Advice on getting a FJ55 from Canada to Alabama (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I can snow anytime up high now, most likely it'll start Sunday eve or Monday, not much at all in the valley's yet.

If you need a place to park it for a short time, I'm just a few hours south of the border, down I-15, and it can wait here if it was going to be transported.

I can snow anytime up high now, most likely it'll start Sunday eve or Monday, not much at all in the valley's yet.

If you need a place to park it for a short time, I'm just a few hours south of the border, down I-15, and it can wait here if it was going to be transported.
Hey, I might just take you up on that! It unfortunately still wouldn’t solve the issue of a car hauler wanting $3k to get it from Butte or Bozeman down to Alabama. Oddly enough the transport rep did mention bringing it through the Sunburst crossing, which I see is on I-15.

How far from Browning are you? I’ve been there once. Fun time.

Thanks!

Browning is about 3.5 hrs mostly 2 lane roads.
the crossing on I-15 is Sweet Grass on the US side
there is a town of Sunburst west of Great Falls

just 2 years ago transport would have been under $1,000.

Snow arrives next week thats classic like we have a set day out west here that winter just starts. Temps are well above freezing for next coupleweeks i wouldnt stress that part. It was 90deg out here yesterday also.

i sold my 45 to a guy in florida and all it needed was a bill of sale the shipper took when he picked it up.

Snow arrives next week thats classic like we have a set day out west here that winter just starts. Temps are well above freezing for next coupleweeks i wouldnt stress that part. It was 90deg out here yesterday also.

i sold my 45 to a guy in florida and all it needed was a bill of sale the shipper took when he picked it up.
Safe to assume you’re north of the border as well? Was it one sole shipper who took it all the way from you to the buyer in Florida? If so, that seems simple enough.

Yes im North of the border a few hours south of the 55 ive seen it for sale also. It was one shipper i believe that took it across and assuming he went all the way he had a few other cars on his trailer when he picked my 45 up. The buyer just had to speak to his local insurance place provide them with bill of sale to get a local registration or something it was pretty simple from what he was telling me. All depends on state requirements so id start with that before getting too excited.

Yes im North of the border a few hours south of the 55 ive seen it for sale also. It was one shipper i believe that took it across and assuming he went all the way he had a few other cars on his trailer when he picked my 45 up. The buyer just had to speak to his local insurance place provide them with bill of sale to get a local registration or something it was pretty simple from what he was telling me. All depends on state requirements so id start with that before getting too excited.

Remember years ago, nineties maybe even the eighties a friend told me about someone who had taken a 40 across the border from Canada all the way to Arizona. He then tried to get it titled in Arizona only to be told he needed the customs paper work from where it crossed the border. Without it at the time the was not allowed to be titled or registered for the road. This was a long time ago and things may have changed. Alabama is a long ways from the Canadian border in Montana. I would check with local motor vehicles in Alabama before transporting away from the border. Having your ducks in a row ahead of time to avoid a possible nightmare is what I would be sure and do. Talk to someone at the Alabama motor vehicles would get a name and keep a record of who and when you had the conversation.

Remember years ago, nineties maybe even the eighties a friend told me about someone who had taken a 40 across the border from Canada all the way to Arizona. He then tried to get it titled in Arizona only to be told he needed the customs paper work from where it crossed the border. Without it at the time the was not allowed to be titled or registered for the road. This was a long time ago and things may have changed. Alabama is a long ways from the Canadian border in Montana. I would check with local motor vehicles in Alabama before transporting away from the border. Having your ducks in a row ahead of time to avoid a possible nightmare is what I would be sure and do. Talk to someone at the Alabama motor vehicles would get a name and keep a record of who and when you had the conversation.
Very solid advice. I did speak with “Pam” at the State level DMV office. She stated that all I would need to register in Alabama was a copy of the current owner’s registration, (no titles in Canada) a Bill of Sale, and a Form 7501 from CPB…which is actually more of a packet than a form at 25 pages.

Purchased our 97Lx in Alberta. Flew up and drove back. 45 minutes at the border and done. Bill of sale, duties and received custom forms. No issues with Az DMV. Enjoy the trip and have fun.

Purchased our 97Lx in Alberta. Flew up and drove back. 45 minutes at the border and done. Bill of sale, duties and received custom forms. No issues with Az DMV. Enjoy the trip and have fun.
That sounds like the best route so far. The only difference would be the 72 hour window for a negative COVID test, and the longer drive home. Did you deal with the “Form 7501” while there at the border crossing, or, perhaps beforehand? Do you recall where you crossed the border? It looks like there’s only a small handful on the southern Alberta border into Montana. I apologize for all of the questions, but certainly appreciate the help!

You'll likely be crossing at the Sweetgrass border crossing on I15 if you're coming south from the Calgary/Edmonton direction, it is the major port of entry on the MT/AB border. In addition to the CBP 7501 you'll need an EPA 3520 and an HS-7. If you drive the vehicle across you don't need to worry about any of these in advance, the customs officers will have the appropriate forms there for you to fill out. Like @Jim S. said it usually doesn't take very long.

Crossed at Coots / Sweet Grass Mt. Probably the shortest route to start out on. Gas is $$$ in Canada. It's been a few years and I don't recall the form numbers but we had filled out a bunch. Customs didn't want to look at them and never looked at the vehicle. I did make sure one of the forms was stamped, which I believe what we presented to the DMV. Regarding duties, we were assessed at Kelley Blue Book value. Not only was this substantially more than I purchased the truck for but Montana's Kelly book had listed values greater than the Az. blue book. Probably not an issue for the '55. We left the Alberta tags on the vehicle with the offer to send them back to the seller. No fuss with temporary tags.

You'll likely be crossing at the Sweetgrass border crossing on I15 if you're coming south from the Calgary/Edmonton direction, it is the major port of entry on the MT/AB border. In addition to the CBP 7501 you'll need an EPA 3520 and an HS-7. If you drive the vehicle across you don't need to worry about any of these in advance, the customs officers will have the appropriate forms there for you to fill out. Like @Jim S. said it usually doesn't take very long.
You make it sound pretty easy - I like it

Crossed at Coots / Sweet Grass Mt. Probably the shortest route to start out on. Gas is $$$ in Canada. It's been a few years and I don't recall the form numbers but we had filled out a bunch. Customs didn't want to look at them and never looked at the vehicle. I did make sure one of the forms was stamped, which I believe what we presented to the DMV. Regarding duties, we were assessed at Kelley Blue Book value. Not only was this substantially more than I purchased the truck for but Montana's Kelly book had listed values greater than the Az. blue book. Probably not an issue for the '55. We left the Alberta tags on the vehicle with the offer to send them back to the seller. No fuss with temporary tags.
Thank you. That is all very useful information. I will likely be at that same crossing. That’s interesting about the KBB values.
I’m leaning towards having it shipped once stateside. Driving 2300 miles home in a 44 year old vehicle that hasn’t been on any trips longer than around town in recent years, doesn’t sound like a well thought out plan on my part. Not to say it wouldn’t be fun, but…

@BW100 I’m over in Enterprise. Good luck securing the rig!

You make it sound pretty easy - I like it
If you're importing an individual vehicle for personal use that's over 25 years old, it is! If you're importing with intent to resell, not so much.

Also, for what its worth I've always been charged duty based on the purchase price of the vehicle, so it would be a good idea to have a bill of sale or similar to present as proof of purchase price. However, anything may change depending on the customs official you end up with and their knowledge (or lack thereof) of the import process.

If you're importing an individual vehicle for personal use that's over 25 years old, it is! If you're importing with intent to resell, not so much.

Also, for what its worth I've always been charged duty based on the purchase price of the vehicle, so it would be a good idea to have a bill of sale or similar to present as proof of purchase price. However, anything may change depending on the customs official you end up with and their knowledge (or lack thereof) of the import process.
While it is for personal use, how does one prove that, and how does CBP know the difference? I’ve also been referred (by outside sources) to a Customs Broker, but I’ve yet to figure out what the broker does exactly in this scenario. As you and others have said, you handled it all yourself without issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom