Builds My LC79 build, HZJ79 body, 2uz/A343f UZJ79 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

beautiful build. What were the most notable challenges and solutions? What sort of Can experience did you have before taking this on? How do the gauges interface with the 2UZ ECU?
How thick is that transmission crossmember where it’s notched? Ive had a few like that crack where they neck down after a lot of miles, something to keep an eye on.

Well there was no build thread so technically I’m still correct but if you want to keep being Butt hurt by that comment then that’s fine too.
Just an attempt at humor .... nothing more, nothing less.
If I ever do suffer from “butt hurt” it won’t be due to something posted on ‘MUD. 😊

Last edited:
Awesome build , so clean it looks oem . Where did you find the Recaro's ? I used to have some like that in Europe and for my next build I would like to get another set of Recaro's as I like them better then the Scheelmann seats that I put in my troopy .

Thanks! The seats I got from 425 motorsports in Washington, they’re a Recaro dealer and listed on the Recaro website. Took me forever to decide what seats I was going to use, factory, Recaro, or Scheelman. Was really wanting med gray leather Recaro to match the interior but the wait time was too long as I was wrapping up the build by the time I made up my mind so I ended up with black vinyl, the important part is they are comfortable.

beautiful build. What were the most notable challenges and solutions? What sort of Can experience did you have before taking this on? How do the gauges interface with the 2UZ ECU?
How thick is that transmission crossmember where it’s notched? Ive had a few like that crack where they neck down after a lot of miles, something to keep an eye on.
I’d say the wiring was definitely the biggest challenge as it was a big question from the beginning of the project as to whether it was going to work or not. Especially getting the guage cluster to work or would it even work at all. No experience with CAN going into this, assuming you mean canbus. At this point all the guages work. I opted for the “nicer” guage cluster as I wanted a tach, oil pressure. Had to use a Dakota digital adapter to get the tach to work, it’s still off about 3-500 rpm when comparing to my scan guage. Speedo appears to be accurate in kph. Fuel gauge is questionable right now as it moved to just over the half tank mark which is about accurate but hasn’t seemed to drop but I haven’t driven it a whole lot.

The crossmember is something I will be keeping an eye on as I knew notching it would create a weak point. I made it out of 2x4x1/4 and plated the area that was notched.

F59D827A-B221-4384-9565-A13F1B8E09CA.jpeg

383E8AB8-A537-4C1B-87C8-C7780D3CFB07.jpeg

7D582680-0C84-46A6-A909-D29A6E853636.jpeg

I assumed that these gauge clusters used a Can setup like all the other new stuff. Nice that isn’t the case, makes swaps a lot easier.
That crossmember ought to be ok if you don’t hammer it since it’s still kinda boxed, I would still keep an eye on it though.

Holy hell that crossmember is a work of art. The likelihood of that breaking is about zero. Please keep sharing the little stuff. Incredible. Makes me want to find something to put a 2UZ in. That’s the best Toyota motor I’ve ever had.

I assumed that these gauge clusters used a Can setup like all the other new stuff. Nice that isn’t the case, makes swaps a lot easier.
That crossmember ought to be ok if you don’t hammer it since it’s still kinda boxed, I would still keep an eye on it though.
I assumed the GrJ79, and possibly the Vdj79’s we’re running canbus. I also saw a pic of the grj79 firewall that led me to believe this. The hzj79 firewall looked “normal” to me or at least the driver and passenger sides had the round cutouts to pass wiring through. The grj79 has rectangular cutout on the passenger side for an ecu/computer to mount to. The cluster I’m running is supposedly for an hzj79 but not sure on that. The wiring diagram for the cluster references all three models or different engine/body types. So assuming all models can use the same clusters as long as they are within the correct year range.

1EF21B06-7E35-4C9E-951C-FC5D3BCBC4F5.jpeg

Last edited:
Your cluster does look like a HZJ cluster with the redline being 4500.

P
Your cluster does look like a HZJ cluster with the redline being 4500.
I believe the HZJ cluster has a speedometer that tops out at 180kph whereas the VDJ version tops out at 200kph.

Yeah I just ran the part # again and it only lists hzj79,76,78 part # 83800-60v90
I‘m fairly sure that both the HZJ and VDJ tachs redline at 4,500rpm so the only easily recognizable difference is the speedometer.

Wow, stunning truck! Everything is so clean and tidy, it looks factory. Excellent work!

Sweet build! Nice job. I like the 2uz!

Here’s where it started. After little success in securing an 80 series that would act as a donor for my project I Was able to locate a rolling frame with a clear title. I reached out to a guy I got parts from back when I was into pickups/4runners and just so happened he had several 80 frames and a pair of locked axles. I drove down to put eyes on everything and made a deal. 94 80 series rust free frame, the locked axles were from another 80 he had. He even delivered it to me and I immediately got started cleaning it up with a power washer. I then stripped down the frame removing every bracket, nut, and bolt. Axles we’re also pulled stripped and the housings sent to the blaster.

Day of delivery
1B193E10-885D-42BE-AAEE-1BCED4BF0681.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom