'96 LX450 Oil Leak Worsened After PCV Valve Change (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

I'm having an oil leak issue with my '96 LX 450. Currently it has 480k miles on it and I just replaced the PCV Valve and hoses with this PCV Valve Kit. Before, the car would leak here or there and burn oil and I would need to put in a quart of oil every 2k miles or so. I had the oil changed 1.5k miles ago and filled it. After replacing the PCV Valve and hoses, I noticed that I am losing oil at a faster rate, and noticing puddles of oil vs just a couple drips on the floor.

Did I get a bad PCV Valve or install it improperly? I read in another forum that since my car has been driving with a bad PCV Valve for awhile, that I messed it up by putting in a new one. Any help/insight helps.

The advice from the "other forum" is not very helpful.

Where are the location of the leaks? If you're getting puddles then it should be very easy to locate. Clean up the location to verify. Post up some pictures to get better advise as to the cause and suggested repair. What brand/type of oil was used and is it the same as used before? Changing oil type or weight can cause oil leaks.

If you shake the PVC you should hear/feel internal movement which would indicate the valve is not sticking and most likely working properly.

In any case leaks most always get worse over time and should be addressed with new seals, gaskets or replacement of worn parts. A engine with 450K miles is not going to be leak free without proper maintenance.

Good news: I was able to verify the oil leak hasn't worsened, but in fact it was actually my Power Steering Pump. That thing is apparently on it's way out as it is now leaking out of control.

I will take pictures of the leak and the location, but as far as I'm concerned, I'm happy it isn't more oil!

Good news: I was able to verify the oil leak hasn't worsened, but in fact it was actually my Power Steering Pump. That thing is apparently on it's way out as it is now leaking out of control.

I will take pictures of the leak and the location, but as far as I'm concerned, I'm happy it isn't more oil!
Might as well rebuild it and change all the hoses while you're in there.
Its a :banana: maybe :banana::banana: job.

Might as well rebuild it and change all the hoses while you're in there.
Its a :banana: maybe :banana::banana: job.
I was thinking the same. I managed to find a youtube video AND complimentary ih8mud Instructions so it is on my list of things to be done ASAP. While the parts get shipped, here is a beautiful stain that is being left on the street. :rofl:

Xu1xCcZ.jpg

Unless the PS isn't working why rebuild it? It's most likely a hose or coupling.

I'm somewhat local and can help you through the job. I have the wits' end gear holder too. What video helped?

Accompanying ih8mud link - Power Steering Pump and Hose Replacement - FAQ - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/power-steering-pump-and-hose-replacement-faq.201920/

Unless the PS isn't working why rebuild it? It's most likely a hose or coupling.
In the thread I linked above, my LX450 is leaking from the same area depicted here. Picture from said thread. Below is more of what my underneath looks like and how bad it is.

1xgLGBc.jpg

wmOO4iJ.jpg

xm0DQjn.jpg

tl4Dn3B.jpg

Accompanying ih8mud link - Power Steering Pump and Hose Replacement - FAQ - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/power-steering-pump-and-hose-replacement-faq.201920/

In the thread I linked above, my LX450 is leaking from the same area depicted here. Picture from said thread. Below is more of what my underneath looks like and how bad it is.

View attachment 2795686

View attachment 2795687

View attachment 2795688

View attachment 2795692

If you want to make it another 450k - ditch that Fram!

Having traveled this path, recommend buy new OEM pump over pump rebuild - bought or performed.
In either case, be gentle and attentive when removing the drive gear from old ps pump to avoid bending/warpage and the resulting 'knocking sounds' present thereafter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom