1995 jdm 80 series (k295) center diff locking button but doesn't have the switch for front or rear? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to buy a 1995 80 series thats been imported from japan the listing says it has center, front and rear but doesn’t have the switch for the front or the rear is there a difference between LSD or locking differential (switch wise) and information will be very helpful since I am new to land cruisers all together.

The vin code for the FR & RR lockers is k294 and the switch is the same round dial. The center diff lock switch is standard on some and not on others. At least I haven’t seen anything to contradict that. I lived in Japan for 5 years.

The vin code for the FR & RR lockers is k294 and the switch is the same round dial. The center diff lock switch is standard on some and not on others. At least I haven’t seen anything to contradict that. I lived in Japan for 5 years.
If it was just LSD would it have the switch also?

Not unless someone threw one in there to make it look like it was something it isn’t. I’m sure it’s rare but I heard of people getting ripped because they relied on pics only

Not unless someone threw one in there to make it look like it was something it isn’t. I’m sure it’s rare but I heard of people getting ripped because they relied on pics only
Im going to look at it in person soon thank you for helping me out

Im going to look at it in person soon thank you for helping me out
Make sure you drive it and actually engage all lockers. Take it to a dirt road if there is one or go very slowly in the parking lot.

Engage one at a time and make sure it actually locks into place. Sometimes these actuators shît the bed and can get costly.

LSD stands for "Limited Slip Differential". Different than a "Locking Differential" or a "Lunchbox Locker".

These do not require a switch and are Limited Slip with clutch plates inside. These operate on differences in rotational speed and torque and work well in mud, but not as much on the rocks. They may or may not actually be in there. You have to open up the differential to see if it's really there.

I am not aware of the K295 code, so you may search that to determine exactly what it means.

Be very wary of "deals" like this and realize you may not be getting what you think you're getting, especially if you don't know what it all means and ask the right questions.

K295 is a axle code for a diesel powered R&P axle, taller gears - 292 & 294 were the only ones USDM got as we’re all gas.

I posted it before there’s 4-5 axle codes from 292 thru either 295 or 296, IIRC 293 was a diesel R&P ratio LSD, but offhand I forget 295.

If you search my username, and the uncommon axle codes - you should come up with the ratios of R&P’s the 293/295 got & what other features like LSD, etc.

HTH.

If it’s LSD, then it wouldn’t have a factory e-locker/functional locker rotary switch.

Highly unlikely it’s got an aftermarket locker either as a Torsen axle is the closest you could come to having a LSD/near-locking hybrid. And it’s not a locker, more a torque multiplier to reduce ‘1 tire fire’.

AFAIK, LSD & diff lockers are mutually exclusive - it’s a either/or situation.

But in the world of used vehicles, almost anything is possible.

My door sticker is K292 but I did K294/4.88’s & the e-locker portion is all OEM parts I swapped into my 80.

K295 is a axle code for a diesel powered R&P axle, taller gears - 292 & 294 were the only ones USDM got as we’re all gas.

I posted it before there’s 4-5 axle codes from 292 thru either 295 or 296, IIRC 293 was a diesel R&P ratio LSD, but offhand I forget 295.

If you search my username, and the uncommon axle codes - you should come up with the ratios of R&P’s the 293/295 got & what other features like LSD, etc.

HTH.
My diesel powered HDJ81 with f/r lockers is k294 I believe. Most, if not all, diesel trucks have the same 4.10 ratio the gas trucks have.

For an example, there's a 93 in the classifieds with a K295 axle code.

My diesel powered HDJ81 with f/r lockers is k294 I believe. Most, if not all, diesel trucks have the same 4.10 ratio the gas trucks have.

Canada may be an anomaly - I believe that ROW glow-plugged 80’s came in a 3.xx varient.

Canada gets some real crazy mix of cars, esp German built - Offhand the dry-sump S50B30 BMW M3 & a Passat Synchro (AWD) sedan & wagon.

It was ripe for picking floorpans & drivelines to build AWD GTI‘s (homebrew Rallye Golf) & before the USDM got the S54B32 BMW motor, the real S50B30 or -32 was the only motor aside from a S38 (M5’s) - that you could transplant into a E30 body & dust N/A 911’s & non-Z06 / LS7 Corvettes.

Seems like a Prelude SH / BB6 body you got was the Euro motor too - so you had the JDM motor with the SH / Quaife diff so it was super potent (I had a USDM ‘Lude SH, our motor was inferior by quite a bit).

Just to cite a few examples of CA rides that spanked USDM versions.

————————

To the axles / codes :

But it would be interesting to see your door sticker - I know the chart I posted was correct info, just not what all countries got what drivetrains.

I’d be surprised if you’re not a K295 (3.xx ratio, non-LSD with a e-locker package).
Unless the earlier non-turbo diesels got a 4.10 ratio, but I’d never heard of it.

But anything is possible in CA destination rigs - that I’ve learned more than a few times ;)

Canada may be an anomaly - I believe that ROW glow-plugged 80’s came in a 3.xx varient.

Canada gets some real crazy mix of cars, esp German built - Offhand the dry-sump S50B30 BMW M3 & a Passat Synchro (AWD) sedan & wagon.

It was ripe for picking floorpans & drivelines to build AWD GTI‘s (homebrew Rallye Golf) & before the USDM got the S54B32 BMW motor, the real S50B30 or -32 was the only motor aside from a S38 (M5’s) - that you could transplant into a E30 body & dust N/A 911’s & non-Z06 / LS7 Corvettes.

Seems like a Prelude SH / BB6 body you got was the Euro motor too - so you had the JDM motor with the SH / Quaife diff so it was super potent (I had a USDM ‘Lude SH, our motor was inferior by quite a bit).

Just to cite a few examples of CA rides that spanked USDM versions.

————————

To the axles / codes :

But it would be interesting to see your door sticker - I know the chart I posted was correct info, just not what all countries got what drivetrains.

I’d be surprised if you’re not a K295 (3.xx ratio, non-LSD with a e-locker package).
Unless the earlier non-turbo diesels got a 4.10 ratio, but I’d never heard of it.

But anything is possible in CA destination rigs - that I’ve learned more than a few times ;)
HDJ81's are Japanese domestic market vehicles - diesel 80's weren't sold in Canada new. If I remember I'll grab a pic of the plate.

It's certainly 4.10 ratio w/ elockers, turbo diesel, automatic. Very common drivetrain for a diesel 80. 3.xx ratio axles are exceedingly rare.

K294 has lockers...

TLC Axle Codes.jpg

HDJ81's are Japanese domestic market vehicles - diesel 80's weren't sold in Canada new. If I remember I'll grab a pic of the plate.

It's certainly 4.10 ratio w/ elockers, turbo diesel, automatic. Very common drivetrain for a diesel 80. 3.xx ratio axles are exceedingly rare.

I’m not versed in glowplug 80’s (1st to own it :hillbilly: ) - so I’ll take your word on 3.xx ratios as rare in the Americas - I forget who in Panama by nam, but they had the LSD/3.xx & I was under the impression the TQ of the diesel let them just go to taller gears by default.

But I’ll believe you, I’ve only ever driven one once & co-pilot in 3 different ones, but none did I ever look at the door tag.

Only one I drove was LHD (only one I had interest in TBH) - I’m just not a fan of the RHD imports :meh:

Only one I drove was LHD (only one I had interest in TBH) - I’m just not a fan of the RHD imports :meh:
Wasn't my preference either but 10yrs later I can't say I regret and and I'm certainly more than used to it. It's a question of balancing the condition, mileage, and options of an import vs the convenience of LHD. We were short changed hard in North America per usual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom