1966 FJ40 Factory Soft Top Find (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all! I found my second landcruiser (I have a '96 80 series) a few weeks ago and wanted to share the story and some pics.
I was at a local tile store and noticed a nice 100 series parked outside. It had California plates (which is unusual here on Vancouver Island, BC) on it. As I was leaving I asked a fellow if it was his and commented how nice it was. He said yes and mentioned he had another and it may be for sale! Of course I asked what it was and how much he was asking...he said to just come and have a look at it. A few days later I headed over to his place and had a good look at it. As this is my first 40 series (I'm more of a VW bus guy) I wasn't really sure of what to look for but did realize this was quite dry and seemed to be in good shape overall. I wasn't super keen on taking on another project (I have a '66 Westfalia SO44) but thought I should scoop this up if the price was right...
We made a deal and I went out last week to grab it with my brother and a friend and brought it back here to the school (where I'm a wood shop teacher) and put it on the hoist next door. I'll attach some pics later...it's looking quite dry overall, just scaly/loose surface rust but not much in the way of perforations. The exception are the soft top doors...the skins are rusted through in places and will require repair/replacement.
As you'll see it has a fabricated hard top that looks a little goofy but seems to be effective. I think they've welded it to the body unfortunately but it shouldn't be too hard to remove eventually...
It's got some goofy 80's van bucket seats in but I'm on the hunt for the proper bucket/bench seat...(anybody?) This will better suit the column shift/3 on the tree.
It came with one decent rear side facing bench...I bought another on marketplace but it's the same side! Anybody need a passenger side rear bench and/or have a driver's side up for grabs?
The rear lower swinging spare tire hinge was seized and I foolishly forced it open too much and broke the hinge strap. I'll try to remove it from the body and apply heat to drive the pin out....then weld or fabricate a new strap for the hinge.
I dropped the old oil today and backed off and removed the front drums....the brake shoes and wheel cylinders look brand new!
My goal is a "preservation" rather than a "restoration"...I love old stuff and kinda like keeping it old/vintage looking. As you can see it has (what I think) an 80's respray but I think the colour works.
That's probaby enough for now! I am pretty pumped!!

Pics bro!

Here are some pics:

5B5BD1DB-1130-4136-A690-051C177FB324.jpeg

CA27D1FD-A478-4D23-B58F-E69422ECD35A.jpeg

A6E065C6-BBBD-479D-BA0A-EDCF3A1F4FD1.jpeg

29AE71BF-C872-439B-BC0D-E94CEE001813.jpeg

nice find
does it have a heater?

Very odd for a 67 to not have s factory heater? Do you have the vin #.
I will have a look tomorrow and tell you
It did come here (to Canada) from California many years ago
I also thought it was strange that it’s labelled 24V??

Very odd for a 67 to not have s factory heater? Do you have the vin #.

that's what I thought, as there is no vent on the passenger side.
is that an early FST thing?
wonder if it was in central America first?

2 wiper motors or one?
the cowl vent and if it has 2 wiper motors, would make it a 67, but it has round turn signals

are there holes in the hood for the mounts and hooks for the windshield to fold down

I'll bite. No holes on the hood? That's not normal is it? Love the round fender lights the best but can't remember which years right now. I have never seen metal skins on the factory soft doors. Isn't that odd, or not? '70 is the earliest I know a lot about.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom