Anyone tried or know about this Diff breather kit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im about to try and clean out my front diff breather since I just got new axle seals and then noticed theres still a leak.
Im thinking its the breather and also that maybe its time I go ahead and get either the Arb kit… or maybe this one if anyone has some helpful feedback?

On their site it says they believe theyre the best kit on the market!? This one uses 4 breathers vs the 2 that Arb uses in their kit.

I don’t know enough about this subject to know if that actually is better or not.

What do yall think?

Im about to try and clean out my front diff breather since I just got new axle seals and then noticed theres still a leak.
Im thinking its the breather and also that maybe its time I go ahead and get either the Arb kit… or maybe this one if anyone has some helpful feedback?

On their site it says they believe theyre the best kit on the market!? This one uses 4 breathers vs the 2 that Arb uses in their kit.

I don’t know enough about this subject to know if that actually is better or not.

What do yall think?
I forgot to link this one i found in a search too

Those seem pricy for my purposes, would new hose longer with a fuel filter at the end not cover what you need? If i was going to spend that much money i would expect to have a bladder and make it a closed but pressure flexible system.

Yeah $140 for diff ventilation..
6a00e54eee7f20883400e551e5f8348834-800wi.jpeg

Those kits look like a solution looking for a new problem to me. Why terminate all 4 breathers at a single block unless you do plan to make it a closed system with a single bladder.

longer hose and fuel filters have worked for me for a long time. About $25 in supplies. I’ve done nothing to my T-case or trans. Deep water crossings are really rare for me.

Where's the leak, gear oil into the knuckles or grease into the axle housing. A couple causes of gear oil leaking past a new axle seal is: worn axle shaft (from old seal) or improperly installed axle seal (angled or the garter spring popped off). Wits End sells a seal installation tool that seats the axle seal a bit deeper to avoid the wear groove in the axle shaft. Grease getting sucked into the axle housing is generally due to the breather being plugged/inadequate. Some people have enlarged the ID of the breather pipe and then bypassed the factory breather using a section of oil resistant hose running up to the engine bay. FWIW

Where's the leak, gear oil into the knuckles or grease into the axle housing. A couple causes of gear oil leaking past a new axle seal is: worn axle shaft (from old seal) or improperly installed axle seal (angled or the garter spring popped off). Wits End sells a seal installation tool that seats the axle seal a bit deeper to avoid the wear groove in the axle shaft. Grease getting sucked into the axle housing is generally due to the breather being plugged/inadequate. Some people have enlarged the ID of the breather pipe and then bypassed the factory breather using a section of oil resistant hose running up to the engine bay. FWIW
Its leaking into the axle housing. I noticed the grease around the bottom. As it was leaking similar last week before I got new axle seals.
I only asked because this is new to me and everything ive done is by myself from reading and learning how to do the work on my own. I dont know much about what problems can lead to other problems etc. so thank you for helping me with direct advice.
I only asked about those other diff breathers because I didnt really understand the functionality of breathers. Now i get it, ill def figure out a plan of action and work on it soon as im able to, thanks again!

Those seem pricy for my purposes, would new hose longer with a fuel filter at the end not cover what you need? If i was going to spend that much money i would expect to have a bladder and make it a closed but pressure flexible system.
Im understanding it now, and why these products arent really necessary. Im learning as i go, thank you!

So how about something like this then?

Im still figuring out what words to use for search

Ruien Oil Catch Can Square Shape Aluminum Reservoir with Breather Filter 500ML Black Amazon product ASIN B07BQS1JG8

I watched a video on youtube, overland bound, with dan rich whos a toyota r&d.
He had a similar system but his catch can was round and im having a hard time understanding, like for one example why is there holes for two tubes? The breather is one tube from the axle up to the firewall where it can be mounted to a filter right? What is the second hole for?
Im getting a little confused on this part

Each to their own. I personally dropped over $100 on mine. I got a kit like this on ebay for around $80:
I then got some barbed adapter fittings to screw into the bottom, and ran rubber fuel hose instead of the stuff they included. Sure, I could have done it for a fraction of the price with just some fuel hose, inline filters, and a few zip ties, but that nice machined block of aluminium makes me happy. And lets face it, I've dropped far more money than that into my cruiser on items that are far less important, why be responsible now? :D

A catch can is for the PCV system on the engine.

That's not what you're asking about.

What you need is about 6 feet of 1/4" fuel hose, a 1/4" clear-ish fuel filter and 4 small hose clamps.

You remove the hose to the factory breather on the axle. Remove the fitting and clean it out so you can easily blow through it. If there is a tiny orifice in it, you need to drill it out to the largest size drill bit that will fit in the tube.
Cut 12" off the hose to place on the opposite side of the filter in a later step.
Drape the hose over the brake booster and down to the front axle, keeping it away from moving parts (and exhaust if a 91-92)
Install the fuel filter in the end of the hose up high by the brake booster. Make sure it is on the "up" side of the hose and in a vertical position.
Install the 12" piece of hose on the opposite end of the hose and drape it over the booster in such a way that it is pointing down. This creates an "airlock" for an air bubble to stay if you go deep in water.
Attach the bottom end of the hose to the fitting on the axle. Keep it as vertical as possible, but make sure to leave about6-8" of slack to allow for axle movement during articulation.
Install hose clamps at each junction.
Use zip ties to attach it to things up above and keep it in place.

Total cost for front axle breather: About $10. I bought all my stuff from Amazon.

I watched a video on youtube, overland bound, with dan rich whos a toyota r&d.
He had a similar system but his catch can was round and im having a hard time understanding, like for one example why is there holes for two tubes? The breather is one tube from the axle up to the firewall where it can be mounted to a filter right? What is the second hole for?
Im getting a little confused on this part
Post made in error.

Last edited:
A catch can is for the PCV system on the engine.

That's not what you're asking about.

What you need is about 6 feet of 1/4" fuel hose, a 1/4" clear-ish fuel filter and 4 small hose clamps.

You remove the hose to the factory breather on the axle. Remove the fitting and clean it out so you can easily blow through it. If there is a tiny orifice in it, you need to drill it out to the largest size drill bit that will fit in the tube.
Cut 12" off the hose to place on the opposite side of the filter in a later step.
Drape the hose over the brake booster and down to the front axle, keeping it away from moving parts (and exhaust if a 91-92)
Install the fuel filter in the end of the hose up high by the brake booster. Make sure it is on the "up" side of the hose and in a vertical position.
Install the 12" piece of hose on the opposite end of the hose and drape it over the booster in such a way that it is pointing down. This creates an "airlock" for an air bubble to stay if you go deep in water.
Attach the bottom end of the hose to the fitting on the axle. Keep it as vertical as possible, but make sure to leave about6-8" of slack to allow for axle movement during articulation.
Install hose clamps at each junction.
Use zip ties to attach it to things up above and keep it in place.

Total cost for front axle breather: About $10. I bought all my stuff from Amazon.
🙏🏼 Thank you @BILT4ME !

Ok Im gonna look these pieces up and do this.
Also, i copied a link to what i think is the part youre explaining about drilling the fitting. I read this just now, is this what your talking about?

Post in thread 'Front Differential leak'
Front Differential leak - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/front-differential-leak.1177741/post-12753669

Yes, that's the fitting I'm referring to.

I have seen some have a tiny orifice and some do not. I recently checked mine and mine was already open (not just a pinhole). However, when I first did mine, my fitting was clogged with hardened grease so it was plugged.

The following are links to exactly what I used. This is enough to do front and rear. (have to buy a filter for each thing vented)

Wix fuel filter as breather

1/4" Fuel Hose (25 ft)

Hose clamps

Line clamps

That gentleman isn't a Toyota R&D, lol. I would suggest you find other sources for your information as he seems to fall prey to "what he has is the best" Without trying other options or really understanding his own limitations as a mechanic.
So the guy who made overland bound is not an R&D.
Yes.
But there is a certain episode with Dan Rich on it who IS. Heres a link, if anyone watches it…

The part im referring to is at the 15:00 minute mark.

So the guy who made overland bound is not an R&D.
Yes.
But there is a certain episode with Dan Rich on it who IS. Heres a link, if anyone watches it…

The part im referring to is at the 15:00 minute mark.

Oh I am sorry that is not the guy I was thinking about. I was thinking about Jailbreak Overlander his name is Rich as well. Sorry for the confusion! I will change my previous post.

Yes, that's the fitting I'm referring to.

I have seen some have a tiny orifice and some do not. I recently checked mine and mine was already open (not just a pinhole). However, when I first did mine, my fitting was clogged with hardened grease so it was plugged.

The following are links to exactly what I used. This is enough to do front and rear. (have to buy a filter for each thing vented)

Wix fuel filter as breather

1/4" Fuel Hose (25 ft)

Hose clamps

Line clamps
Awesome! Hey again I really appreciate the directions kind sir, Im going to add all of those in my “cart” right now and attempt this asap! Seems easy enough to do even with my broken clavicle💪🏼🦾

If you happen to watch the youtube video that i linked, could you help explain what he did to that catch can at the 15:00 minute mark? He said he “repurposed” the pcv canister.
I understand you explained normally its for something else but it looks like he used it in a different way, as part of the breather system?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom