Help! - Replacing Warn 6 Spine Short Hubs with 6 Spine Long Hubs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NYIronPig

YES I have a problem...
SILVER Star
Threads
My early 1972 FJ40 has a very rough set of Warn 6 spine short hubs. I have a much nicer set of Warn 6 spine Long hubs on my shelf. Was going to get started on a swap, but wanted to check in here first to make sure this was an easy job? Is it as simple as unbolting the 6 bolts on each hub, slide them off and then slide the new longer hub on? Welcome any thought/advice!

IMG_1217.jpg

IMG_1218.jpg

IMG_1219.jpg

Last edited:
Fairly straight forward to install long hubs. Remove the dial face using the six Allen bolts. Slide the hub main body on the axle and install hex head bolts. There is a C washer that clips on the axle and against the inside of the hub main body. You can use an M8 bolt to pull the axle out to get the C washer/clip in place. Install dial face and Allen bolts. Be sure to grease everything and use gaskets.

Not sure on removing short hubs.

Fairly straight forward to install long hubs. Remove the dial face using the six Allen bolts. Slide the hub main body on the axle and install hex head bolts. There is a C washer that clips on the axle and against the inside of the hub main body. You can use an M8 bolt to pull the axle out to get the C washer/clip in place. Install dial face and Allen bolts. Be sure to grease everything and use gaskets.

Not sure on removing short hubs.
believe the early 70's 6 spine Warn hubs don't have a ring but a bolt like seen here:

warnhub2-jpg.1622614

Well good news is the out bolted right off and the newer installed with great ease. Looks so much better and smooth as butter with new gaskets, lube and screws.

Went to remove the 2nd hub and one of the 6 bolts has a bit of a rounded head and won't loosen with my ratchet. Lubed it good, then heated it up. Tried hand wrench, vice grips and still won't budge. 13MM socket want catch it. Any ideas other than cutting and drilling out? Any one ever use a bolt extractor like this?

Bolt Extractor Kit

New Hub on driver side:

IMG_1220.jpg

Last edited:
I have not used a bolt extractor but I would think that should do the trick.

Are you using a 6 sided socket or 12 right now?

Another thought…can’t tell for sure but it ‘looks‘ like you have enough room to use a Flare Wrench??

I have not used a bolt extractor but I would think that should do the trick.

Are you using a 6 sided socket or 12 right now?
Using a good quality 12 sided socket, going to try the Bolt extractor as my next stop. Ordered a set tonight.

Another thought…can’t tell for sure but it ‘looks‘ like you have enough room to use a Flare Wrench??
Tried, but not getting enough leverage with that.

On stubborn bolts I ONLY use 6 sided sockets and/or 6 sided wrenches…maybe add a cheater bar or breaker bar. Good luck.

Well good news is the out bolted right off and the newer installed with great ease. Looks so much better and smooth as butter with new gaskets, lube and screws.

Went to remove the 2nd hub and one of the 6 bolts has a bit of a rounded head and won't loosen with my ratchet. Lubed it good, then heated it up. Tried hand wrench, vice grips and still won't budge. 13MM socket want catch it. Any ideas other than cutting and drilling out? Any one ever use a bolt extractor like this?

Bolt Extractor Kit

New Hub on driver side:

View attachment 2804890
I have had good luck with these on rounded heads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom