Hot Air Intake, HAI with Headers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm using the stock air cleaner to draw up air from around the exhaust / header pipe number one. This is a working prototype made from a 45 degree exhaust connector, a piece of 1" structural angle steel, and a section of flexible exhaust to take up the slack between the O.D. of the air cleaner, and the I.D. of the bent pipe.

20210929_175950.jpg

The thermostatic control on the '75 air cleaner assembly above is probably wasted. So, it will get a manual control, just like the '74 air cleaner had. Right now, it is a choke cable stop, and a piece of stiffer than bailing wire to adjust the original flapper.

20210930_112047.jpg

20210929_180003.jpg

So far, it seemed to help, but it is kinda early to tell. I'm watching to make sure that I don't cook my air filter or whatever, but, I really think that this might help with winter wheeling.

Thoughts?

Interesting. When you say the thermostatic control is wasted, what do you mean?

Interesting. When you say the thermostatic control is wasted, what do you mean?
There is a spring loaded piston that is temperature sensitive. It operates the flapper. I put the two that I have against a heat source, they weren't responsive. All this time, I have been driving with the HAI flapper valve removed from my air cleaner assembly, until yesterday.

On an '82 FJ60 air cleaner assembly, in my parts stash, there is a vacuum diaphragm to operate the flapper, then vacuum source is controlled like Toyota did for the thermostat housing, with a temp controlled vac source. Even my '85 Nissan pickup has one.

I thought that someone here said that the factory had the air cleaner blending cool and warm air to maintain something between 80 and 90 deg. F during the cooler months?

When Jim @Downey designed the smog legal header, he had someone with a tubing notcher make a batch of short, notched tubing sleeves that also had slots cut 180 degrees off from the notches so you could put a hose clamp through the sleeve and clamp it to the header. Then an OTC flex hose to the air cleaner. Done.

When Jim @Downey designed the smog legal header, he had someone with a tubing notcher make a batch of short, notched tubing sleeves that also had slots cut 180 degrees off from the notches so you could put a hose clamp through the sleeve and clamp it to the header. Then an OTC flex hose to the air cleaner. Done.
That sounds cleaner than mine, screws holding it to the intake manifold. Nice.

That sounds cleaner than mine, screws holding it to the intake manifold. Nice.
I might have one left. Leave me a voicemail and I’ll hav a look Monday and post a pic if I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom