with an FJ60 suggested I rehab the heater core despite the fact I have not had problems with it. Great suggestion, as I don't want to take the dash apart ever again. Along this line of thinking, any other similar suggestions? Components to inspect, rehab, alter while the dash is out?

Thanks All.

1633600305359.jpeg

1633600345874.jpeg

1633600370449.jpeg

1633600429991.jpeg

I would completely remove all the HVAC components/boxes, and clean and re-foam everything. I did mine, and it was time consuming and a bit tedious to re-apply all the foam to the different flaps, but it sure beats all the crumbling foam that was there.

You can also replace your AC evaporator and pressure switch too. Easy, to access now and relatively inexpensive.

Lastly, I would remove the wiring harness ground straps at each A pillar and make sure the contact surfaces are all clean and re-install.

Some would say sound insulation too, but the factory sound pad seems pretty good to me.

Gray FJ62 dash pads can be had from Partsouq and on eBay. Brown are very NLA.

Could you remove your dash again and caulk all around the lower edge of the cap to keep the foam dust from migrating out? You'd be sealing it all up.

partsouq.com....I buy from here often. Just check shipping as it can be a deal killer. Otherwise they have lower prices than US stealerships. and often can get it to me in a few days. Use there log in, enter your vin # and then you will be set up with a virtual "garage" where you can pull up your specific vehicle and drill down on many parts schematics and check their parts availability. I find it much less frustrating that going thru my worthless dealership. They don't speak Land Cruiser, seem mystified when I ask them about a part, Don't call me back when the part arrives...on and on.

Another caveat ....make sure you know what you're ordering. I can't image how hard it would be to return ship anything to them. If you need someone to hold your hand through the buying process prob best to go elsewhere as there is no human contact in this shopping.

Gray FJ62 dash pads can be had from Partsouq and on eBay. Brown are very NLA.

Could you remove your dash again and caulk all around the lower edge of the cap to keep the foam dust from migrating out? You'd be sealing it all up.
sealing the edges of the cap is what I was thinking too. May give it a try. Thanks!!

partsouq.com....I buy from here often. Just check shipping as it can be a deal killer. Otherwise they have lower prices than US stealerships. and often can get it to me in a few days. Use there log in, enter your vin # and then you will be set up with a virtual "garage" where you can pull up your specific vehicle and drill down on many parts schematics and check their parts availability. I find it much less frustrating that going thru my worthless dealership. They don't speak Land Cruiser, seem mystified when I ask them about a part, Don't call me back when the part arrives...on and on.

Another caveat ....make sure you know what you're ordering. I can't image how hard it would be to return ship anything to them. If you need someone to hold your hand through the buying process prob best to go elsewhere as there is no human contact in this shopping.
Megazip.net is a similar sight. I have ordered several new OEM parts for this 88 from megazip. I found parts that were not available anywhere else I looked. The product ships from either their UK or Japan warehouse. Leadtime and shipping cost was very reasonable.

I believe OEM 62 dash pads are still available. Why not just remove and replace it?
Seems the brown color isn't available. even so, for the $ $600-700 cost of a new one, I prefer to rehab the one I have. I found an upholstery shop that asked me to bring it in for a look. I think they can strip it down, layer on new foam, and cover the correct color vinyl with an additional UV protectant. we'll see!!

I would completely remove all the HVAC components/boxes, and clean and re-foam everything. I did mine, and it was time consuming and a bit tedious to re-apply all the foam to the different flaps, but it sure beats all the crumbling foam that was there.

You can also replace your AC evaporator and pressure switch too. Easy, to access now and relatively inexpensive.

Lastly, I would remove the wiring harness ground straps at each A pillar and make sure the contact surfaces are all clean and re-install.

Some would say sound insulation too, but the factory sound pad seems pretty good to me.
Any insights on the foam? What product did you buy/installation etc.

There is a good thread here detailing some of the work involved. I bought the foam on eBay, but can't find it now. I'll keep looking. To glue the foam, I used a spray adhesive after cleaning all the old foam off. Some of the flaps only have foam on portions of them so you may need to mark the flap before removing all the old stuff.

Here are a few pictures of when I did mine.

IMG_20180407_142338.jpg

IMG_20180421_171510.jpg

IMG_20180530_172907.jpg

IMG_20180530_180318.jpg

There is a good thread here detailing some of the work involved. I bought the foam on eBay, but can't find it now. I'll keep looking. To glue the foam, I used a spray adhesive after cleaning all the old foam off. Some of the flaps only have foam on portions of them so you may need to mark the flap before removing all the old stuff.

Here are a few pictures of when I did mine.

View attachment 2807945

View attachment 2807946

View attachment 2807947

View attachment 2807948

"Just Dashes" does dash refurbishing. They do good work but are expensive. And you'll be responsible for shipping both ways.

"Just Dashes" does dash refurbishing. They do good work but are expensive. And you'll be responsible for shipping both ways.
I checked out "Just Dashes" website. I plan to contact them next week to see what they charge. Even more interesting, turns out they aren't just dashes, they also restore chromed plastic parts. Too great! The side view mirrors on my 62 need to be refinished. They were stripped down and painted black at some point. Hopefully the cost is reasonable. A new set of the auto mirrors are $$$$$$$. I'll report back what I find out.

Side note, Just Dashes has a lot of clips of their process on YouTube.

Pretty sure a new OEM dash will be much cheaper than “Just Dash’s”. It’s been 15+ years but looked into them in-depth on an old Corvette I was doing and it was well over a grand. Their work is beautiful but one thing to look for is fitment issues with AC vents, gauge clusters etc. Their finished product won’t necessarily have the same thickness as an OEM dash causing the ID to be off impacting how your ancillary parts fit within these areas. AC vents mount from the rear, so you’d probably be ok there, but the gauge cluster could be a challenge. Other members have bought the gray and used the SEM products to convert it to the brown.

Agreed, I had Just Dashes redo my 70 Torino dash. It was perfect but about a $1000 after shipping across country both ways. I'd guess it will be about the same as a new OEM dash.
Can you throw some photos of it up here? Curious to see what it looks like. I’m between a dash cap to cover the cracks or having a local upholstery shop wrap it in leather.

I didn't take any before or after pics of the upper dash. They did a great job and even sent some stain/color in a bottle if even fades. I used a pvc/plastic cap on my galaxie and while it looks good at a distance the fit wasn't exactly right esp around the instrument cluster. The other big difference is the feel. It's rock hard and has no give...but really who's going to push there thumb into your dash pad to see if it has give? I got over that quickly.

Tackling the teardown of the ventilation system this weekend. It’s turned out to be a big job with all that has to come out to gain access to the primary ventilation system components. Very glad I’m doing this. The more I take apart, the more foam dust I find. It seems the primary source of this foam dust my not be the dash pad, it may be the foam parts inside the system…likely a combination of both. I attached a few pictures of the teardown

516DBBD5-1F06-49FA-91C9-475A52C0B48C.jpeg

2E19372A-4998-4F3A-AF87-1F209DC5CB0D.jpeg

30A057E9-CEFE-46FD-BA46-42A0037F0292.jpeg

25772B9B-DCA2-4DB0-929B-0D074365B517.jpeg

6ACB285F-BADE-4951-9179-6747A8B2D416.jpeg

Now that I have a lot more access to the OEM firewall heat/sound pad, It’s looking like a replacement is in order. The insulation layer is falling apart. Anyone know a source for these Firewall pads?

About your dash...here is a link that describes what I did to paint a new OEM gray dash brown (pages 2 & 3 of thread). You can get it for $510 with free shipping (Coupon code: FREESHIP ) from Parts at Passport Toyota.com: SEM Paint and supplies will cost you another $60 and 6-8 hrs labor.
How to Change FJ62 Dash Color

If you do have access to a reasonably-priced and gifted upholsterer you might be able to get something close to OEM for the same price.

I contacted Just Dashes and the cost was closer to $1200 (not including shipping).

For sound deadening, I bought two 36 ft2 boxes of the Noico 80 mm butyl and topped it with the 157 mm Siles closed-cell foam (another two boxes). There was enough of the Noico left over to do the inside of the doors, but not the rear quarters. Along with new door seals that will make a big difference.

Eventually you'll want to buy my stickers made for the 1988 FJ62 for $65: For Sale 60 Series (FJ62) Decals/Stickers - Interior and Engine Bay

And...if you haven't already done so, buy the two bushings for you transmission shifter handle and a new bulb while you are in there. Only a couple of bucks.

Finally, to answer your question I only know that the best match for the dash color is SEM Cordovan Brown. The other shades of brown are a mystery, but I can tell you for sure it isn't the same brown currently on your E-brake shifter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom